Community > Forum > Official Micro-Space Forum > Deep Space Hardware (MARS)

Deep Space Hardware (MARS)

Posted by: rpspeck - Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:57 am
 [ 334 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Deep Space Hardware (MARS) 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:45 pm
The magnets I discussed (unlike my active system) USE NO POWER AT ALL!

Silicon Solar (www.siliconsolar.com) offers their 07-1200, 6 inch square cell for $12.45. This cell produces 6 Amps of short circuit current in direct sunlight (est 40% more in space) and about 2 Watts DC power (5A at 0.4V), with a 14.7 gram mass! It can be cut to smaller size (<100cm CubeSat side), with a proportionate reduction in current and mass. It can also be cut in strips which can be soldered together in series for more voltage, with the same total power. (6 strips connected gives 0.8Amp, 2.4V, etc)(15gm)

I don't believe that a "Video" system has yet been used in a CubeSat. The "Taos" TSL1401R (856-TSL1401R0LF from www.mouser.com) can give you 128 pixel wide "Pushbroom" sensing, using the satellite orbital motion for the second scan axis (cost $8.17). You can prototype this scanning system by mounting the sensor and your added lens onto a slow rotation motor to simulate the satellite motion. If you call on the "Ham Radio Satellite Users" (Amsat, etc) for help, I think that a 10 milliwatt transmitter will be sufficient for slow image scan.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post RCS and Maneuvering CubeSat Details   Posted on: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:54 pm
Even tiny commercial pneumatic valves provide TOO MUCH gas flow to work well for attitude control in a CubeSat, or our similar sized “Very Low Massâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Temporal Orthogonality   Posted on: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 pm
It is really nice when you can count on a flow of ideas which make your systems better, lighter and lower cost! I admit that I find that flow most reliably connected with prayer, but I am thankful for the results. I will skip an update on my shrinking GLXP lander mass for today (but the 1.2 gram gearmotor actuators I am evaluating look very good, and my last post noted that it is hard to make a cold gas attitude jet “too smallâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Wireless Recharge   Posted on: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:40 am
We have the “Wireless Rechargeâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Radio Link Progress   Posted on: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:11 am
We are well on our way to finalizing the “Command, Control and Telemetryâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Systems Progress and Suborbital Rendezvous   Posted on: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:21 am
Time Flies! Micro-Space is making steady progress on several fronts. Our Google Lunar X PRIZE update captures some of this progress. We are making good progress on the wireless data links which will enable the modular, clustered flight systems which are at the core of our commercial strategy. We do not envision a large market for a single type of low mass, deep space experimental system. The cumulative market for a number of configurations will probably be significant, but this is only relevant if specialized configurations can be assembled – and flown – with limited custom engineering.

Among the configurations we are targeting, and plan to operationally demonstrate, are the lunar access system, the Google type Lunar Lander, and a sample return adaptation of the Lunar Lander.

Our wireless link uses modulation, decoding and synchronization hardware we are concurrently applying for our “Electro Magnetic Tractor Beamâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 pm
sounds pretty sweet!

when can we expect to see some videos? i want to see this "electro-magnetic tractor beam" in action (even if you have to use a microscope or some kind of special setup that negates gravity). i think i'll remain somewhat skeptical until i see a video, simply due to how awesome that would be.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Doppler Velocity Measurement and Navigation   Posted on: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 pm
I mentioned navigation in my last post. The contribution of “Coherent Radio Linksâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Phase Lock to Eliminate Drift   Posted on: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm
The problem with this, very simple Doppler Detection system, is that a good crystal oscillator will drift by one part per million in a few minutes under the best of conditions and, given the air temperature drop with altitude, the drift rate for the transmitter in a small rocket will be much faster than this. There is usually an initial delay of about 4 seconds before the adiabatically cooled, expanding air in the rocket begins to cool the crystal, and this is enough for the acceleration and “Fast Burnâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Phase Locked (Coherent) Doppler for Rocket Tracking   Posted on: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:35 pm
I will hold off a bit on describing the complications of adding telemetry and control to this “Coherentâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post TRL Level 7 - 8 - 9 (The Why of Suborbital Tests)   Posted on: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 pm
TRL level addresses the “Technical Readiness Levelâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post More Navigational Uses of RF Phase Shift   Posted on: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm
Before detailing other uses of “Phase Locked Dopplerâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:01 pm
I think your thread is my favorite.

Thanks for all the technical details! I learn a lot whenever I have time to really sift through this stuff.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Trying to Help   Posted on: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:38 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
I think your thread is my favorite.

Thanks for all the technical details! I learn a lot whenever I have time to really sift through this stuff.

Thank you! I really hope that by sharing what I have learned in decades of rocket work – and related development – that I will be able to help others push “entrepreneurialâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Control and Telemetry in a Phase Locked RF System (1)   Posted on: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 pm
Control and Telemetry in a Phase Locked RF System 1

Modulation forces a detectable modification on the transmitted Radio Frequency (RF) energy. Usable modifications retain the primary characteristics of the electromagnetic radiation (so that the signal can be coupled through available cables, handled by practical antennas, aimed, amplified and detected without unreasonable difficulty). With such modifications, the RF signal can carry information. The simplest – and still widely used – approach is to turn the RF signal off and on to communicate using an agreed upon code. This is called CW (Continuous Wave) communication because when the RF is on, its waveform is steady and continuous.

To integrate any modulation scheme into a “Dopplerâ€

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Moderator: rpspeck