Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?

Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?

Posted by: Terraformer - Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:09 pm
 [ 24 posts ] 
Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:54 am
How do you think tourism should be made more environmentally friendly? Tourism has increasingly become discussed as a cultural and environmental phenomenon, and more often than not as destructive. What measures do you think should be taken?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 pm
Guy's
If we can get our Near space platform working and prove my corona ion engine works we could do this. A 6 person gondola would be about right. The hang time would be longer and near space is nearly as good as actual outer space for tourism.
If we use hydrogen gas the envelope could be ignited after it drops back to lower altitudes and there wouldn't be anything left to hit the ground.
The gondola would fly back to the space port like SS1 and we could drop near space divers and crazy people like that as well. Near space tourism is much safer for the same reasons.
Now if we could just sell some tickets we might make enough money to get it done?

Monroe

I hope JP makes some progress along these lines if we don't, somebody needs to get this ball rolling it is way cheaper than rocket rides and it has better staying power.

Who wants a ticket? What would you pay for a near space experience?

A space port at our Matagorda site would be over the Gulf of Mexico and would be less of a danger to land lubers.

I have a plan and it starts with the N-Prize attempt it does not end there the ball is rolling. Join Team Prometheus and be a part of it!

The near space spacesuits would be more comfortable too!

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:10 pm
I have a plan too. It's just I can't get the lifting gas or envelope material.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:16 pm
Teraformer
Sodium Hydroxide solution (Lye) + Scrap Alum. = Hydrogen Gas
Thin plastic sheet (.3mil) = Envelope
Only requirements:
Desire & Patients!

Be safe.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 pm
How much do they cost?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:13 pm
Teraformer
Well the saying is no bucks no Buck Rodgers :) But make friends with a auto machine shop for free pistons (Alum.) and buy your lye at the supermarket.
The plastic is harder to find unless you live near a plastics plant (Like Formosa like I do) But a good scrounger with some determination could find some. If your in the states I could sell you some. You can sew it up with this little clamp sealer (for sandwich bags) that can make a continuous seam. Put the gore lines between the seams and use monofiliment fishing line. Get a gore pattern from a hot air balloon or ask me to send you one.

You could start off with Dry Cleaning bags (for clothes) and an Iron if you really wanted to get started with a small one. Experiment! Get creative! Get busy! Be safe!

Make friends and get them to help you. Today's the Day!

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:46 pm
Hmmm. What I want is the ability to make egg shaped enveloped big enough to test stability issues, and get some real flight data from a model.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:41 pm
Geez, I didn't even see this damn thread before :oops:

Oh well, I guess great minds think alike, eh? :lol:

Anyway, I don't see anyone addressing the business issues - those are what predominate in any commercial venture. What are the best markets and revenue streams?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Nearspace tourism - a tool for building up support?   Posted on: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 pm
Terraformer wrote:
Hmmm. What I want is the ability to make egg shaped enveloped big enough to test stability issues, and get some real flight data from a model.

Think of the c60 buckyball and how it is constructed there are also c70 ones that are more egg shaped which can be extended into bucky tubes if you really want aerodynamic turn the hexagons or pentagons at the ends depending upon orientation into pyramids .

To construct one of these what you could do is get a length of copper pipe with smoothed edges wrap plastic sheeting around it and glue the seams and one end together pull it of and inflate with preferred gas(only part inflate if you want to test at height) glue other end. make lots of these of same length hollow inflated pipes in production line style when you have enough glue sets of 6 in the hexagons and sets of 5 into pentagons glue these carefully onto flat sheets of plastic Monroe above has suggested some sources then glue the hexagons and pentagons into the shape you want and you could then fill it with H2 using the method Monroe has suggested or if you don't think you could make the structure fully air tight tie ordinary weather balloons inside the structure to hold it up. as it goes higher it will become more rigid due to the pressure difference.

The hexagonal construction could be used for points to hold payload and engines as if you cross braced them it would become strong triangles.

If you wanted to go the whole hog and build one powered by an ion drive.

Make one buckytube shaped hang the ion drive from 2 hexagons at the bottom make the bottom half out of reflective mylar the top half from clear plastic and hang a line of solar cells down the middle of the tube where they would collect the most light for powering your ion drive.

I hear-bye open-source the above idea but if any of you gets rich building them i like single malts old enough to vote and it would be nice to sup one with a blue marble view one day. :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW