Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Open Source Rocket.

Open Source Rocket.

Posted by: DanielW - Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 pm
 [ 18 posts ] 
Open Source Rocket. 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 am
The benefits of developing a complete open source launch system would be similar to the benefits of open source software.

The main benefit of open source is that you have thousands of people developing the hardware and sofware. You get free expertise to develop your hardware/software. In return, they get to use the accumulated knowledge. It's a win-win situation.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: rely on "facts"   Posted on: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm
ckpooley wrote:
The Wright Brothers ... invented the FACT of aviation.

I am not sure that is accurate. I don't think anyone can patent a law of physics, or patent the fact that it's possible to control the laws of physics for some purpose (ex: flying in the air)

A good read about the Wright patent business is http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Wright_Bros/Patent_Battles/WR12.htm

What brought the patent battle to an end, was WWI, and the need to share patent info among designers to win the war. That might provide some example of how to mitigate (or at least minimize) patent issues.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:36 pm
Quote:
The Wright's patents forced others to invent alternate control and power systems.

There was more motivation from the loss of life. The Wright's control system was not too great. I think that it would be better to drive alternate ideas by the necessities of physics as opposed to regulatory hurdles.

I do like the idea of coming up with an open set of specifications. Communications, power, and docking procedures, and atmospheres should be first.

Profile WWW