Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Kiva New Space team

Kiva New Space team

Posted by: Ben - Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:27 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
Kiva New Space team 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:27 am
I started a team on Kiva for people interested in New Space. http://www.kiva.org/community/viewTeam?team_id=8006

Kiva is a microfinance site, where you can loan a relatively small amount of money ($25USD) to an entrepreneur who doesn't have other financial resources.

Quote:
Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe.
-- http://www.kiva.org/about

Almost all of the loans get repaid, and you can then withdraw the money or lend it to someone else. The way I see it, I can earn 1% in a money market fund and make some wall street guy's life better, or I can make 0% and help someone work their way out of poverty.

I'd like to say that the New Space team is beating Nasa, but there is no Nasa team. So we're winning by default. We did recently pass both IKEA and the Republicans. We're currently 1409 out of 8576 teams.

http://www.kiva.org/community/viewTeam?team_id=8006

We currently have three members, and I welcome anyone who is interested. Even if you don't join the New Space team, I really encourage you to look into Kiva and try out a loan. I have enough outstanding loans now that every month I can make three or four new loans from the payments of the old ones, without putting any new money in. Seriously helping people with no cost to me, it's amazing!

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 pm
Kiva is a very good microloan organization. I've made about 13 nloans, all of which have been repayed. Key is to continue re-loaning money as it gets paid back. I've only invested about $100 total (4 initial loans) in Kiva; the rest of the loans are re-loans of this original investment.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:41 pm
I hit $1500 today, about half of which is in the New Space group. The five loans I made over the last couple days all came from repayments this month, which is great, as you point out.

The group now has 5 members and 33 loans.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Mon May 14, 2012 7:05 pm
What happened to the page at Kiva? My company needs capitalization.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 8:09 pm
The team still exists, Kiva changed their link structure. http://www.kiva.org/team/newspace

Kiva is not what you're looking for, though. It is a place to fund microfinance institutions, not be funded by them.

In Team New Space news, we now have 22 members and 572 loans, creeping up on $15,000. I personally just hit 500 loans.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Kiva New Space team   Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 pm
I just joined your group. :)

I visited Kiva for the first time after i ranted to my co workers about sharing resources more freely and how that would help everyone. It was about a month ago.

I still haven't contributed yet, but i will get there. :)

I am thinking about how we could use the space industry to drive humanity out of the rut we are in at the moment.

We have so much human capital, but it is all wasted on poverty/diseases etc...

If we want to speed up space colonisation, we need more people working on it, which means we need those people who are stuck at the "struggling to survive" level to be boosted up to our comfortable "what do i do with my free time" level.

Now how do we do that without causing an environmental catastrophy caused by large scale consumerism being unleashed because of having a truckload more people being able to buy insane amounts of "useless" products is another question. :D

trying to figure that out too :D

Busy, busy, busy.

Profile WWW