Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Space elevator vehicle

Space elevator vehicle

Posted by: inventor - Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Space elevator vehicle 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 pm
The space elevator would be exceptionally useful if we can get it to work. It’s very difficult to make functional when some kind of cable extending from the ground to space is required.

Why not remove the cable from the design and make the space elevator a vehicle that works like an elevator rather than an actual elevator.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am
I think that would be a rocket.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm
There's always been one big thing that has bugged me about space elevators.....
ok so we are actualy thinking of sticking a mass, on the end of a tether, extending from a rotating body...
wouldn't this cause issues with earth's rotation? especially its wobble?
granted the mass of the object at the end may not be great, but when you sticking that mass out to geosync, lol i dunno.... it just seems like something very obvious is being missed.

as for the tether length/strength... that, i think would be the elast of the issues in building a space elevator.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm
MFL wrote:
There's always been one big thing that has bugged me about space elevators.....
ok so we are actualy thinking of sticking a mass, on the end of a tether, extending from a rotating body...
wouldn't this cause issues with earth's rotation? especially its wobble?
granted the mass of the object at the end may not be great, but when you sticking that mass out to geosync, lol i dunno.... it just seems like something very obvious is being missed.

as for the tether length/strength... that, i think would be the elast of the issues in building a space elevator.

You are right that there will be an effect on the Earths rotation, and it will wobble a little. The moon already has an effect on this rotation and it is millions of times greater than the effect that the space elevator will have. The effect will be the same as a satellite with the same mass as the space elevator which is in a geosynchronous orbit. I'm not sure what the masses of the proposed elevator designs are but I seem to remember numbers along the lines of a few thousand tons. That's not really all that much, especially if you consider the amount of mass that gets moved around from mining operations, building hydro-dams, draining swamps and building cities. Apparently the earthquake in Chile last week shortened the length of our day by 1.26 microseconds. If it makes you feel better, building 2 elevators on opposite sides of the planet should help to counteract the wobble, although it will slow down the rotation of the Earth slightly.

johno

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm
lol, i wouldn't say i'm all that worried about it, though building a space elevator just seems like overcomplicating things i guess

I did hear about the effect of the Chile quake... lol that's something else, isnt it.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 am
The space elevator vehicle is one of a new kind of vehicle named “motion vehicles”. These are some examples of motion vehicles, airborne road car, airborne car, wingless high-speed plane (capable of entering space), space car, airborne bike, military submersible airborne land craft and levitating egg.

Motion vehicles are vehicles that will levitate, ascend and descend vertically, do not use wings or runways, make virtually no engine noise, is multi-travel capable and uses the motion induction engine. These characteristics would make these vehicles a new kind of vehicles, convenient, useful and easy to use.

The closest existing commonly used vehicle similar to a motion vehicle is the helicopter.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space elevator vehicle   Posted on: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 pm
inventor wrote:
The closest existing commonly used vehicle similar to a motion vehicle is the helicopter.

except a helicopter has wings, uses a runway makes, high amount of engine noise, do not travel fast.....

sorry... the snark is heavy this morning

that and I think that a space elevator system, would more than likely use a microwave power transfer system coupled with an engine system similar to VASIMR, and then for only part of the way.