Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > GreenPeace Releases Space Advertisement Movie

GreenPeace Releases Space Advertisement Movie

Posted by: Sigurd - Wed May 19, 2004 8:09 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
GreenPeace Releases Space Advertisement Movie 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post GreenPeace Releases Space Advertisement Movie   Posted on: Wed May 19, 2004 8:09 pm
It's a funny movie, an alien board has to decide what to do with earth :)

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/aliens/mov ... on300w.wmv

No mather what.. this movie helps to put space more in peoples mind ;)

An older topic on this forum http://www.xprize.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=202 also shows that you can compare earth with a spaceship... and we're destroying it..

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:13 pm
That was a "Laugh Out Loud" video! I LOVED it! It did indeed touch on many superb topics. As a matter of fact, I recently read an unpublished SF short story that was a mix of this video and "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The galactic congress needed to decide to contact earthlings, allow them to develop by themselves, or exterminate them through 'humane' sterilization. All of these things just galvanize the question: "Why would extraterrestrials want to contact us?" If I were an ET with higher intelligence, Earth might be interesting in an anthropological sense but very little else.

Please, anyone who has not viewed this movie, should. I love the last lines...

"... you've been taking a look at Uranus?"
"There's a problem there..."

Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:44 pm
wow.... that is maybe the best propaganda film i've ever watched. and no, just because it's right doesn't mean it's not propaganda.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:55 pm
Of course it's propaganda, but IMHO 90% of what we watch today falls into that category. I did note their awe and fear when a pic of President Bush was displayed on their screen. I think too often people blame and rely on monolithic structures. Sure, we can blame the president for some things that have gone awry. Sure we can blame the Enron executives for their illegal handling of money, etc... but it boils down to a misdirection of society. We the People of the world, not just the US are to blame for many of these misgivings. It is just easier to blame an individual or small group than to chastize ourselves or change our own ways.

Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:05 pm
kc7rad wrote:
Of course it's propaganda, but IMHO 90% of what we watch today falls into that category. I did note their awe and fear when a pic of President Bush was displayed on their screen. I think too often people blame and rely on monolithic structures. Sure, we can blame the president for some things that have gone awry. Sure we can blame the Enron executives for their illegal handling of money, etc... but it boils down to a misdirection of society. We the People of the world, not just the US are to blame for many of these misgivings. It is just easier to blame an individual or small group than to chastize ourselves or change our own ways.

You're perfectly right.. same with space... some people wait in their chair.. expect the government to do all the work (or someone else).. they forget that the governemnt exists out of "people" just like them.. they forget all people are normal.. and that everyone.. can "try" to achieve something..
But those laizy peopel.. are often very quick to complain or give comments when something goes wrong... (of course some are so laizy they just even don't care about ANYTHING lol)

If everyone wakes up.. and tries to help.. and to develop... the world would be a better place ;) so blame the laizy people.. 8)

As example.. Bush makes mistakes.. Clinton made mistakes.. if John Kerry would get elected.. he'll make 100% sure mistakes... that's how people work.. we make mistakes... but it's to the public to accept it.. or not.. to try to correct it or not.. or to accept personal "intrests" in company deals.. or in the government positions or not..

So yes.. it's the people who decide what's acceptable or not.. but I get the idea (same in belgium) that some people expect the media or other organizations should decide or trace what party or group is right to vote for..
And in most cases.. it's the side with most money.. or who's able to say the best words.. instead of doing the best action (or sometimes we're lucky and the most money is on the good side).

I'm sure I can make a propaganda for something "terrible".. almost illegal.. and with using some nice tricks.. I can get MANNY people behind me... helping me.. to achieve something "terrible"...

Maybe it's time.. to scale up education.. (better education for the poor.. make it 100% free) make "knowledge" something cool.. make propaganda for "knowing".. searching for "peasonal ideas".. maybe that's something the government should invest in (or invest more in it). (in belgium, the US,.. so kinda every country on this little world ;))

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:45 pm
Sigurd wrote:
I'm sure I can make a propaganda for something "terrible".. almost illegal.. and with using some nice tricks.. I can get MANNY people behind me... helping me.. to achieve something "terrible"...
For a really good example of just such a thing hsappening, take a gander at Hitler's rise to power in Germany in the 30's. It was basically a propaganda-fuelled cult of personality. I firmly believe that if someone had assassinated Hitler in 1930, or if he had somehow been killed in the Bierstubenputsch, the Nazis would never have risen to power... But then, other nationalist forces might have. The soil was there, it was fertile, it just needed someone to sow something.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:48 pm
Autochton wrote:
Sigurd wrote:
For a really good example of just such a thing hsappening, take a gander at Hitler's rise to power in Germany in the 30's. It was basically a propaganda-fuelled cult of personality. I firmly believe that if someone had assassinated Hitler in 1930, or if he had somehow been killed in the Bierstubenputsch, the Nazis would never have risen to power... But then, other nationalist forces might have. The soil was there, it was fertile, it just needed someone to sow something.

Yeps :) so what do we need ? a REALLY GOOD "propaganda" for SPACE DEVELOPMENTS :D :D :D :D

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:20 pm
yep sigurd, we can hire the next.... goering wasn't it, he might have been luftwaffe..... of propaganda, and get him to promote the space race into a fanatic nationalistic ideal with millions of followers.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:07 pm
Ha Ha! The Luftwaffe were pretty good at space development but I think you meant Hermann Goebbles. Anyway, do we want to take those with no interest with us when the pioneers and adventurers go out and stake their claim? They will only try to charge us tax for breathing or something. :D

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:51 am
Awesome movie :wink:
I loved the part where they turn to look at the camera.