Community > Forum > Official Team Prometheus Forum > Project Outline and Milestones

Project Outline and Milestones

Posted by: stew_lilley - Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Project Outline and Milestones 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Project Outline and Milestones   Posted on: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm
Monroe,

I just took a stab at a very preliminary project outline based on my current understanding of the project. I'm pretty sure I have some of the details wrong, but I can wrangle this into a better form as my understanding improves. This needs considerable fleshing out with more details, but it's a step in the direction of a realistic project schedule and budget. I still think it's a very ambitious goal to meet the N-Prize deadline based on my prior project management experience, but the way to get there is like how you eat an elephant... one bite at a time.

Stew

Code:
Project Outline:
1.Balloon
  1.Structure
    1.Envelope
    2.Lifting Gas Generation/Filling
    3.Testing
2.Propulsion
  1.Power Source
    1.Selection
    2.Testing
    3.Integration
  2.Thrusters
    1.Design
    2.Build
    3.Test
    4.Integration
  3.GNC (Guidance, Navigation, Control)
    1.Power Source
    2.Hardware
    3.Software
    4.Testing
    5.Integration
  4.Recovery
    1.Venting?
    2.Parachute?
    3.Integration
    4.Testing
2.Rocket
  1.First Stage
    1.Structure
      1.Design
      2.Build
      3.Test
    2.Propulsion
      1.Propellant Selection and Characterization
      2.Motor Design
      3.Motor Build
      4.Motor Testing and Qualification
      5.Motor Integration
      6.Ignition System
    3.GNC
      1.Power Source
      2.Hardware
      3.Software
      4.Testing
      5.Integration
    4.Recovery
  2.Second Stage
    1.Structure
      1.Design
      2.Build
      3.Test
    2.Propulsion
      1.Propellant Selection and Characterization
      2.Motor Design
      3.Motor Build
      4.Motor Testing and Qualification
      5.Motor Integration
      6.Ignition System
    3.GNC
      1.Power Source
      2.Hardware
      3.Software
      4.Testing
      5.Integration
    4.Recovery
3.Satellite
  1.Structure
    1.Design
    2.Build
    3.Test
  2.GNC
    1.Power Source
    2.Hardware
    3.Software
    4.Testing
    5.Integration
  3.Orbit Design
  4.Recovery? (N-Plus Prize)
4.Ground Support
  1.Launch Site
  2.Propellants/Consumables
  3.Transportation
  4.Storage
  5.Lodging/Meals
  6.Weather Forecasting
5.Testing Equipment
  1.Motor Test Stand
    1.Structure
    2.Measurement/Data Acquisition System
    3.Firing Controls
    4.Safety Measures
  2.Electronics Testing Equipment
    1.Battery Load Testing
    2.Shake Test
  3.Thermal/Vacuum Chamber
6.Regulatory/Safety
  1.Government Launch Approvals
  2.Materials Handling/Storage
  3.Range Safety
  4.N-Prize Committee Notifications and Liaison
7.Post-Launch Recovery
  1.Tracking
  2.Transportation
  3.Refit/Refurbish
8.Computer Aided Engineering
  1.Balloon Model
  2.Rocket Model
  3.Orbit Model
  4.Communications Model
9.Documentation/Procedures
  1.Travel Checklist
  2. Go/No-Go Criteria
  3.Pre-Launch Checklist
  4.Mission Event Timeline
  5.Tracking/Recovery Checklist
  6.Prize Application
10.PR/Media/Bandwagon
  1.Website
  2.Press Releases
  3.Fan Community
11.Funding/Sponsorship
  1.Banking/Accounting
  2.Documentation for N-Prize Committee
  3.Advertising/Sponsorship/Donations

Project Milestones:

1.Balloon platform stabilization, tracking, telemetry, and recovery – NSX2?
2.Balloon launch and recovery of demonstration rocket
3.Balloon platform propulsion and stationkeeping
4.First stage motor flight hardware ground test
5.Second stage motor flight hardware ground test
6.Ground launch and recovery of 1 stage rocket with satellite payload
7.Ground launch and recovery of 2 stage rocket with satellite payload
8.Balloon launch and recovery of 2 stage rocket with satellite payload – N Prize Attempt

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:13 pm
Stew
Great! Meeting!
Very good mission layout! Very little tweaking required I will look this over tonight and get back with you on this plan. Thank you for making the proper effort! The data ack. will work for the Vacuum Chamber very well!. We want to run some static test (Of the small QPIII motors) out there at your place in Lampasas on Wed. I'm thinking around 2:00 PM we'll have to see what Dave has in mind.
We also have a new member David Herroitt that is an AS. Engineer working with the ISS mission and he has a MS. in business as well I expect he will show up here very soon. He fixed our Summary for the New Space Frontier Foundation Business Plan Contest we entered we may be at the New Space Conference in July in Cal. we will know pretty soon. He is doing a complete business plan for us.

Monroe

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:21 am
Monroe,

I can detail this out more now that I know more. After our meeting I have an idea of how to proceed for the next few steps at least, and I can plan based on that. Unfortunately, there might be a problem with the Wednesday test schedule. I checked and right now Lampasas county is still under a burn ban, so unshielded outdoor burning is prohibited. There are a couple of options, which I will investigate. One is to use the local airport, with the permission of the city officials. I know most of them, because I fix their computers. I'd love to use our own property but I doubt the county will allow it, but perhaps if they send a fire truck out to observe. I'll check into that on Monday ASAP and let you guys know. I give it maybe a 50-75% chance of being able to pull something out and proceed legally. Technically the burn ban allows burning in a burn barrel with a lid, and the lid requirements aren't specified, so theoretically we could cut a big hole in the bottom of a barrel, turn it over and put it over the test stand and it would meet the requirements, but I doubt we'd make many friends that way. I might also be able to convince the county judge to lift the ban for an hour or so. I'll do the legwork and let you know on Monday. Meanwhile it might be good to have an alternate plan just in case.

Stew

Texas County Burn Ban Map
http://content.news8austin.com/auscontent/ppv_banners/n8a_frame_create_burnban.htm

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 am
Roger that- sounds like you can handle it. Let me know we have had to delay because of burn-bans before. I'll check around here and see whats available as an option. If the FD would help out there that would be great because we wouldn't be able to do that here.

Monroe

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:42 am
It helps that it's a small town in a small county.... and my dad was the county judge until he decided not to run for a third term. The current judge is a friend, and the judge has the executive authority to lift the burn ban temporarily without convening the commissioner's court. For that matter I think the FD guys would love to come watch something interesting. Probably get half the sheriff's office too. If we did our tests at somewhere like the airport and publicized them, we could probably sell t-shirts and raise a few bucks! How many motors were you planning on bringing? It would be nice to test several and get some idea of the variability.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:18 am
Yes, I'm thinking 4or5 motors. They are long burners so a better crowd pleaser. TV news crews like that sort of thing to if there's not much else news. I like the airport anyway at least there are flying machines around and that’s always nice! We could delay a day or two if need be. You might ask them about balloon launches from there as well. We don’t have any T-Shirts designed yet we lost Christen along the way (I guess) she was supposed to do that.

Monroe

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:26 pm
Well, there isn't any TV here but there is a local radio station and a bi-weekly newspaper. I know the newspaper folks quite well.... guess who fixes their computers? If you want some publicity I can try to drum that up as well. They go to press at noon Monday for Tuesday's paper, so it's unlikely we'd be able to get advance publicity. They might cover the testing for a story afterward, though. We are exactly the kind of public interest piece that might get coverage on a slow news day.

How are you set for an ignition system and igniters? I have a homebrew 12V relay launcher that uses phone cord as the connection between the controller and the relay box, so you can make the separation as long as the cord you use. I think I have a 50' cord on it now. However, igniters I'm short on.

Stew

Profile WWW