Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant

John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 111 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:58 pm
I guess the saddest part is that when Armadillo starts flying to oribt, which was always in their long term plan, they can't ever fly a telescope or Dan will claim that they have finally realized that he was right all along.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 pm
rsteinke wrote:
I guess the saddest part is that when Armadillo starts flying to oribt, which was always in their long term plan, they can't ever fly a telescope or Dan will claim that they have finally realized that he was right all along.

I hope the AA boys don't let some internet troll posting rubbish on their forum dictate how they make business decisions.

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:08 pm
rsteinke, that's the sad part? not that after say 15 years of finally getting around to doing the obvious, you would have them go out of their way and cripple their own efforts to avoid admitting I was right..

you know I'm right or you wouldn't start to think about ways to avoid admitting it. wake up

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm
rsteinke wrote:
You have not explained the "potency and ease" of your telescope idea. You have given no details at all.

He has attempted to give details, for instance he said that the satellite would use an omni directional antenna so that it wouldn't need to track the ground stations. Unfortunately for him this idea won't work for multiple reasons that I have explained elsewhere. It is clear that his understanding of radio technology is woefully short of the level required to reinvent this aspect of satellite communications. When he comes back to me with a workable design for a circularly polarised omni-directional antenna I'll concede one point to him about the flaws I pointed out in his design. If he can design any type of isotropic antenna I'll concede another point to him. If he can also invent a 90%+ efficient solar panel I'll concede that his antenna choice isn't a stupid waste of energy. Even if he overcomes these problems the command uplink to the satellite will still have to deal with the problems of picking up noise from every radio source as far as the horizon which is using his chosen frequency (which is also unspecified btw).

These antenna designs would cost him nothing but time, and could also contribute to his very important brain growing exercises. Owning the patents on these designs could also provide a source of capital to fund the transition of his amazing projects from daydreams into actual hardware. It's been a year since I explained these problems to him but he still hasn't come up with any answer beyond telling me that I'm mindless. He is great at coming up with excuses why he can't implement the projects that he dreamed up and they all seem to revolve around finances. There's no valid excuse for not inventing these new antenna designs apart from laziness.

I'm sorry to say that I might be partially responsible for the lack of details about the telescope. My criticisms of the radio comms aspect were through and harsh, but also based in experience and facts. He is probably afraid to divulge any more of his design details in case someone else rips equally large holes in them (which is highly likely imho). He needs to hold onto the dream that he will someday have a telescope named in his honour.

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:42 pm
johno is not the finest mind around and answering him is mostly foolish but on this single point, I hold it as self evident that if cell phones can do significant data at any orientation with no line of sight from omni to omni, that a space non directional antenna can have good connection to moderate sized tracking parabolic dishes on the ground.
a 20watt TV satellite transmits massive bandwidth to an entire continent that can be picked up with a 60cm dish from 36000km away.
obviously it is easily possible with low power requirements to get say a single MPEG4 HDTV channel's worth of bandwidth through from 250km up powered by solar panels. I think it's something like 6MBit/s.

the frequency would presumably be in the low GHz range, 1-20, where the atmosphere is clear but whatever is legal and available and whatever.

not that you ask these details out of actual intellectual objection or curiousity but merely to celebrate your obtuseness and no matter how detailed I elaborate you will always move the goal posts..
fantastically stupid but that is humanity as Einstein also bitterly experienced.

obviously I am right. obviously it can be done and by AA.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:03 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
obviously I am right.

Dan, of course you are right, we all know you have seen the light! (maybe a bit blinded by it though)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 pm
Ah, so we finally get another piece of the puzzle. The proposed altitude is 250km. Keep the slow drip feed of info coming please. It's highly entertaining, but I must remember not to sip my tea while reading it. I'm sure John Carmack is hitting F5 on his keyboard frantically waiting for your next post.

johno

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 am
Hi Dan,

As others have said you can do the design of may of the items that you talk about for very little cost i.e. you all ready have access to a computer and have shown some nice rendered pictures so finishing the design will only cost your time.

So I raise the bar for you. If you can compleat the design for the free ranger I will build one for you and help you market the resulting vehicle. All I ask is a 65% stake in the company and intellectual property.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 am
ceebmoj, you are dutch?
and how would you build it?

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 pm
I'm English.
I would build it in my work shop where I have built a number of cars to the design that you provide.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm
show me your workshop and the cars you've done. you can send me an email.
this forum is about AA and space.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:42 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
show me your workshop and the cars you've done. you can send me an email.
this forum is about AA and space.

No no no no no. Post it over here. I want to see this too (and Dan's reaction). This forum is about Dan.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am
Hi Dan,

Lets keep this public a bit like AAs development

I built this car.
http://www.turner-auto-design.com/
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/picture ... gn+Ltd_LMP

Swapping the gear box in an elise
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =891885541

Body off restoration of a Marcos Mantua

Arty pic of some stuff in the shop

There are loads more pictures of all sorts of stuff I have built or changed. I got in the work shop last night and I have cleared out sufficient space to get cracking on a free ranger im weighting for the first drawings and I will get on with the construction.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:19 am
Cool cars!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: John, another 6 months have passed and AA still not relevant   Posted on: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 am
interesting. the LMP looks good
I'm designing a bit on another model that's actually an LMP style (closed) 2 or 2+2 seater car. not an LMP but similar body shaping philosophy because good aerodynamics is not only for racing but very advantageous to an EV.
how did you shape the molds for the LMP? handshaping or do you have CNC?

do you have experience with vacuum forming transparent thermoplastic?
as needed for the canopy.

it's interesting that several companies do LMP racers yet don't do scientifically aerodynamically derived designs. Radical racers for instance don't seem to do it. I assume yours isn't either. it might be possible to halve or even quarter the drag.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next