Community > Forum > International Space Efforts > British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?

British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?   Posted on: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm
Rob Coppinger is posting on the prospect of a British Space Agency.

"And so it begins the UK government public relations machine whirrs into action and canny science and innovation (and space!) minister Lord Drayson dangles the space agency carrot by not denying it could be announced next week

On 22 July in London there is to be a press conference about the new European Space Agency facility that is to be located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Centre, also home to the now privatised UK Atomic Energy Authority. The facility, for robotics, is supposed to herald a new level of investment by the UK in the European agency's activities

Since its unveiling in February 2008 the full detail of the 2008-2012 and beyond (allegedly) UK civil space strategy has been hidden behind talk of ongoing negotiations for the ESA's 2008 ministerial meeting spending round decisions and review after review about the UK's possible role in an international exploration effort
" Read More

Roketeer also posted on this topic

"Rocketeer comments: As I think I've said before, I kind of have mixed feelings about this. In the sense that it shows an increased political priority for space policy, it's potentially a good thing, but I don't want to see another bloated bureaucratic monster like NASA. An agile, responsive agency working on key enabling technologies in the DARPA model would be better, I think.

I also don't want it to be called BNSC, because of the longtime confusion with the NSC in Leicester. I kind of like the name SEDA for Space Exploration and Development Agency -- because we'll go places, and build stuff when we get there
."

The Herald also reported

"Science minister Lord Drayson yesterday refused to rule out the creation of a British version of US space agency Nasa.

The peer said the government was looking at re-organising its space policy, which required a "much higher profile". Asked to rule out a dedicated space agency in the future he said: "We are looking at the way in which we are organised in managing space, getting better co-ordination across departments - so watch this space."

"We are going to look at whether or not we need to change the way we organise our space policy to address the valid criticisms of better co-ordination across departments," he told BBC1's The Politics Show
."

Interesting! :)
Rob

Profile WWW
Post Re: British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?   Posted on: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:25 am
Did this happen?

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?   Posted on: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:30 pm
No. They're still suggesting it as a possibility, though.

What I'd like to see are Space Miniagencies, each working on a certain project. For example, one might be intersted in rocket engines, another fuel combinations. Some might be interested in manned capsules, while others want to work on robotics. Give each a budget of £20 million.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?   Posted on: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:52 pm
They could always launch a small telescope to look at area 51.

I jest, good sirs.

Perhaps this could be something to do with virgin galactic. I did hear they were going to be based in the uk (scotland), although it sounded like the government screwed it up somehow and that might not be happening. Pretty darn typical if that's true.

White Knights could make mini sat launches too. That'd be pretty nice.

Likewise I'm interested in the WN's possibility as a multi-role aircraft. It'd be useful as a hauler. Branson hinted ages ago he'd like it used for disaster relief and stuff. Although he might have just been thinking out loud and made a boo-boo. Still, would probably be pretty capable for that as well, assuming it's not just a gimmick.

Eh, maybe Skylon too... Skylon! I love saying that.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: British Space Agency to be unveiled July 22nd?   Posted on: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:43 am
That was supposed to be a British spacecraft. They started work at BAe before it was cancelled.