Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket

Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket

Posted by: Mr. Harper - Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:59 am
 [ 9 posts ] 
Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:59 am
Hey everyone!
So first off I'm new too the forum but I am not new to building rockets. So what I want to do is build a multiple-multistage, stratosphere capable rocket! What I mean by multiple-multistage, I mean it will be built in four sections, with each section containing three or more rocket motors, possibly decreasing in size. What will happen is after all the motors burn off in one stage, they will ignite the next stage, and the next stage in turn will push off the spent stage, and become lighter as it goes. I live at about 6,000 feet, and I think I could possibly hit the stratosphere which is my goal. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm
PICTURES!!!

So here are pictures of the 3D model, just a simple one that explains the stages.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:26 pm
So heres another picture looking down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 am
Make sure you get FAA clearance before sending it up.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 am
Yes! But I might have my school behind me. Even though I'm a media arts major, doesn't mean I'm stuck doing that outside of class. The new goal is too build it cost effectively... New target is 4,000 Feet AGL. Two launches in 24 Hours, and under $100, not including motors. It's going to be smaller, but it will be a step.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Why use a rocket? You could hit the stratosphere quite easily with a single stage airship, or even a rocket, and reuse the thing. It avoids the problems of having things dropping on peoples heads if you use a balloon, and you could possibly manrate it as well.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 pm
I'm using a rocket because it's a lot funner than an airship, but at one point I'll probably move to an airship.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm
What he said. Rockets have "been done" already, to use the phrase. If you really want to do something, develop a new technique or method that brings an improvement to launch capability.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Multistage Stratosphere Capable Rocket   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:53 am
I don't know. Maybe. I'll talk to the Engineering teacher at school. I started as an engineering major, but then slipped into broadcasting. So I know him. I also acquired the computer lab, the whole lab, one day a week, for my club, which will build this thing.

Profile WWW