Community > Forum > Asian Space Activities > Australian Space Activities

Australian Space Activities

Posted by: kimTHEcorpse - Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 am
 [ 18 posts ] 
Australian Space Activities 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Australian Space Activities   Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 am
I don't know if anyone here is from aus but just wondering what people think about australia's involvement or....lack of involvement in space related activites. Althought we did become the 4th/5th nation to go into space, nothing has really materialised since then. Is it a case of neglect to the potential that space has or is it really the money aspect of space that inhibits such involvement?

btw does anyone know if australia does have any space related programs currently?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:07 pm
Am i right in thinking rockets used to go from Woomera? Was it the Blue Streak which used to use that area?

I think it was British though....

Here is an image

Maybe try this
http://www.aerospaceguide.net/worldspac ... space.html

Rob

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:34 pm
Yea bluestreak was the first rocket launch in australia in collaboration with britain in a program called ELDO--european launcher development program. after 6 years the government failed to invest anymore money in it and the program was ceased and australia's involvement in space has stopped.

the launch facility at woomera that the government provided were quite exceptional. its sort of like cape canaveral in the middle of no where.

Rocketplane Kistler were planning to launch their vechile fromt this launch pad.

The launch site now is abandoned and is only now used for government purposes to test military weapons and the likes. What bothers me is why they ceased the program in the first place and their lack of desire to be involved in space development. :?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:42 pm
Exceptional image!

I wonder how much of that space could be used for private flights!

There were rumours about Virgin going out there
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 10,00.html

Looking back it looks like Starchaser had some plans but i dont now what happened there?
http://spacefellowship.com/Forum/about2 ... ab45175cd9

Also there is some will for an Australian GLXP team
http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/forum- ... php?t=1650

Not too sure about Government plans though!

;)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:57 pm
Cool! you reckon they'll accpet a 17yr to their team? :D

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:00 pm
Always worth a try :)

You could always try and offer some free help if a team starts out somewhere! I am sure they wouldnt turn you away if they need the help.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
Always worth a try :)

You could always try and offer some free help if a team starts out somewhere! I am sure they wouldnt turn you away if they need the help.

lucky the guy who wanted to start the project was in melbourne. if it was anywhere else my realisations would have sunk to a new time low =]

btw can i interest you in head of propulsion? high salaries and job security offered :lol:

Last edited by kimTHEcorpse on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:15 pm
haha good luck!
Let us know if they get back to you!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 pm
Will do.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm
kimTHEcorpse wrote:
What bothers me is why they ceased the program in the first place and their lack of desire to be involved in space development. :?

You should read "A Vertical Empire" by Nick Hill (no relation) he chronicles the events leading up to the UK's cancellation of Blue Streak in it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Empire ... 953&sr=1-1

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 pm
As far as I know the german Tales Institut has in mind to launch its rockets from Woomera - it's one of two alternative launch sites they have in mind.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
haha good luck!
Let us know if they get back to you!

someone that read my post got back to me but they lived in sydney so might be impossible but its still possible we can get a team together if we can get more on board. i still havent heart back from the original poster...i hope he really does reply back.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Australian Space Activities   Posted on: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:57 am
Okay mate,

Here is my opinion about Australia and our involvement in space. This comes from around 15 years involvement with various proposals, and projects looking to develop an Australian space transportation capability.

a/ The government has nobody with any expertise, awareness of the very real benefits that spin off into local industry from space launch know how. In their very small and narrow minds the only thing they see is a big waste of money blasting off into to space for no real reason, and never ending source of legislative amendments they have to action so you can launch it. Why would they do all of this when they can just give out another mining permit to a foreign company to blast another hole in the ground and extract a few billion dollars worth minerals, and pay us some more tax and hire a few hundred people. As long as they look after the good old Aussie battler on the farm, and seem to have somehow kept mortgage interest rates low. Then they look like they are doing their job and should get reelected come next election.

b/ Local scientist don't even see the benefit of space- I have met numerous very senior science consultants and even the former head of Australian Space Office, who have flat out told me they believe space "is a waste of money". One lady I met was head of science education in South Australia, and she had same opinion also. When I had occasion to met Barry Jones the former Minster for science & former quiz show "genius", I told him about my current proposal to develop an indigenous space transportation service. He told me he believed that such a thing was too expensive and not in the national interest, and also asked me why should we develop our own if we can simply buy launch services from the US or European operators.

c/ The Australian public as a general couldnt give 2 hoots about anything except drinking a keg of beer on weekend, and watching the footy. And are so complacent regarding technology advancement as to be almost in a coma. There is no national pride here that demands we take a lead in these matters, and that my friend is the key difference between Australia and other nations that seek development of space launch. They want to be recognized as world quality technologically developed countries, unlike Australia where we think having more than 2 Asian manufactured PC's in your house and an imported plasma TV makes you "with it". In fact the Government here is so dumb as to have recently sent billions of dollars of tax money, back to the public to spend on more imported goods such as plasma TV's?? In so called "economic stimulus package", how about a national technology industry investment package?. So we can keep our tax dollars here, and create jobs whilst we foster technological know how?.

d/ Every single proposal for establishment of launch ranges on the continent of Australia never gets approved, due to either the incessant environmental groups who through complete ignorance associate modern rocketry with mass pollution. And the local indigenous groups who the government normally ignores when it comes to digging another mine hole in the ground, but somehow seem to miraculously agree with when launch pad is proposed. Several proposals including Hammock Hill island, Cape York Space Port and others at Mt Isa and Christmas Island, have all been savaged by the combined efforts of our ignorant government and un-educated special interest groups.

c/ We have a rocket range (Woomera) but nobody will ever get to use except for Defense Research, who apply the same kind of mentality that the UK establishment used to in the 50-60's. And that is "WE ARE THE ONLY REAL ROCKET SCIENTIST IN THIS COUNTRY, AND YOU ARE AN AMATEUR WHO IS GOING TO KILL SOMEONE". You would be surprised at the extent they have gone to squash propulsion research at Universities, especially if it might compete for funding with the scramjet program. You cant even get approval to fly a model rocket there without more than AUD$100m liability (why when there is nothing out there but sand and rocks & antiquated equipment?) , and I know people who have been waiting more than 4 years to get launch to 3000meters altitude approved.

In 93 the Australian Space Office (ASO) a department setup and funded by the government, at the urging of a company called Australian Launch Vehicles put out request spacecraft proposals to science community. The plan put forward was that the government would consider funding ALV's first 2 launches and spacecraft to the toal of around AUD$70m, if sufficient demand was evident. They received over 32 well defined proposals from Australian companies, universities and also foreign countries looking to co-operate. They still refused to fund the program citing ALV's lack of ability to win an Iridium launch contract?.

So in a nut shell I predict there will never be an Australian space launch vehicle and or service unless it is completely self-funded and dosent require establishment of any ground/ pad infrastructure. Its good to know there is some young people out here who have the dream though, put I suggest if you want to get involved in this field you head to the US.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Australian Space Activities   Posted on: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:26 pm
Reading that I must admit that it's sad to see that the Australian Government doesn't give a rats about space activities when infact it will be a major component of major economies in the not too distant future.

At 17 it's hard to change the world with my worlds, therefore I've planned a meticulous pathway towards that goal in the hope that I would establish greater interest not only in AUstralia but also the world's population. Space is where i see our future heading, and I want to be a part of it. It is hard for one person to change the world, but i will keep trying nonetheless.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Australian Space Activities   Posted on: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:32 pm
Quote:
So in a nut shell I predict there will never be an Australian space launch vehicle and or service unless it is completely self-funded and dosent require establishment of any ground/ pad infrastructure.

So Rockoons and Sea Luanch are the only options available, unless they can build a spaceplane?