Community > Forum > Official JP Aerospace Forum > Materials used in the airships can have other uses as well

Materials used in the airships can have other uses as well

Posted by: Stefan Sigwarth - Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:00 pm
 [ 1 post ] 
Materials used in the airships can have other uses as well 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Materials used in the airships can have other uses as well   Posted on: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:00 pm
I might have put this in the big JPA thread, but since my question has a different point of view, i'm making this new thread.

I was asking myself. If the airship reaches such high altitudes the atmosphere is thin and it's pretty cold. If they want to go all the way, the material have to be space-resistant. -273,15 degrees celcius and be able to withstand the temperaturestresses that come with going through the atmosphere and have a very low gas permeability.

Now my question is, what kind of material do you use? Is this material only for testing purposes or can this also be used for the real deal? And how much do your ascenders weigh? And what's the price you pay for it?

I am asking this, because the material can ideally be used as one of the layers of an inflatable greenhouse material on Mars/Moon or even in space.

Moderator: jpowell