Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years

NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:50 am
 [ 11 posts ] 
NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:50 am
A paper by unknown NASA sources describes a proposed 30 year exploration strategy with Mars as the end goal but relying on commercial transport for access to LEO for both cargo and crew.

The six-page proposal (available below) envisions a 30-year plan for exploration. Access to low-Earth orbit, including the International Space Station, would be left to commercial rocket companies so NASA could focus on the “higher-risk development” of spacecraft “needed for the path to Mars.”

NASA embraces the following key Augustine findings/recommendations:

• The current plan with both the earliest International Space Station (ISS) Initial Operational Capability (IOC) and lunar return by 2020 are not achievable within the FY10 budget.

• Recognize Mars as the ultimate destination yet have systems and capabilities flexible enough to reach any compelling destination

• Build a robust technology program

• Increase the role of commercial participation

• Involve international partners to the maximum degree

• Extend ISS to 2020 and fully utilize it

• Fly out the remaining shuttle manifest

• Fixed base and operational costs should be reduced to improve NASA’s ability to carry out its mission

Download The Proposal Here

Interesting!

Profile WWW
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:02 pm
They need a plan to spend 30 years exploring Mars...

Profile ICQ YIM
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:27 am
I agree. Unless I missed something, the proposal doesn't really sound like there is much of plan for Mars. Obviously it has to start with money...

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am
If NASA get there in 30years, they will land to find SpaceX, AA and Masten already there......(and probably living in a Bigelow inflatable module)

:D

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:47 am
Hey - new concept! "Watch NASAs first Landing on Mars!"

I'll be on the porch of my vacation home waving at them when they arrive!

Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:22 pm
I'm not sure I have 30 years left! I want to be there in 10! Maybe 15 and bring back a sample. I'm no astronaut! Brian Wilcox had a plan. He works for NASA and that was years ago.

Today's the day not tomorrow!

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:41 am
I think NASA is a dead horse. Flogging it will not help. Hopes for some kind of revival are forlorn.

It's time to move on. To realize that World War 2 and the Cold war were anomalies which disrupted what Goddard was doing.

Pick up where he left off (taking advantage of what taxpayer funded technology there is) and do it without NASA.

That will mean deferring dreams of immediate manned flights, Moon, Mars etc. Build a technical proficient culture that can grow into doing unmanned missions, then much later start with manned.

Sort of how the microcomputer got started in the mid '70's...

Charles Pooley
Microalunchers

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:59 am
Maybe it will be a two stage adventure. Perhaps they can use some of the ice they found on the Moon and use the hydrogen in the water as fuel. Just a thought.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 pm
ckpooley wrote:
I think NASA is a dead horse. Flogging it will not help. Hopes for some kind of revival are forlorn.

We hear lots of people saying this, but what's the alternative? It's not like they'll kill NASA and spread the money around in other (private) space related businesses. NASA does important research and is also an enabler for the rest.

The way I see it, taking NASA away, would be like trying to kill of the rest of the business.

Profile ICQ
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm
With Nasa operating at less than 0.5% of the Federal budget, they already have taken it away. Even the Augustine commission agrees on that. They simply don't have enough money to do all the things they are expected to do.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: NASA aims for a Mars landing in 30 years   Posted on: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:47 pm
True, they could do a lot more with more money, but I doubt they'll get much in the coming years. The question is more about what the people that keep bashing NASA think the alternative is.

Profile ICQ