Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time

Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm
 [ 121 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Fri May 21, 2010 12:59 pm
JamesHughes, no. observe that you experience. feel it. see it.
you close your mind's eye and see only the physical. look at yourself, pinch yourself and see the pain.
were you are mere chemical machine you would not experience your own existence as you do but merely go about your business with nobody home.
come to life and see

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm
on a previous topic in this thread.....

http://jalopnik.com/5543553/iihs-small- ... in-crashes

you know... because its related to actual topics that you'd expect in an AEROSPACE forum.

(and yes I do see alot of overlap in Aerospace and Automotive engineering)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Sat May 22, 2010 5:30 pm
"dummies in the low-speed vehicles experienced serious or fatal injuries while the drivers of the regular vehicles could have walked away."
Yes, that what they call those who drive in those cars. Dummies. :lol:

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Mon May 24, 2010 8:45 am
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
you close your mind's eye and see only the physical. look at yourself, pinch yourself and see the pain.
were you are mere chemical machine you would not experience your own existence as you do but merely go about your business with nobody home.
come to life and see

Quote - "Drooling Baby". I rest my case. Because it's heavy.

Btw, could you bring you intellect to bear and capitalise your sentences correctly. Thanks.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Mon May 24, 2010 4:10 pm
Quote:
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
come to life and see

I think therefore I am. Or something like that.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm
Supershuki, yes that's how Descartes put it. ultimately meaningless sentence that boils down to 'I am' but he saw the truth of it even if he couldn't word it better.
now with the screaming robot example you can actually understand, easily.

an evolutionist will say (thoughtlessly) that pain and fear are evolutionary traits to keep us out of danger which sounds good if you don't think about it. but obviously a robot can run away from danger without feeling fear. and retract its hand without feeling pain.
it is that obvious.
these spiritual qualities can obviously not be done in the physical nor are they needed thus constitutes proof that we are extramechanistic.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 pm
JamesHughes wrote:
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
come to life and see

Btw, could you bring you intellect to bear and capitalise your sentences correctly. Thanks.

I don't understand why people on this forum are taking Dan so seriously.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 am
SuperShuki wrote:
JamesHughes wrote:
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
come to life and see

I don't understand why people on this forum are taking Dan so seriously.

Er, what make you think we are? I detect a healthy dose of sarcasm in most of the posts!!

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am
Ok, I'm going to break the promise that I made to myself that I wouldn't bother talking to Dan again.

Dan, what type of car are you driving at the moment? If you are not driving a car at the moment, what was the last type of car you drove? My guess is that you don't drive at all, and never have. If I'm incorrect, please enlighten me about your experience level of handling cars.

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 am
Johno, I don't have a car, never have owned one but I have a license and have driven several cars and I am an excellent driver. wapner is on in ten minutes.
moreover I have a fairly solid grasp of the physics and what matters to driving dynamics.

I am curious as to what hasty ill conceived point you are itching to make?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 1:33 pm
Well, right off, I can make one critical point based on this one comment :
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
moreover I have a fairly solid grasp of the physics and what matters to driving dynamics
Having a knowledge of something doesn't mean you can apply it worth a squat. Especially if you are not a daily driver. driving is one of those areas where practical experience means a hell of a lot. It is very much about "feel" as it is about the actual mechanics.
Ergo, if you know next to nothing about the feel of a car's driving mechanics, ergonomics, stability and handling, how are you qualified to design a car meant for daily drivers? especially when you are not one yourself?

Dan Frederiksen wrote:
wapner is on in ten minutes.
Are you baiting us? you sly devil you.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 pm
I used to think I had a fairly solid grasp of motorcar dynamics from 20 years of driving, and a decent knowledge of physics, until I started racing cars. That was a real eye opener. Cars are a enormously complex device with regards to dynamics. Suspension geometry is only the start (and that is complicated enough), add on chassis torsion, tyre deformation, aerodynamics, the fact you need to go round corners and absorb bumps, and the complexities multiply 100fold. Getting all these right is why F1 teams spend 100millions per year to make car go fast around a track. You cannot rely on knowledge of physics alone, as many have found out, myself included. The whole system is so complex that even now, computer models still need to be proved and improved by actual on track data.

There are a number of good book on suspension geometry as well as some interesting software packages for the same. Even a quick glance through show how complicated the subject actually is, even though, from the outside, it just looks like a way of attaching wheels to a bodyshell.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm
James, I don't have to be more knowledgeable than the best formula 1 engineer ever in order to design a vehicle with decent suspension for road use.

normal car suspension is just a mcpherson strut and let's not pretend that is the holy grail of suspension. it's just a spring and an absorber that works through wasting energy by fluid compression. it is very far from the ideal suspension for a vehicle. but it is adequate for now.

johno didn't post a message because I erred. he posted one because he erred.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
johno didn't post a message because I erred. he posted one because he erred.

Come on Dan. Regardless of who erred, that is a just little bit petty. While I personally think most of your ideas are crackers, I would like to see them discussed with integrity, like the effort that Lourens put forth.

Get people to consider your ideas with sound logic and worked examples not arguments and certainly not the empty tripe quoted above. That just puts backs up.

Aside from that, thanks for keeping the forum interesting. I don't consider you a troll. I think you are an honest contributor albeit one who happens to be crazy and lazy. Yeah I know not the most helpful comment, but meant in a backslapping kind of joviality that makes light of a fairly serious situation.

Peace

~Daniel

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Do we live forever that we can afford to waste time   Posted on: Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 pm
DanielW, no it's not petty. because I'm right and all you do is mindlessly attack me an celebrate your mistakes. so what can I do. pretend you are reasonable people and endlessly throw pearls for swine and take your mindless abuse? you tell me what I can do to make you look to yourselves for the mistakes. the problem is you, not me. I have again and again very eloquently made my case and I am right. and opposing me is one mindless attack after another with brief interludes of limited reason and then sharp reversion to mindless attack and opposition despite any amount of truth.

You are the petty minds who want to be allowed to make any amount of mistakes and vicious attacks and are angered by being held accountable.
You can pretend I'm wrong, you can pretend what I say is ridiculous, you can all agree whole heartedly, an admin can ban me for all eternity but I will still be right and you wrong. You cannot oppose the truth and win.
But in your mindlessness you don't want that to be true. It's a spiritual quality. called the sin of pride. it's where you deny the truth out of fear of losing face. it's a mindless state since a mindful person would let reason rule and know that denying the truth doesn't make it any less true and will only compound error.
if you could stop attacking me and start thinking about what I say it would be a big start. think. hesitate

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next