Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > I met an actual 'Red' x.x

I met an actual 'Red' x.x

Posted by: idiom - Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:34 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
I met an actual 'Red' x.x 
Post I met an actual 'Red' x.x   Posted on: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:34 pm
For those not familiar with Kim Stanely Robinsons Mars Trilogy (among others) there is a new form of greens that get called Reds on Mars.
They basically want to keep everything Red and largely untouched.

Well yesterday I actually met someone who advocated leaving the Moon as it is now, as an international reserve of sorts. Not just precluding mining, but any future landings.

Apparently messing with the moon at all will deeply offend the universe or something.

Has any one else had similar experiences?

Last edited by idiom on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Luddite plonkers   Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:01 am
I was at a British Interplanetary Society annual conference in the early 1980s, and Martyn Fogg presented a paper on the terraforming of Mars. A member took advantage of the call for questions from the floor to lambast us all for even daring to discuss it. Apparently studying Mars while keeping it exactly as it is would 'ennoble our species', whereas spreading life throughout the universe would not.

Maybe we are talking about the same person. Is he a philosopher with an Italian-sounding name, initials E C ?