Community > Forum > Official Micro-Space Forum > Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children

Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children

Posted by: rpspeck - Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm
I have occasionally mentioned my qualifications as a “Jesus Freak”. I want to expand on that. It is part of my “Vocation” to do so. Not to convince others to believe as I do, but to testify to what I have experienced after choosing to follow Jesus and discovering that He had no intention of ending my efforts with applied physics and other technologies, but wanted to encourage and expand them!

It was as if He had designed me with these talents and wanted to help me use them more effectively. This surprised me, as the testimony of so many ministers emphasized how “God had called them ‘Out of the World’”. It took me a number of years to realize that if the Lord really wanted his Kingdom to be manifested on Earth - “Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.” – a lot of very practical work would be done by His committed followers.

This was a very welcome understanding, for while I really wanted Jesus, my passion to understand technology and be able to apply it to solve practical problems was not (and has not) diminished. Some other old desires were fading away, but not this one. Soon, in fact, I found that the Lord was challenging me to “Aim Higher”, and articulate dreams which were far beyond my practical resources! Along with this came the understanding that I would probably not be the “Star” in these efforts, but would have a role. At the same time, I was soon led to resources that enabled early accomplishments far beyond what I had expected. Favor created opportunities and smoothed the way for these efforts, but other surprises had also to be faced.

My goal in this Forum Thread is to outline my experience so that other “Techno-Nerds”, who have chosen to follow the Lord as I have, can avoid some of my mistakes and better translate Christian teachings into relevant guidelines for their vocational work. I will offer only a few theological insights, since other teachers have done a far more comprehensive job that I will.

We, as a group, follow in the footsteps of “Nehemiah”, as detailed in the Old Testament book by that name in the Bible. This individual was invited by God “To Dream”, and envision the restoration of the broken walls of Jerusalem for the benefit of the Jews who remained in that shattered city. Yet he had ZERO resources for this effort and did not own his own life! The Lord gave him understanding of the work, materials and manpower that would be necessary. He received favor to requisition the materials, and time to lead the work. He was given the ability to inspire help from those who would benefit, effectively counter opposition, and lead this monumental project (with roughly 2 miles of city walls involved) to completion in an astonishing 52 days!

The Lord can similarly empower us – those called to build and serve our communities with technologies – to envision projects far beyond our resources, and see them completed! In my case, those visions and dreams include seeing private space adventurer’s returning with samples from Mars, as well as new parts of the Moon.

I welcome those who share my viewpoint, but I also welcome those who do not. I will discuss some of the experiences that have led me to take Biblical Christianity very seriously, and to make room for this viewpoint beside the very practical scientific training I have accumulated. For those who imagine coexistence of these teachings to be impossible, let me mention that the “Big Bang” violated all known principles of Physics. Efforts exist to find a way around this singularity, but are supported by no experimental evidence! If this Universe began with a monumental miracle, then it is pure presumption to imagine that its instigator is incapable of subsequent miracles!

Some may imagine that both my accomplishments, and Nehemiah’s, reflect “The Power of Positive Thinking”, rather than divine favor. To an extent, that power exists, but I found out years ago that my perennial doubts did not allow me to sustain that focus and my results were meager. Thus I invited “The Helper” into my life. Each of us is free to seek help where we will, when and if we want it.

Others may consider my accomplishments too modest to need any explanation. To an extent that is also true. But if I have accomplished anything of value in this field, it is useful to make my motivations clear to those who might be able to use the results.

I believe that few will become rich from efforts in the “Final Frontier”, and that I am in any case unlikely to be one of them. That is a historic reality of frontiers. My Lord has found a variety of ways to meet my needs. He also reawakened my passion for spaceflight, which dates from before Sputnik 1, energized that passion for the last 19 years and enabled far greater accomplishments than I had at first expected. I have no doubt that He intends mankind to utilize the resources He created “off this planet” as well as those on it, and intends me to help make that happen. “As you go, preach (my) message … Heal the sick, …” (Matt 10:7-8 NIV) These things I endeavor to do.

I am willing to assist anyone who shares my passion – to walk on the Moon or Mars, or help others to do these things – and is involved in practical steps toward these goals.

Richard P. Speck, Micro-Space, Inc. 12/7/2009

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:11 pm
"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth." [Colossians 3:2 NASB]
Next Giant Leap (of Faith)... My experience says to take it.
Best!
MikeJ

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:17 pm
Thank you for the feedback and encouragement!

“In this sign, Conquer Space!”

As with bible scholar Sir Isaac Newton's “conquest” of orbital dynamics and gravitational theory, this does not imply ownership or exclusivity: Pioneers Blaze Trails using whatever resources are available to them, and open the way for all who chose to follow.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:58 pm
This should be interesting. As for me, I feel called to create. Some call the bioengineering I want to do 'playing God', to which I counter that, not only am I made in the image of God, He's also given humanity dominion over the beasts and plants of Terra. Besides, I don't believe in altering Hnau who can't consent, unless it is to merely make it possible for them to say whether they consent or not.

I think it's very unlikely that God-fearers will misuse technology, so I feel a lot more secure when they have technology that can cause Gigadeath events, like bioengineering, or the ability to control asteroids.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:45 pm
Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Life!

It is now the second day of Christmas. A few years ago I realized that Christians who complain about the “Commercialization” of the Holiday are missing some interesting points.

It takes only a modest understanding of languages to recognize that San(ta) Claus = San (Ni)cholas, thus Santa Claus is also the one known as Saint Nicholas and Sinterklaas, and identified with Nicholas, Bishop of Myra (Demre, in Lycia, part of modern-day Turkey) who participated in the Council of Nicaea, 325 AD. Bishop Nicholas had a well earned reputation for anonymous generosity, probably directed and enhanced by miraculous events. (Note that such miraculous enhancements are also well documented in our world, today.)

The bishop's anonymous generosity mirrored the far greater generosity of the Christ he followed!

John 3:16 “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that all who believed in Him would not perish but have eternal life.”

John 10:9-10 (Jesus said) “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved. ... I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly.”

Jesus spent his years on Earth ministering to the “Felt Needs” of people (Mark 10:51 “What do you want me to do for you?”...)

Jesus modeled giving gifts to fill the healthy desires of those we love.

That is the message I hear in our “Commercial” stores at Christmas and fits well with the carols playing in the background – the only time that many hear these messages.

God Bless You All!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 pm
ACTS 29:

The fifth book of the Christian “New Testament” is often called ACTS. In the “King James” translation it is called “The Acts of the Apostles”. It is sometimes insightfully called “The Acts of the Holy Spirit”, since its stories are dominated by the activities of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Christ's followers after the departure of Jesus, forty days after His Crucifixion. The Book of ACTS has only 28 chapters and does not record events after 64 AD. Subsequent events - “The Rest of the Story” - in the lives of His multiplying followers, would reasonably belong in chapter 29 ...

There is an old “Visual Metaphor”: a “Light Bulb” turning on over the head of one receiving a new idea. About 25 years ago, I found out who energizes the “Light Bulb” which periodically illuminates my thoughts and brings me fresh and often novel ideas. I found that God and His Holy Spirit were the source of my good ideas and thus the “illuminator”. I found that by recognizing Him and His promises, and praying directly to Him, I would receive more abundant ideas, answers and solutions. This is not an unmixed blessing, for the world is not hungry for new ideas, and likes to beat down those who push them. Given that the ideas often exceed the grasp and resources of those who receive them, a lot of work – and study – are usually required to master and apply the ideas and even more effort is necessary to financially profit from them. These can be frustrating activities! But some of us seem designed to prefer struggling with these challenges rather than other options which life offers.

I am a radical, Charismatic Christian. This means that, like the millions of other Charismatic Christians, I receive communications from God in some form. “I hear God's voice.” In its most basic form this is “speaking in tongues” (Acts: 2:4). This peculiar phenomenon may in itself be no more impressive than the gibberish that spews from a Public Address system when it is being set up, or similar noises used to tune a radio link. But, like both those, the transition to important information can be abrupt and without warning! One who wants to optimize any communications channel is well advised to tune in even the stuff you don't understand, or don't care about, as well as possible, so that the important messages that follow will be received clearly.

Since the Lord Jesus Christ promised that His followers would hear His Voice and that all who wished would be enabled to hear from God's Holy Spirit, this is a widespread ability. It is a form of “Mental Telepathy”, but the gift is the ability to receive and that only covers what is being sent. It as as if one had received a Cell Phone for Christmas. Owning such a tool will not automatically generate a flood of warm greeting from people you have never met (unless they are Telemarketers!) or allow you to tap into the thoughts of an investment genius! You can't tap into another persons thoughts (unless they are relayed, in edited form, by God) and you can't tap into God's thoughts without His cooperation. Since misunderstanding is always possible, it is important the evaluate (test) whatever you think you, or others have received. You can expect to receive warm greetings – in some form – from God himself, since He is delighted with any human being who seeks Him and wants to listen to His voice. But you can't even expect to have all your questions answered!

I have noticed that teachers won't answer my questions when they are giving me a test and that “20 Questions” would not be much fun if we were allowed to ask directly for the answer! Maybe God actually knows what is best for us? In any case, I have received clear direction and valuable insights many times. I have received solutions to technical problems that don't make much sense, but work beautifully! And I continue to get pictures of a grandiose, but quite reachable future in space, for those with the audacity to pursue that dream. There is room for many more – working in partnership with God and Jesus Christ – or just following the road He is leading us on. It is a hard road, such as pioneers often face, and not for everyone. For those who chose this road -- WELCOME!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02 pm
My previous post is a little too academic to be completely honest. It is good to “think soberly” and not always get carried away by emotion when introducing a topic, but humans are emotional creatures.

Abraham, in biblical accounts, was called “a friend of God”. That phrase historically carried even more significance than it does now, when “friendships” are often shallow and fleeting. “Religion” places a worshiped entity on a pedestal and often cranks that pedestal higher and higher until it is hypothetically out of reach for all but a select few. This happened with the descendants of Abraham who, rather than enjoying a similar friendship with God, pushed the pedestal so high that they wrote of G-d, to avoid the possibility of misusing his name, and usually spoke of him as “The Name” rather than risk using any one of His actual titles!

Jesus, in one of his numerous scandalous teachings, reversed this situation. Matthew 6:9, “This then, is how you should pray: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven ...” It is easy for us to push even these words up on a pedestal. A more relevant translation, reflecting what Jesus' hearers would have understood begins:

“Daddy, you're so special! ...”

Jesus' words would have begun with “Abba”, an intimate form of address to a beloved father. In a related event (Luke 11:2) this instruction follows the request of Jesus' disciples “Teach us to pray ...”. They knew that prayer was an important part of this miracle worker's life, and the reasonably expected to eventually achieve similar abilities. They were recruited in the traditional Rabbinic manner, and this normally involved discipleship which would prepare them to walk in similar roles. This is exactly what did happen. This astonishing prayer answered their request because it models intimacy with God (the Creator) and that is exactly what is necessary to walk in miracles!

A lovely song (by Martin Smith) runs: “Oh what a friend I have, He's closer than a brother. I have felt His touch, more intimate than lover's. Jesus --- Jesus --- Jesus --, friend forever!”

When I make a special effort to obey God's nudge in my mind I am often rewarded with what I consider God's “Thank You”/Hug + Kiss. It is a euphoric peace which, while it lacks the negative compulsion of addiction, is certainly habit forming and desirable! It falls short of a compulsive addiction in part because it is easy to slide back into that state – feeling surrounded by God's love – when remembering those events months and even years later. This is particularly easy during a quiet walk in the sunshine (Sonshine?) or praying at daybreak. It is possible to slide into that state even when pushing on with a tiring and dirty job.

I would give up all this technology, and a great deal more, if that were necessary to sustain the ability to connect intimately with God. But after resting in His presence in this way for the better part of an hour, I often find technical insights sliding into my mind: Ways to improve the Oxygen recycling cell in my Mars Expedition life support system; other ways to analyze the camera data in our Lunar Navigator for use it in other environments; ways to extend the range and accuracy of our magnetic system to assemble and stabilize orbital formations of satellites.

God wants me to pursue intimacy with Him, join in miraculous ministry when appropriate, and push affordable spaceflight technologies. And that combination is fine with me!

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:32 pm
rpspeck, what do you tink about the Forerunner calling in Genesis, in which God basically gives humanity stewardship over creation?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:51 pm
As I understand it, the Creator DID give Mankind dominion over at least this planet. We blame God for things that happen when in fact We allow these events in territory under Our Authority! “We Allow” is meant collectively, although there is an asymmetry. Those who act and speak words in tune with the Creator's desires are backed up by greater authority than those who oppose those desires. As a result a handful or two of individuals who are in tune with the Creator can have more power than a great number who are opposed. But widespread evil can easily dominate apathetic saints!

Keep in mind that the Creator's revealed word makes it clear that He loves every human being and that every one has equal access to Him. (Since I have received His personal communication {and find no conflict with Biblical Revelation} I have no trouble believing that far more conscientious individuals have recorded His previous communications quite accurately!) We have different gifts and different callings, but are each, individually treasured by our creator!

Back to “Our Authority”: Prayer is important because in this spoken act we give God authority to act using Our Authority on this planet! In particular, we can voluntarily give Him authority to intrude into our lives to Bless Us (and straighten us out when necessary). Otherwise, we have the “right” and ability to live our entire lives on Earth without being aware of Him. Our words are more powerful when they address something God already wants to do, but they have power in any case. They are not “Magic”, causing anything we say to automatically happen, they have less power when they involve others instead of just ourselves and the complete picture is complex and often puzzling.

The words: “Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done, On Earth as it is in Heaven!”, included in a prayer, officially hands dominion back to God (as far as our personal authority extends – which is farther then we think it does). This leaves us in the position of Ambassadors, representing God on this Planet, and having greater power and authority than we did by ourselves.

These arrangements have produced a messy history on this planet, but it is hard to envision a better initial arrangement for creatures given “Free Will” and needing time to experiment with it (with the option of choosing a better run environment for the next phase.)

Keep in mind that I don't claim complete understanding of “Theology”. I have a personal relationship with the Creator, but as one very young, I have limited understanding of Him and His Revealed Word.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Faith Walk -- Nehemiah's Children   Posted on: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:56 pm
Richard (and N),

Every time I have read about you in Pop Sci recently I remember our fellowship together at Acension. It's great to know that you don't have to give your mind to follow Christ. Keep up the great work.

Blessings,

Dan Stricker

Moderator: rpspeck