Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > How many years John

How many years John

Posted by: Dan Frederiksen - Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
How many years John 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:35 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
Yehoshua, when would a killing not be murder. The police come rushing: did you murder him? nah I just killed him. well fine then, carry on. think!

Wrong again. Two words: self defense. And the defense of others. Thats the basic difference between them.

Can't you figure the statistical chance of you being the only one right?

By the way, I found an interesting article, if you won't mind taking a look...

Quote:
Megalomania (from the Greek word μεγαλομανία; megalo-, meaning large, and mania) is a historical term for behavior characterized by an obsession or preoccupation with wealth, power, genius, or omnipotence - often generally termed as delusions of grandeur or grandiose delusions.

Megalomania denotes an obsession with having and/or obtaining, grandiosity and extravagance (especially in the form of great fame and popularity, material wealth, social influence or political power, or more than one or even all of the aforesaid). It may be a symptom of manic or paranoid disorders. However it is not considered a distinct mental disorder of itself according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Delusions of grandeur, commonly seen in psychosis, may be seen as distinct from megalomania: a megalomaniac's overwhelming and excessive preoccupation with his or her own importance, though it may be considered pathological, is not necessarily delusional. A delusion of grandeur, if it is a true delusion, must meet the psychiatric criteria for delusion.

Whereas it is possible, in the case of megalomania, for an actually important man/woman to be preoccupied with his/her own actual importance, a person suffering from delusions of grandeur would stubbornly entertain patently false, generally fantastic and often highly complex ideas of his/her own importance, often with a supernatural or science-fictional bent. A person suffering from delusions of grandeur may actually be an important figure, as in the case of the mathematician John Nash, who once rejected a prestigious academic chair on the grounds that he was due to be enthroned as the Emperor of Antarctica.

Delusions of grandeur would seem to be one of the two main—and possibly connected—delusions of paranoid schizophrenia. And, it is interesting to note, delusions of grandeur, though constituting psychotic ideation, are possibly largely recreational in nature and represent irrational and compelling but not unpleasant or disturbing fantasies. In a PBS interview, John Nash said the following about his own delusions of grandeur:

Quote:
I think mental illness or madness can be an escape also. People don't develop a mental illness because they are in the happiest of situations usually. One doctor observed that it was rare when people were rich to become schizophrenic. If they were poor or didn't have too much money, then it was more likely. And this is natural, if things are very good, you can find satisfaction with the world as it is, as it seems to be. If things are not so good, you may be one to imagine something better.

For me, I was able to imagine myself as in a role of greater importance than I would seem to be ordinarily. At the time, I had some recognition. I was making some progress professionally, but I wasn't really at the top. I didn't have top level recognition, and so when I started thinking irrationally, I imagined myself as really on a Number 1 level. I was the most important person of the world, and people like the Pope would be just like enemies, who would try to put me down in some way or another, or the president.
—John Nash

What is salient in delusions of grandeur is not just that the grandiose self conception is usually fantastic but also that the ordinary and laborious channels of achievement are completely circumvented and a shortcut route is taken to a "success" which is exaggerated to the point of caricature, as in the case of John Nash maintaining that he was to be Emperor of Antarctica. Sigmund Freud once said that "It might be maintained that... paranoid ideation is a caricature of a philosophical system."

In delusions of grandeur the sense of caricature is present without the sense of grand rationale that is provided in delusions of persecution. What may go overlooked, because of the psychotic context of the delusory belief, is that delusions of grandeur are not only venal but evince a desire for success without effort, a common element of criminal thought patterns. Looked at in this light, delusions of grandeur may be indicative of either a comorbid personality disorder or of the integration of personality disorder and thought disorder in paranoid schizophrenia.

Until you show proof of what entitles you to be the supreme judge of character, religion and science, Dan, that seems to be a likely diagnosis.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm
It is an interesting phenomenon that a measure of intelligence and confidence would spawn such a torrent of stupidity levelled against it.
While the attacks are numerous and the accusations grand, one might observe that your diagnoses are not terribly well aligned with eachother. But that doesn't seem to in any way persuade you from making bold claims.

To toy with your mindlessness, I might well be one of the most important people on the planet, and the pope is certainly my enemy as he is the head of a lying organisation that covers for homo pedophiles that are supposedly celibate yet still die from aids in greatly above average numbers, all the while pretending to be christian, distracting from Jesus. and you could even say POTUS is my enemy as while he appears to be a saint compared to the blatant satanists like Bush et al, he is far from uncompromising enough to clean up the really big problems like the evil that is the CIA, the NSA, the NRO, the military in its entirety including its token branch nasa. not that Obama likely knows my name.
but saying I'm the emperor of Antarctica is perhaps a stretch : )

Last edited by Dan Frederiksen on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Very Very Very thin ice, so thin in fact that water is coming through!

I am suggesting we leave religion alone for now! Any more pottentially offensive statements and we will start taking things further.

It stops now!
Please respect this.

Robert

Dan started! :lol:
And this forum is All About Dan, so why shouldn't I respond in kind?
Seriously, the idea that the Jews killed jesus has been a claim that has been used as an excuse to murder hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Jews. I was making fun of the idea. Of course, I was also making fun of Christianity. But that was in response to Dan, and as I wrote, this forum is All About Dan (I think it really should be moved to the entertainment forum).
I have no idea if anyone named jesus even existed. Of course, Christians shouldn't have any problem with my biblical quote. After all, they believe in the bible too . . .

Last edited by SuperShuki on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
It is an interesting phenomenon that a measure of intelligence and confidence would spawn such a torrent of stupidity levelled against it.
While the attacks are numerous and the accusations grand, one might observe that your diagnoses are not terribly well aligned with eachother. But that doesn't seem to in any way persuade you from making bold claims.

To toy with your mindlessness, I might well be one of the most important people on the planet, and the pope is certainly my enemy as he is the head of a lying organisation that covers for homo pedophiles that are supposedly celibate yet still die from aids in greatly above average numbers, all the while pretending to be christian, distracting from Jesus. and you could even say POTUS is my enemy as while he appears to be a saint compared to the blatant satanists like Bush et al, he is far from uncompromising enough to clean up the really big problems like the evil that is the CIA, the NSA, the NRO, the military in its entirety including its token branch nasa. not that Obama likely knows my name.

What's the NRO?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 pm
SuperShuki wrote:
What's the NRO?

it's the boys with the toys in the sky and then some. you will only find the official superficial story about them.
there is a whole different world behind closed doors and you sheep are thoughtless enough to buy that Nasa is state of the art

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm
Dan, what do you think about UFO's? Just wondering . . .

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:38 pm
Quote:
you could even say POTUS is my enemy

C.A.R.N.I.V.O.R.E. Processing...

Notifying... FBI...
Notifying... CIA...
Notifying... NSA...
Notifying... NRO...
Notifying... Stargate Command...

ALL AGENCIES NOTIFIED.
THANK YOU FOR USING C.A.R.N.I.V.O.R.E. AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 pm
I believe the phenomenon to be real but spiritual in nature rather than exotechnological. I believe them to be demonic rather than the illusion of galactic neighbors. I have no doubt that will seem completely foolish to many of you but it is a theory that happens to fit quite a few significant facts. since most of you have trouble with simple concepts such as radio transmitters this is probably too far ahead for any meaningful debate here.

for a faint glimmer of the situation you can look at these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7X8HK-3iWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ttSXYwZsg

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:06 pm
OK, this isn't fun anymore. Anything else I say would just be making fun of Dan. I think that this forum should be deleted, or else put in the entertainment section and stopped from being on the top of the list everytime someone posts to it. And Dan should be only allowed to post to this forum.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm
Dan Frederiksen wrote:

I can only see the confidence, but that might be stubborness in disguise. What is your definition of inteligence?
Dan Frederiksen wrote:

No bold claims, no multiple diagnosis, just one, that fits better and better:
Quote:
Whereas it is possible, in the case of megalomania, for an actually important man/woman to be preoccupied with his/her own actual importance, a person suffering from delusions of grandeur would stubbornly entertain patently false, generally fantastic and often highly complex ideas of his/her own importance, often with a supernatural or science-fictional bent. A person suffering from delusions of grandeur may actually be an important figure, as in the case of the mathematician John Nash, who once rejected a prestigious academic chair on the grounds that he was due to be enthroned as the Emperor of Antarctica.

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

mind·less (mndls)
adj.
a. Lacking intelligence or good sense; foolish.
b. Having no intelligent purpose, meaning, or direction: mindless violence.
2. Giving or showing little attention or care; heedless: mindless of the dangers.

My post was none of those. :mrgreen:

Your comparisons, claims and "instincts" about how things should be done do fit the bill, though.

Your paranoia about the designs and machinations of the US government get you perfectly as a megalomaniac.

And you can only claim the "Emperor of Antarctica" title when you deserve it. You are no John Nash ;)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:23 pm
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the humor section?

Profile ICQ
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 pm
ok... i agree that this religious stuff needs to be cut out of this thread. some of you don't seem to be listening all that well though.

back on topic though....

Dan, you apparently did not read my post very carefully. I wasn't asking about who or how your telescope would be funded. I was asking how much you thought it would take for Armadillo to launch any 10kg payload into orbit.

the fact that you think you should not "dignify" my comments is a laughable remark. To be honest I am quite insulted by the fact that you can slop around some B.S numbers claiming them to be God's holy truth only because you said them. Have you yet listed any equations by which you derived these answers? nary a one. You have no concept of the true technical nature of these systems you speak of, and throw in random terms to make yourself seem more intelligent.

You, Mr. Frederiksen, are an arm-chair quarterback. Spouting off how the real players of the game are doing things wrong and how you would be doing them soooooo much better while you sit there comfortably in your living room. You obviously have no interest in any of this otherwise you would be actively participating instead of berating and spouting off nonsense.

Dan, I honestly would like to see you put forth a true effort in proving your knowledge by backing up your statements with HARD FACTS.

As a start, I propose this simple endeavor.

Assuming a 10kg payload the size of your telescope. Assuming your telescope is already paid for and built. Tell me how much you think it would cost for Armadillo Aerospace to place your 10kg payload into orbit.
Give me the best estimate you can BUT you must also qualify your estimate by including actual figures and equations.
Also include the reasoning as to how you came to the conclusions you did. don't forget to include the cost estimates of development, building, infrastructure, etc. And a time estimate from beginning of the project to the first orbit.
These things should not be too difficult for you to accomplish. It may take you a couple of days to get things done, but I'll be waiting patiently.

Yes, Dan. It all revolves around money. It sucks, it really does suck, but that is reality. Hell, I would like nothing better than to be building my combined-cycle engine concept, but when you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

So. I am looking forward to your response, Dan. I do hope that you will come to the table with real data this time so we can discuss the matter like it should be discussed.

Mike

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:47 pm
MFL, I'm not jumping through hoops because some mindless desire to spout orders entered your mind.

and of course it costs money, that's why I'm suggesting it to John who has the means

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 am
Dan Frederiksen wrote:
What I base my intuition on is iirc a value of 25Watt transmission power from an astra tv satellite covering a continent with several analogue tv channels each one capable of carrying HDTV and that can be picked up nicely with a 60cm dish from 36000km away. what I'm proposing is a single channel or maybe half speed from about 1/100 that distance and picked up with a 2meter dish or even bigger. I think I'm on solid ground when I believe it can be done easily.

I have to interject here to clear up the manure that is being spread around this subject. Luckily there is zero chance that anyone will take what is being proposed seriously, but it really annoys me to hear ignorance being spouted with an air of authority attached to it. I suspect that Dan has never even used a real radio transmitter, he certainly doesn't know enough to legally operate one on any licensed spectrum. (Yes I used to be a Ham operator.) If I'm wrong about this hopefully he will tell us his callsign.

Antenna performance is not measured in cms or meters, it is measured in gain, in units known as dB or dBi (not the same thing btw). Antenna design is something of a art-form. The interplay between different radiating and reflecting elements of the antenna focus the signal in certain directions, and a similar effect is seen when it comes to picking up signals. That's an extremely oversimplified explanation, like I said it's an artform and people have spent their lives designing new antennaes for specific purposes. Some other people just pick a dish measurement out of thin air and make it work by insisting on it.

A non-tracking omni on a LEO satellite is just not feasible due to a characteristic of radio waves known as polarization. Satellites in low earth orbit use circular polarization with active tracking for very good reasons. A pair of horizontal or vertically polarized antennaes would not see each other if you rotated one of them by 90 degrees. Circular polarization simplifies the comms link by removing one variable from the equation. Building an omni-directional, circularly polarized antenna is extremely difficult, and they still have a high gain characteristic, typically 5 dB or more. And btw that gain is undesirable when your not tracking the antenna.

Broadcasting to a wide area which is not moving relative to the transmitter, from 36000km is trivial compared to trying to broadcast to a single small dish which is about 300-1000km away and moving at a relative speed of 27000kmh... All that a GEO comms satellite really has to do is stay in one place and keep pointing in the same direction. There are other general issues of course, like keeping the solar panels pointed at the sun, shielding sensitive components and radiating all the heat generated by the amplifiers and other electronics on board. On the other hand a LEO satellite has to deal with doppler effects, atmospheric refraction, tracking multiple ground stations, especially during changeovers, and many other issues. Moving the camera equipment to track the subject, moving the antenna to track the ground station, and rotating the solar panels to track the sun will all contribute to the overall attitude of the satellite. As everyone except one person reading this will see, the design and operation is far from simple. And I haven't even mentioned the issue of a command uplink yet.
I could go on ripping this scheme to shreds all night, but it kinda started off in shreds from my point of view, so it's hard to tell when I'm finished. The worst part is that the muppet who dreamed up this plan thinks it's solid.

I'm not trying to boast here, but I just want to establish my credentials to speak on this topic. I have setup up a 15 meter (21MHz) station which communicated from the west coast of Ireland to several different Ham operators in the US and Canada. I have also contacted a Ham in Greece on VHF due to a freak ionospheric condition. I have built a 2.4Ghz wireless network across 15000km^2 with almost 100 nodes, and the longest link was over 60km. Unfortunately God doesn't speak directly to me, but I think I've done alright without divine help.

Mark Twain said that a man who can read but doesn't, has no advantage over a man who can't read. I agree with this statement and I would like to expand on it a little. A man who lives his life like Dan has no advantage over a man encased up to his neck in reinforced concrete. And as a man who used to teach me carpentry once said, "Losing a pint of blood will teach you more about handling tools than you can ever learn in a book".

johno

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: How many years John   Posted on: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16 am
God speaks to you always johno, you just don't listen

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next