Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Ways to Raise Capital for a Private Space Company

Ways to Raise Capital for a Private Space Company

Posted by: idiom - Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 pm
 [ 26 posts ] 
Ways to Raise Capital for a Private Space Company 
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 pm
Well I have personally found a bunch of ways that don't work.

Historically the most successful way is to contact your bank manager and raid your own billion dollar account :)

I am trying out some new ideas I thought up, I will let you know how they go.

Profile ICQ YIM
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 am
Working on it is a nice way to put it.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 pm
hate to break it to you but the best way to raise money would be go into finance... or have a really successful startup.

if you're not the angel investor yourself, you'd better have some awfully good friends with a lot of money. or be named burt rutan.

alternatively, there's the JPA style volunteer group with low operating costs.

addition: maybe i shouldn't talk, but we saw it in the x-prize. the only team with good funding was scaled. even armadillo, with JC's resources behind it, couldn't get enough capital to seriously compete on their time scale. ARCA and some others did good things and actually tested hardware, but i don't know where their money came from. they still had too many problems to actually fly a vehicle, and we have what? one update in the last year? maybe someone will come out and surprise us but the writing on the wall is pretty clear.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 am
PM me any time, or better yet, drop by the chat room.

Having large amounts of cash that you directly control is the easiest way forward, as SpaceX and Bigelow have demonstrated.

Friends with money can get you so far as Scaled showed, but friends with money are looking for a long term business plan like Virgin Galactic.

However, it is also possible to build to spec, like Lockheed, but the ability to make a profit goes down as the risk balloons.

I know that Americas Cup teams, among others, manage to draw 9 figure Sponsorships for something Highly speculative, so I think that shows that the perception of a rouge space team is still way worse than that of throwing money at a team of sailors with no New Zealanders onboard.

Also, I think that there is a strong possibility, that if done correctly, rovers on the moon could generate media rights worth a lot more than the Google X Prize money. We have already seen teams drop out over the draconian media control the The Xprize Foundation has put in place.

Also, keep in mind that Armadillo is now operating in the black. They are not making a return yet AFAIK, but they are self sustaining. So you can hit profitability in only seven figures.

Also I have ludicriously wealthy friends how can't even trust the bond market anymore. I will invite them to invest later, but not until I have some serious working tech to show for myself.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:17 pm
my only question to you is if it's so easy to raise money, why isn't JPA flying to orbit yet?

it's not cause they lack the technology or engineering approach.

though to be fair i wouldn't be surprised if they've received offers of sponsorship that had terms unacceptable to them.

i think mainstream investors are waiting for a market, rather than anything else. once someone starts making a lot of money the cash will start pouring in.

that being said, i'd like nothing better than starting/joining a nascent space team and doing it all from scratch (or well, preferably more than scratch, but not an established company that's flying).

Software Developer

Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:18 pm
JPA is also running in the black already. They are working slowly and steadily and slowly, towards a goal. When they reach it, they will have zero debt and full ownership of their company.

Also their ideas have to come across as kookier than most. The less traditional you are, the harder funds are going to be to come by.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:03 pm
JPA is only running in the black (to my understanding) because they don't have anyone wealthy enough to throw down a lot of money to put their program over the top. Instead they're going about it the hard way - climbing one step at a time.

But yes I want to work for a new or relatively new private space firm. I'm working for Loral right now, after I graduate in 1.5 years I'm going to apply to SpaceX and Bigelow, as well as having the option of staying at Loral and volunteering with JPA. However, ideally I would like to be in a startup or soon after startup team. I might also join the financial industry and try for the self-financing method.

Software Developer

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Startup   Posted on: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:55 am
Someone had mentioned actually making some hardware before requesting funds. I think that is the way to go. I am working on a start up as well but we will not seek any type of outside funding until we have some harware. SpaceFellowship has many links to companies that had large dreams and designs but nothing to prove themselves. I want to work out most of my hardware. I plan to have the engines up and running, the electronics working, and flight structure together first. With the new amatuer rules we can even do some flight testing.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 pm
Samuel wrote:
I'll have a start up by then if you're interested.

i may take you up on that. what is your goal/basic concept for attacking it? (pm if you don't want to publicize...)

Software Developer

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 pm
count me in, although australia is a fair bit a way....

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Startup   Posted on: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:25 pm
mcneillt wrote:
Someone had mentioned actually making some hardware before requesting funds. I think that is the way to go.

Thomas, i guess the problem for a lot of people is they have big dreams and small wallets. It is a catch 22, needing the money to progress but also needing hardware to attract funding.

I look forward to seeing more of your organisation's progress in 09! :)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 pm
So if someone sets up a new private space company in the US, they can only hire US citizens right?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:00 am
The only way to start anything is to get off your keester and do it!There will be sacrifices some may be more than you are constitutionally able to handle be prepared for this. Timing will be everything if you don't have the money yourself. There must be a will to succeed and the more people you can help along the way all the better. A strong since of your position in life and faith in yourself and those around you. Above all you must be able to focus to a pinpoint and convey your message. Every mistake you make will make you stronger and smarter. Start NOW and don’t waver when your knee's get weak remember why you are doing this (It must not be for a selfish reason) and face your fear. Know you can not fail if you reach out for help. Know your a winner because your in action regardless of the outcome.

Monroe
Team Prometheus

Now get busy young patawan :) or your bantha fodder. Use the wavoes.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 am
Yes, master yoda. :lol:

I'm seriously thinking of starting up a tech. start up company and then after that start up my own space company. But the chances the company selling in the millions is quite little. :(

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 am
Thinking hummm how's that working for ya? Not to be mean but thinking is overrated- Do! Doing is underrated and really it's more fun than thinking. Of course doing take's time away from all the thinking that is really working good right? Limitations humm! sounds like thinking to me. The more you do the less limitations you have too! But then I always put limitations on the good things I can do in the world. --- or not! focus move with the force let it flow thru you! Practice doing something that will help you achieve your goal every day! Write it down if you have to, you will be extremely surprised if you do just 1 thing per day! For one week.
"Nothing worth doing is easy"
The difficult we can do right now the impossiable just takes a little longer! Fly to andromeda if you want to I belive you can. Reveal the gravaton and fly there dont limit yourself the world will do that for you. Give untill you can't and then you will learn to GIVE your all.

Monroe