Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun

SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:48 am
 [ 80 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:32 pm
You can see some of the highlights of the launch, as seen on TV - here - http://www.youtube.com/user/pezevenghio.
I have some more TV capture files left that need a little postprocessing and uploading, but there's not much to see very different from the videos already uploaded.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 am
Was the rocket shown floating in the water fully fueled? It seemed to float very well, which struck me as odd since the density of H202 is about 1.4 g/ml and sea water is only 1.02 g/ml.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:17 am
Floating rocket: good observation. It must be empty or something. Huge balloon launch does not make sense anyway. It will be interesting to see if they can get it up at all.

For much less bother and expense the first stage can be made a little larger for surface launch. The extra propellant will be cheaper--at least if LOX were used.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 am
I did notice that too but did give them benefit of the doubt that they may fill it at the last min. that would make sense. But I still don't think it could lift it's self much less the rocket. Although filling a rocket with peroxide at sea does not sound like fun! :) Reminds me of the movie "Overboard" with Goldie Han and Kurt Russell "It's a fine day at sea" cried the bosunmate! hahahaha! Oh me. I sure would get busy filling out my Christmas list too! But it wouldn't be Porsche it would be like Falcon 1e ahhh might as well look at Dragon no Delta oh my such decisions---- Dreamin I like Dreamin cause dreaming can make you mine'''' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' oh gime a break-----

Monroe

It's starting to sound like "watch this" Dope,, oh shoot me I give up.
I'm calling the Navy tomorrow that's it. I want to borrow my old ship the USS Antietam CG54 yep and a tomahawk thats all I need the tomahawk and the paddle ball game and maybe this remote. Yeah the tomahawk the paddle ball game and the remote that's all I need and nothing else just that. :P loosing it yep im gone bye.

Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 am
Well, it looks like the first bit of the CGI video at least...

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:02 pm
Rescheduled for 2010: http://tinyurl.com/yh5v3tm

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:22 am
http://www.arcaspace.com/en/home.htm

Well, I guess all the naysayers can take a break now.

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm
No Video! No photos of launch? No parachute? Sounds to me like what we predicted would happen happened. Good Luck to them but sounds like the rocket plunged into the sea to me.

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 pm
Monroe wrote:
No Video! No photos of launch? No parachute? Sounds to me like what we predicted would happen happened. Good Luck to them but sounds like the rocket plunged into the sea to me.

Monroe

We have a front page article about it here http://spacefellowship.com/news/art2281 ... cket-.html and you can find some more picture here http://picasaweb.google.com/arcaorbital/Misiunea4b#

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 pm
OK, so the photos show us hard proof that they have successfully launched... a balloon!

Moon, here we come! ;)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:19 pm
lol. where was the camera? if they were able to capture pictures at 40,000 ft but not 120,000....

i agree, sounds like a rocket failure. i'm not sure i'd be convinced even if they released the telemetry log (well, unless it showed reasonable behavior like a failure). pics or gtfo!

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:29 am
Indeed, to quote the internet, "pics or it didn't happen". Saying it worked is meaningless, and all they've shown is a balloon launch and an unfortunately gullible military.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:49 am
the last time this happened didn't someone point out that a fueled rocket with H2O2 wouldn't float? does that still apply for this launch/is that how they got the balloon to carry it up?

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:43 pm
It's a rocket not a spaceship. How can one place a camera on a rocket and not expect it to burn? There was a camera in the probe capsule, but not on the rocket.
http://www.universetoday.com/74983/moon ... st-flight/

What do you want to see? Some dot on a screen while checking the radar?

Profile YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: SFS News: ARCA - Haas Orbital Rocket Launcher for Google Lun   Posted on: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 pm
REDrake,

We would all like to see the same data that ARCA saw, which allowed them to claim a 40 km altitude. ARCA has not shown any proof that they achieved that altitude.

It seems that this launch was a bit different than the animation that ARCA has been showning. In the animation, they show a 2-stage Helen 2 rocket. The news video shows that there was only a single stage. Did ARCA use the first stage or the second stage from the Helen 2 rocket for Mission 4b?

It appears that the video from the mission came from a payload box that was hanging directly under the balloon. One of the frames ARCA posted shows the green filler tube in the field of view. Was this the only camera? Why didn't ARCA have other cameras pointed at the rocket, or on the rocket or in the suborbital payload? NASA has used cameras on the SRBs, which produce amazing video from launch to splashdown.

ARCA's claims would be more believable if they provide more data to the world. Otherwise, it looks like they are hiding something.

Dave

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next