Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > When wouldn't you terraform?

When wouldn't you terraform?

Posted by: SuperShuki - Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:35 am
 [ 41 posts ] 

Under what conditions would you be against terraforming a planet?
Even if life is found, I would terraform. 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
I would be against terraforming only if life is found. 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
I would be against terraforming if the conditions for life are found. 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
I am against terraforming in any event. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 am
In addition, I read a book (I think it was Red Mars) in which there was a movement by colonists of Mars to forbid terraforming, even though there was no life on mars at all. Does anybody on the forum share this view, and why?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am
SuperShuki wrote:

What if we reproduced the enviroment in a different place, and relocated the organism, so that scientists could study it and humans could live in the previous environment?

Such as an identical planet with the exact same composition and environment? Just the action of transplanting and studying them will have inevitable effects (ala the Hawthorne effect). Why don't WE go there instead?

By the time this becomes an issue (when we have FTL or the like) hopefully "goldielocks planets" will be common enough that we can pass up the ones that already have life on them, or if not, hopefully we'll be wiser and not commit the sins of our ancestors.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 am
JamesG wrote:
SuperShuki wrote:

What if we reproduced the enviroment in a different place, and relocated the organism, so that scientists could study it and humans could live in the previous environment?

Such as an identical planet with the exact same composition and environment? Just the action of transplanting and studying them will have inevitable effects (ala the Hawthorne effect). Why don't WE go there instead?

By the time this becomes an issue (when we have FTL or the like) hopefully "goldielocks planets" will be common enough that we can pass up the ones that already have life on them, or if not, hopefully we'll be wiser and not commit the sins of our ancestors.

No, not a planet, a laboratory. What if life was found on Europa, or some other moon, covered by ice? Also, considering that it is a long haul to any exoplanet, when we get there, we may not have much of a choice - we'll have to take what we can get. Unless we can go faster than light.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 am
"Do unto others..."

Would like it if humanity were reduced to a small sample living in a lab or zoo?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 pm
JamesG wrote:
"Do unto others..."

Would like it if humanity were reduced to a small sample living in a lab or zoo?

"And your sight will be on all the life on the land . . .I gave all of it to you" (God to Noah, Genesis 9:2-4)
If you're going to quote the bible, don't mistranslate a verse, take it out of context, and then quote three words without saying where it came from.
Just as I don't give a hoot how many bacteria I slaughter every time I blow my nose or scratch my ear, so I don't care about the feelings of alien bacteria.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 pm
Well?
Chicken before egg? Would you clone or not clone? :) The universe is my oyster! If I could just get off this planet! Could we figure that out first? hummmm. Hey If I get there first are you going to be there to stop me? Really are you? How many lifeforms is that car your driving going to make extinct? How many endangered species will die off? If we don't get better at getting there we will die off and you can take that to the bank.

Monroe

Is voyager going to be our legacy?
This entire solar system is endangered we have about 4.5 billion years left at the most. Worst case we get hit by an astroid before I finish this post.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 pm
Monroe wrote:
Well?
This entire solar system is endangered we have about 4.5 billion years left at the most. Worst case we get hit by an astroid before I finish this post.

4.5 BILLION years. It's alot. I'm not worried-If technology continues to progress at the rate as it has for the last few years, we should be able to keep the sun from going nova in a few Billion years.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm
hahahhahaha yep!
Just ranting, thanks for allowing me. You guys will figure it out in time. I'd just rather be having this conversation in a board room on Mars or Venus or epsilon. Then it would make more sense to me. I'm just an old guy :)

Monroe

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 am
terraforming produces a lot of questions. I f there is life it may do well in the terraformed environment. Maybe too well for our liking. Asteroids or small moons that can be rotated to produce artificial gravity offer another option. As does adapting to existing environments eg. Balloon based colonies orbiting in the upper atmosphere of venus, though this example may have a terraforming application over the long term. There are many options though our main problem is getting our butts off our own little rock(earth).

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:23 am
Shinki wrote:
If you're going to quote the bible, don't mistranslate a verse, take it out of context, and then quote three words without saying where it came from.

Just a reference to it that I presumed you'd be smart enough to understand without needing it spelled out.

Quote:
"And your sight will be on all the life on the land . . .I gave all of it to you" (God to Noah, Genesis 9:2-4)

But if you want to get biblical, that can be interpreted that God mean JUST the Earth by "land". Not other worlds.

Quote:
Just as I don't give a hoot how many bacteria I slaughter every time I blow my nose or scratch my ear, so I don't care about the feelings of alien bacteria.

The only reason I continue in this topic with you is because I find it hilarious that an Israeli is advocating genocide on a planetwide scale.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:57 am
I think we should be open to the need to let life prosper on other worlds if it already exists. But we can also work for a peaceful merging of cultures if this is indeed possible. If we find life elsewhere it will be a precious discovery.

On the moon, the Chandrayaan-1 probe recently confirmed my solar moisture theory, so that it is now possible to start geopooling the moon. Geopooling (or aquaforming to emphasize manmade efforts) is the process by which a celestial body forms large bodies of water by accumulation of ambient solar moisture. Aquaforming will be a key step in terraforming a dry celestial body.

See my patent pending method of watering the moon.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:26 am
Quote:
Shinki wrote:

Just a reference to it that I presumed you'd be smart enough to understand without needing it spelled out.

The commandment is only applicable to the Jews. There is no commandment to treat or love non-Jews as a Jew would treat himself, much less alien beings. It is christianity which says that you should treat everybody like everybody else, not Judaism.

Quote:
But if you want to get biblical, that can be interpreted that God mean JUST the Earth by "land". Not other worlds.

Quote:

The only reason I continue in this topic with you is because I find it hilarious that an Israeli is advocating genocide on a planetwide scale.

What's wrong with genocide? Murder is wrong, and especially murder of Jews, but Jews are commanded to wipe out all amalekites!

Last edited by SuperShuki on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:31 am
There's a big problem with saying that the problem with the Holocaust wasn't antisemitism, but rather genocide. The Holocaust was the German's war against the Jews. Period.
True, other people were persecuted. And that was terrible. But the German's weren't fighting in order to murder gypsies. They were fighting in order to murder Jews.
In any case, there is a difference between wiping out bacteria and animals and wiping out conscious life.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 am
Every human are equal - a murder of one, is a murder, no matter race, nationality, height, sexual orientation, sex, etc. Ranking one above another is pointless

Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: When wouldn't you terraform?   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm
Ok, Guys
We get the point. Space the final frontier! So we going to drag all that out there with us huh? yuck.

Monroe