Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Distributed computing..?

Distributed computing..?

Posted by: Electrolyte - Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 pm
 [ 22 posts ] 
Distributed computing..? 
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:18 am
Distributed computing is best when the same operation is done many many times, where radio is searched for patterns ala SETI@home or different protein creation steps are calculated ala Folding@home.

Distributed computing would only really help with complex singular calculations if the node machines were themselves supercomputers of neural networks.

Drool.

Computers will make life easier, but they don't provide will power.

They will however allow small design shops to compete with the big boys, so maybe.

Thanks for the links Sigurd.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:06 am
The Sony QRIO is a perfect example of Neural Networks todays technology in real time usage:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/technology/

Example movies:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/video ... QR1011.ram
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/video ... QR1010.ram
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/video ... -QR102.ram

The beginning of the robot age :)

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:51 pm
Electrolyte wrote:
It would be fascinating to actually design something like that on a large scale with a few terabytes, I wonder how closely the end result would mirror the actions of the human brain when it comes to problem solving.

Hrm.... If you managed to pull off something that had processing speed measured in exahertz with storage capacities approaching a google bits, it MIGHT be somewhere along the lines of a drunk monkey.

"...and it appears that the nationwide rolling blackouts started when UC Berkeley fired up its new Computerized-Human Intelligent Mainframe Project (CHIMP, for short)."

.....Talk about an electricity bill......

You need quantum computing before you can really do anything approaching human problem-solving capacity. And even then you still have to answer the question, "But is it really intelligent?"

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:59 pm
spacecowboy wrote:
Electrolyte wrote:
It would be fascinating to actually design something like that on a large scale with a few terabytes, I wonder how closely the end result would mirror the actions of the human brain when it comes to problem solving.

Hrm.... If you managed to pull off something that had processing speed measured in exahertz with storage capacities approaching a google bits, it MIGHT be somewhere along the lines of a drunk monkey.

"...and it appears that the nationwide rolling blackouts started when UC Berkeley fired up its new Computerized-Human Intelligent Mainframe Project (CHIMP, for short)."

.....Talk about an electricity bill......

You need quantum computing before you can really do anything approaching human problem-solving capacity. And even then you still have to answer the question, "But is it really intelligent?"

Well, quantum technology will be very fast.; etc. and the electricity usage won't go up relative to the speed, so I guess it won't be an electricity problem.

Well, keep in mind there will be no real human problem solving.. even if you create a real brain in neural networks (not proven that it is possible), then still it would need time to gain "experiance" and to learn as a real human does (experiance could be copied to others theoretical), but I think neural networks, is especially good (as shown in those movies in my last post), for premade tasks, they will be able to do a lot.. but I think they will never or not very soon.. be able to dream.. and only our dreams... can create new goals.. so we'll have to tell them what to research and what they may or can use to achieve it.
So I guess they will be our future slaves... our working force for the tasks we're too laizy to do :? ...

Also, you'll need not 1 cpu in quantum speed to get a human brain, but every neural in our brain is working on quantum speed relative to 1 quantum cpu... (and we don't know yet how optimized our brains are ;) nothing to compare with ;))

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:18 pm
very interesting stuff there sigurd... the qrio is a pretty interesting example of where the future of robots can be expected to go with neural networking...

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55 am
What about distributed computing between probes and earthian computers? There seem to be tasks that probes can delay. If the delay can be hours why not doing the task on Earth and beam it back to the probes?

This way the SETI@home approach might be applied and the space internet recently reported about might be used.

What about it?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Ecvonomist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 pm
Because they need fast response time... a lag of 2-3 hours is bad, and could also be fatal for the mission

Profile ICQ