Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > MarsDrive is Here

MarsDrive is Here

Posted by: MarsDriver - Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:26 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
MarsDrive is Here 
Post MarsDrive is Here   Posted on: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:26 am
Hi everyone, my name is Frank, and I run a group called MarsDrive. Not sure if anyone has heard of us but you can check us out over here. We have been around since 2005 and from the start our aim was to support the private space sector in an advocacy role. We support all forms of funding for space projects, whether it be government or private.

The reason I am here is that recently I have hit upon a potential solution to funding human missions to Mars and the development of cheap space access (yes- both) and I am trying to form a think tank to develop the details. It kind of surprises me that more people aren't working at these sorts of issues, then I found this site :) My solution may turn out to be nothing, I'm the first to say it, but after 4 plus years of research, and alot of lateral thinking I can say this much- My idea, (while missing alot of detail), can solve the following issues-

1. Makes a profit even if the mission never happens
2. Will open up large scale investment and change public perceptions of the private space sector
3. Overcomes much of the risk of such missions, you could say- "risk proof".

Some aspects of my research can be found in this article.

I have advanced since I wrote that, but it will give you an idea of some of my thinking.

MarsDrive is a 501c3 non profit in the U.S and Australia, and we like to think of ourselves as part of a new generation of space advocates that is working to support private space initiatives rather than spending all our money on government lobbying (where governments don't listen anyway). The private space sector needs advocacy groups in support of it, but we also need the support of the private space companies that are around if we are to win. For commercial and legal reasons I can't explain much more about my "solution" here, but I am looking for anyone who wants to be part of it. I will gladly take part in this forum though, and maybe I'll give just enough clues away that you guys might guess what my idea is. :) Between running MarsDrive and my day job I am kept pretty busy so if you want to contact me please PM me any time and I'll do my best to answer you.

In short though, I believe (and can prove), that the best way we can develop a space economy is if the private sector leads the way (even with government funding). MarsDrive is here to help.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: MarsDrive is Here   Posted on: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 am
Of course, maybe no-one had anything to say in a reply, so they didn't...

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: MarsDrive is Here   Posted on: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm
I have a similar project in the works, geared towards collaborative development. Contact me at shalrath239@gmail.com if you'd like to hear more about it. We are in the process of incorporating as a 501(c)3 as well.

I believe there is a good case for our organizations to work together.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: MarsDrive is Here   Posted on: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:50 am
I'm in if there is hardware. We need more action less talk.

Monroe
Team Prometheus