Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Who Here wants to BE an astronaut?

Who Here wants to BE an astronaut?

Posted by: Diadem - Wed May 19, 2004 12:53 pm
 [ 23 posts ] 

What do you want to do... see space, or work there?
I wanna be an astronaut! woo! 69%  69%  [ 25 ]
Space tourist... 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
I dont think you will be able to be either one. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

Post Re: Computers   Posted on: Thu May 20, 2004 12:29 pm
spacecowboy wrote:
Rocketguy wrote:
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/mf34.htm

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraf ... o/info.htm

There are also ways of doing vertical launch and vertical landing without computers.

Might I note here that the Convair Pogo was insanely hard to fly and would have benefited greatly from flight control computers such as are in the F-117 and B-2.

author is making the argument for fully automated space transport, via either nearly-sentient individual ships or a nearly-sentient centralized traffic-control network (the latter is nearly impossible for space travel, but theoretically works nicely for intra-planetary transit). This is computer with possible manual override. The pilot's either nonexistant or for show only.

Most of the rest of you are thinking more along the lines of current jetliner and fighters: pilot with computer assist.

Two different critters, folks.

No. Convair's Pogo was NOT "insanely hard to fly." It was hard TO LAND. Convair engineers concluded landings would be much easier if the pilot were in a headfirst position in a pod in the tail so that during landings he would actually be standing up instead of looking over his shoulder. Had the project advanced further they might have made this change. Neil Armstrong's lunar landing demonstrated the benefits of the stand up position.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu May 20, 2004 8:42 pm
Actually I think I'd rather be a colonist than an astronaut. I'd love to stake a claim on a manhattan sized rock out in one of Trojan asteroid areas of Jupiter.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Computers   Posted on: Fri May 21, 2004 12:33 pm
Rocketguy wrote:
No. Convair's Pogo was NOT "insanely hard to fly." It was hard TO LAND. Convair engineers concluded landings would be much easier if the pilot were in a headfirst position in a pod in the tail so that during landings he would actually be standing up instead of looking over his shoulder. Had the project advanced further they might have made this change. Neil Armstrong's lunar landing demonstrated the benefits of the stand up position.

You're right; that's what I meant to say. Just substitute "land" for "fly". I plead stupidity from having just gotten out of a long class.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:45 pm
:o

I'm concerned that some of the X-Prize contestants have refused to wear pressure-suits in case anything goes wrong with the cabin pressure
at high altitudes.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:36 pm
SS1 is the only one i think with fully incorporated life support. also, i think if something goes wrong at altitude, odds are pressure suits wouldn't do anything.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:57 pm
A pressure suit would keep you alive long enough to witness the brakup of your space craft as it re-entered....

Profile ICQ YIM
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:43 am
dosent everyone dream of flying in space, i remember countless times looking up at the stars saying that i would get up there some day, regardless the of the restrants (i.e. money, gov't, technology) there is always going to be somebody wondering what else is out there. Hey i'm still looking forward to the Star Trek times, lol, i'm just hoping its not going to take another 2,000 years.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:27 am
I think you may have to wait a while for something like that, eheh :roll: . But, I have always wanted to at least see it first hand ( space, I mean :D ) and as simple a wish as that is (that was sarcasm :? ) it's what got me interested in the xprize in the first place - apart from the opportunity to work in space someday (might happen, might not, who really knows?) all I really want to do is be able to say I've been there... if only once, and for a few brief minutes, it would be, I think, a life altering event. For me, anyway. ( I get all gushy when I think about it ). 8)