Community > Forum > Official Micro-Space Forum > Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck

Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck

Posted by: tinyinkling - Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:29 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Hi all --

I am sad to announce that my Father, Richard P. Speck, passed away in his sleep sometime Saturday morning, October 16th. He had a full life and appreciated his participation in this community of thinkers and doers.

We know his websites are down. We are trying to get them cleaned up and back on-line, perhaps with an In Memory page.

As you may know, my father had a cube sat scheduled for launch on October 29th. We are trying to assess his progress and see what or whether we might be able to complete something.

I will post an update if we do get a launch.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream   Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am
I am very sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.

Regards

James

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Seize the Dream   Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:19 pm
My condolences too

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: Seize the Dream   Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 pm
My condolences. I hope Micro-Space and Richard his goals, dreams and vision will stay alive.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 pm
I am very sorry to hear about Richard's passing. His combination of zest for exploration, willingness to think out of the box, ability to see possibilities where others saw problems, and breadth and depth of technical knowledge, were unparallelled on these forums and quite likely far beyond. Where most of us here limit ourselves to reading about and discussing space, Richard actually went and developed his ideas into working machines, while sharing them with all of us in long posts full of technical detail. It made him part of this community, and he will certainly be missed.

My condolances to you, his other family and friends. May he rest in peace, or, as he may well have preferred, enjoy zooming around Heaven in a tiny, self-built spaceship. Farewell, Richard, and Godspeed.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 pm
My sincere condolences. Richard has to be considered one of the guiding lights of NewSpace development, and one of the few to truly develop novel and revolutionary technology. I always enjoyed reading his frequent and detailed descriptions of his projects. If there is any way I can assist in the successful completion of his cubesat project, please message me. I hope to see MicroSpace continue Richard's exploration and technology goals now that he's not there. In lieu of that ideal outcome, I hope you will elect to open-source his designs so the rest of our community can continue his legacy.

--Elliot

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am
Richard in the past few months had joined forces with Team Prometheus he was very excited that we had chosen Matagorda Peninsula for our launch site as he had also thought that it was the perfect place to make an orbital launch from and also owned some property there. I am shocked at this news I was wondering why I did not hear from him recently.
We had great plans and he had just filed an SBIR with us involved, his novel tracking and guidance system was to be a great feature to aid in our N-Prize attempt.
I have decided to name our launch facility on Matagorda after him and dedicate a monument there in his name.
His ideas where brilliant and I could tell right away he had been and was a true advocate of the New Space Frontier. He will be remembered by us for his great contribution.
This is the first I have heard of this and I really don't know what to do other than say if there is anything I or my team can do to help in any way please contact me. 512-944-5440 or monroe@teamprometheus.org all that we have is at your disposal.
We have lost a great contributor to our cause.

Godspeed Richard

Monroe Lee King jr.
Team Prometheus

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 am
Awesome

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Seize the Dream - In Memoriam: Richard P. Speck   Posted on: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 am
Thanks for posting the video Sigurd. Good to see a face behind the name. Shame it's in such sad circumstances.

James

Moderator: rpspeck