Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn

Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn

Posted by: TranceCode - Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am
 [ 29 posts ] 
Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 pm
STIG blows its nose (off)

Looks like it will be coming down tail first after all. Interesting. I was thinking that they would land nose down, and have a crushable nose cone like in the early days.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:03 am
I'd like to see them jettison the chute and fire up the engine approx 100m from the ground and do a proper powered landing.

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:42 am
Re: stand, this isn't the first one that's required one, but it is certainly more complex than the legs that the telescoping mod took off from. The rocket is shown on the stand in one of the videos, but I can cut together a video of just the stand if people want. I designed it, it's kind of weird to satisfy the requirements I was given, but it works pretty well. After the rocket lifts up about two inches the stand lets go of the rocket and suddenly the stand is 18" away from the body of the rocket. It also has a loadcell for weighing the rocket while loading propellants.

Re Stig, it's really just Stig, named after the Top Gear character as I talked about in one of my updates. The backronym was just something Neil made up, he spends too much time talking to Nasa. :-)

Re going really high, yeah, we're ultimately a space company, and time to get going.

(I find it funny that the acronym for the big vehicle [SOST] is pronounced "sauced", i.e. drunk. But that could just be me.)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am
Oh, the crate. I came up with that too, Joseph and James built it. Except for the trailer frame, I put that together. It's essentially two I-beams, of 2x4 caps and 1/4" plywood, 24 feet long, one each side. Then plywood top and bottom that isn't load bearing.

The beams are really strong, you can put 500lb mid-span and it deflects less than a quarter inch. The rocket dry weighs a lot less than that.

Stig itself was primarily designed by Russ, welded by James, and plumbed by James and Joseph. It's been interesting to see it put together. Phil is responsible for the recovery; we've dropped a 1/2 scale Stig off a plane five times now.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:05 am
By the way, the trailer/launch stand is named Poplar Mk. 3. Poplar is the english translation of тополь (Topol): https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Kh_Topol_M

There will be a trailer/stand that tilts the rocket up from horizontal, probably Poplar Mk. 5 by then. The guys want to tow it behind a pickup with the rocket just sitting uncovered, but I worry that will cause traffic accidents and/or a response by the FBI. At least the mods and quads are unidentifiable as rockets by the general public; the tube rocket line looks like the short range ballistic missile that they are.

I also forgot to mention that the crate is storage on the big trailer to get it to NM, then gets the wheel frame bolted on and is towed by a 4-wheeler as the rocket recovery vehicle.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 am
Quote:
The guys want to tow it behind a pickup with the rocket just sitting uncovered, but I worry that will cause traffic accidents and/or a response by the FBI.

Ben, I think Starchaser have been doing something similar to that in the UK.

I seriously do not know how there havent been accidents! From what I remember from seeing they have the rocket open and lying down, it then points up, they go around schools etc advertising their work. It is often seen on the motorways looking rather out of place by a McDonalds car park!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Ben, I think Starchaser have been doing something similar to that in the UK.

I seriously do not know how there havent been accidents!

I think the main reason is that they're in the UK and not US

Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 pm
johno wrote:
I'd like to see them jettison the chute and fire up the engine approx 100m from the ground and do a proper powered landing.

So would I, but that would be one heck of a balancing act!

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 pm
The tube rocket can hover just like a mod, it's actually easier to control in some respects because the CG is so far from the engine.

But it doesn't have landing gear. I'd love to put some hooks in the upper tank bulkhead and land it on a cable, but that's probably not going to happen.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:07 am
According to twitpic comment - launching in NM on 16th March...

Look forward to that one!

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 am
Check out a new engine firing vid on the AA youtube channel. That rocket's looking hot! Awesome! Can't wait to see it fly.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 am
Quote:
Armadillo Aerospace's Tube Rocket undergoes its first test firing, and the concrete pad is just bursting with excitement.

Ahahaha :D

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 am
Looks like we have a better indication of a flight

JC on Twitter:

"Looking good for >100,000’ flight at Spaceport America in the first week of April"

:D

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Details of latest Armadillo developments from Neil Milburn   Posted on: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm
Ben wrote:
Re Stig, it's really just Stig, named after the Top Gear character as I talked about in one of my updates.

You probably already know this, but Stig the driver is almost certainly named after a children's book character, a caveman mysteriously transported to the English countryside:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stig_of_the_Dump

I mention this because, as the Wikipedia article says,

"Stig is a common Scandinavian name, and means "path" in Swedish and Danish; the name could imply that a person is a pathfinder."

So, there you go - your Stig has a wholly appropriate name.