Community > Forum > Official Team Prometheus Forum > Prometheus Hardware and upcoming test.

Prometheus Hardware and upcoming test.

Posted by: Monroe - Thu May 07, 2009 4:57 pm
 [ 20 posts ] 
Prometheus Hardware and upcoming test. 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Prometheus Hardware and upcoming test.   Posted on: Thu May 07, 2009 4:57 pm
Here we keep current about what test we have scheduled and progress toward launch dates and failures and successes

Last edited by Monroe on Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu May 07, 2009 5:01 pm
First Launch comming up. "Near Space Expedition I" to be set for Sunday May 17th. AM

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 pm
Second Launch "Promethean I" Scheduled for Sunday May 27th a certification launch for our first test mule.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:48 pm
Solid Rocket motor test!
http://www.teamprometheus.org/RocketMotors.html
More to come with video!

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 am
Love this picture

:)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:56 pm
Yes!!!!
Thanks Rob.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:07 pm
Dave's work looks very interesting Monroe!

Am i pushing it if i ask how you guys are working together? Is Prometheus funding him to progress it further, are you working as seperate organisations, or are you firmly in this together?

Again, very interesting work, Dave seems very switched on to this work, a great assett to your team!

Rob

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:41 am
We are self funded at Team Prometheus we all pull together! (we would not turn down more funding) Dave is a wonderfull addition to the team and is in fact playing a key roll in our current development.
Yes guy's like Dave are few. Dave has agreed to join Team Prometheus and Aeronautic Enterprises Incorporated. We really hope he enjoy's working with us as much as we enjoy working with him!
Just like everyone on the team Dave is free to work on anything he chooses and we will support as best we can anything Dave does just like the rest of the team.
That's what we do here! We are doing our best to advance our team and it's people in the New Space Frontier.

Monroe

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 am
OK, update on the test plans. It looks like we are clear to proceed. I had an opinion from the "ex" county judge today that the burn ban really shouldn't apply to our activities anyway since we aren't doing anything like burning brush. There's a field he was planning to plow this week on our land, so we should have a good place with several hundred feet of separation from anything important, and within reach of power (I have generator and truck inverter power as necessary) and water hose. I also had someone else tell me today that the burn ban isn't in effect right now, so I'll call the county officials tomorrow and get a straight word from them on it. At any rate, it looks like we are clear to proceed for Wednesday. Let me know a head count before you guys head this way so we can plan dinner accordingly!

Stew

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:37 am
Also on the subject of test equipment, I have located a tank I think will work for our vacuum chamber. It's a 100 gallon (at least) thick walled steel fuel transfer tank. It's an old tank that hasn't been used for anything important in quite some time. It has two 2" pipe thread fittings, one with a hand-crank fuel pump attached currently. I should be able to tractor it over to the shop and make an adapter so I can fill it with compressed air to at least 15 pounds and leak test it. If that works we can think about how to modify it with a door for use as a vacuum chamber. The tank is cylindrical and about the diameter of a big propane tank but shorter, with flat (or nearly flat) ends. It's not made as a high pressure vessel but I expect it will hold 15 pounds OK. Plus I already have it and it's free.

Stew

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:07 am
Do you have a cutting torch? I'd like to make a door like the one I told you about that we made for making the telescope mirrors. Because we can use it for a lot more things if it has a big door. Good find! As long as it's not too rusted out we can weld any leaks. Hey, do you have a compressor that would run a small sand blaster?

Monroe

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 pm
I have a very old cutting torch and bottle set that was probably last serviceable about 20 years ago. That's one of the things I've been keeping my eyes out for but haven't found yet, like a nice metal lathe.... I have done surgery on steel barrels with a cobalt drill bit and a jigsaw, but that would be very slow on thicker steel like this. I do have a good small compressor that will run air tools or a spray gun, which I also have. I have it rigged up to a hose reel in my shop but it's portable too.

For the tank, probably the easiest solution is to load it in the truck and take it down to one of the local welding shops where they can do the cut cleaner and in about an hour. Or perhaps I can scare up a client of mine that has cutting equipment, I do work for a body shop, a muffler shop, and a couple of mechanics. I have two tractors (well, they're Dad's, but they're available for use), a small one and a big one, both with bucket capability, and I have a set of clamp-on forklift forks that fits either one. The little tractor can handle about 400 pounds and can lift maybe 6 feet high, and the big tractor can handle 1500+ pounds and lift 12+ feet.

Stew

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:51 pm
OK, morning update. The burn ban is confirmed OFF so we have no problems. I have also contacted my friends at the local newspaper and we may have press coverage for this and future test. I think it's a good idea to build public support and get all the good press we can. It might lead to funding and/or donated resources as well as goodwill. I'd like people around here knowing who we are BEFORE they find balloon payloads landing on their property, it might help to prime the pump a bit. Plus, our story is newsworthy and should give people some GOOD news for a change, something to spur imaginations and inspire youngsters.

Stew

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 pm
Stew
Good news there. I am a great welder and I have a metal lathe or two we need a tig welder and a good torch. But we will do what we can until we can get thoes a plasma cutter would be nice. Yes timing is good for our project and if we can get comunity intrest we could do well. I'm going to persue more local funding now that we have some guy's working. The tractor will come in handy.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 pm
Well we calibrated the load cell and then fired a road runner to get a base line. We got a great profile and data on the commercial motor. Setup for a smaller KNSU and CATO first one I've had. The gas expanded our cardboard grain vessel and ran down the side. Pushed the cardboard against the alum. motor housing and blew out both ends. Damaged the load cell (not badly we hope) and put an end to the day.
So we collect data redesign and re-test. The load cell works great.

Monroe
Team Prometheus