Copenhagen Suborbital

Posted by: TheFlyingkiwi - Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:56 pm
 [ 153 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Copenhagen Suborbital 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Copenhagen Suborbital   Posted on: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:56 pm
These guys came to light recently on one of my emailing lists.

http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/campaign.php

Looks like an interesting concept!!
I think you could count me out as the first participant!!!

Iain
------------------------------
http://kiwi2space.blogspot.com

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:52 am
Pretty straight forward concepts, traditional proven technology.

Varicose Veins of a 98 year old in under 98 seconds!

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:04 am
very interesting, shame i couldnt understand him in the interviews!... anyone translate?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 pm
The live thing under "Press"?

Not doing a word by word as I'm not Danish myself, and to Norwegians, Danish sounds like someone is trying to speak Norwegian with a potato in the mouth... :)

They've run the rocket engine without any issues/problems. It's using synthetic rubber and N2O as fuel @ 7200km/h max. He claims that the engine is environmentally friendly and safe, which is important when man rating a rocket.

The aim is to give the passenger a visual experience, which is why they've chosen a transparent dome. He tells us the capsule is about the size of two oil barrels stacked on top of each other.

"When you're good with submarines, you can also build spaceships" or something similar to that is his claim @ 1:47. There are people doubting him, so he finishes of with "we'll see who laughs in the end"

Think I've managed to capture most of the info - Danish people are allowed to correct me!

Profile ICQ
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 pm
edit: never mind ;)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:18 pm
Thanks for the lowdown! appreciated!

We had better keep an eye out for them! :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:48 pm
their corporate logo loogs like the tailbone tattoo of your average topless dancer.

the vehicle looks plenty scary. I'm not sure how many people would shell out the money for a ride.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:06 pm
The logo is clearly is inpired by the logos of danish kings and they have been known for their tatooes so maby there is a connection there :)

Take a look at the groups latest submersible UC3 Nautilus at youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwKGhlDnBI&NR=1
and dont count them out just jet.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:14 pm
nice little video!

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Praise or Damn   Posted on: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:31 am
I don't know if I want to praise them, or damn.

Con: I hate the standing almost upright position. One hidden medical problem and the pilot is out of the loop. And if I read it right, you need the pilot at the controls for the different stages.

Plus:
1) Pilot in the loop with simple valve controls really makes for a simple and rugged design. No 'spam in a can'.

2) Hybrids rarely fail once started.

3) Costs for repeat flights should be low if recovery costs can be kept down.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Please check my math.   Posted on: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:41 am
3G takeoffs, mean 2G goes into movement upwards.

D=1/2 * Accel * Time ^ 2 S=Accel * Time

D = 1/2 * 9.8 * 2 * 60 * 60 = 35280 meters at burn-out
S = 9.8 * 2 * 60 = 1176 meters per second at burn-out

Time to coast to zero = 120 seconds

D = 4.9 * 120 * 120 = 70560 meters

Total D = 105840 meters height if you have no friction losses.

I am impressed, simple but good results.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Latest news   Posted on: Sun May 03, 2009 7:51 pm
Hi I have translated the latest blogpost from CS (by Google translater)
yours Marius
--------------------------

By Kristian von Bengtson and Peter Madsen, Sunday 03 maj 2009 kl. May 2009 kl. 18:38 18:38
Dear readers ...

Let me summarize the status of our engine development and reveal a little of what we think you should expect from CS engine department in future.

On the 14. June, we do the test no. 2 of our little rocket - HATV. We are just now beginning to cast the fuel in it and service the parts that wears out when firing. The large tank of nitrous oxide did as it should and runs just the same - there are still a few actual bar N20 from last time in it - and in this way, we know it is still perfectly clean inside.

HATV rocket is based on a concept that was developed in summer 2006 - and has proved very reliable and scalable.

The fuel is epoxy and oydationmedium is nitrous oxide. Both can be stored for many years. It has many advantages in small rockets that you can fill them up and then have them standing ready for as long as it takes to get everything else in place. This was why we initially chose to focus on the strategy of two rocket sizes - one what could form a bridge from the ordinary amateur rockets, and a large one for the very demanding task of sending 200 kg into space.

Today we know that it was healthy strategy and we have had a series of 10 successful tests.I am also certan that on the 14 June we will have the very last details in place with HATV. Thus, development work on such HATV rocket motor is concluded. We can fly!

Unfortunately, we can not use exactly the same technology for the large rocket HEAT.

Nitrous oxide is too light - it has too low density - around 700 kg / m3 - and it requires a pressure of 40 -50 bar to store it. This means overall that a tank for N20 weighs very much in comparison with the amount it can contain.

HATV engine is a perfectly example - it weighs 195 kg refueled without payload (10 kg) and 130 kg are deadweight. If we are to really flying high, we must find a better oxydationsmediuml - which has a higher density and which can be stored under a pressure that is more optimally. That will say lower pressures. For every bar I raise the tank pressure the tank becomes heavier - and what I gain in ISP or exhaust speed is negligible. We do not use turbo-pumps, but use the simple aerosol method. That makes the optimal working pressure rather low.

We can in practice only use LOX or liquid oxygen. Dinitrogen tetroxide or 90% hydrogen peroxide - is expensive, or toxic or even explosive - and in any case not particularly pleasant to deal with the actual quantities. LOX is - in this context - the lesser of two evils. Other rocket projects may have a different optima - and that can easily make LOX a less optimal choice - but I have no doubts about our choice.

LOX is stored pressure neutral, but cooled down to -182 C. It evaporates slowly and keeps the tempraturen constant even if heat flows into the tank where it is stored. With a desity of 1130 kg/m3 it is almost twice as dense as Nitrous Oxide. We choose to let the pressure increase to 17 bar in the tank - we does this by closing for the evaporation - so the pressure rises slowly to what one might wish. At 17 bar a discharge valve opens and the pressure is constant until we launch. We expect to use 5 bar to atomise LOX at the top of the burn chamber - and then we have a residual working pressure of 12 bar to burn. It gives us a specific impulse of 236 s with paraffin as a fuel - in any case theoretically - and I expect in practice around 90% of this.

It is - I must add - crazy high numbers. Outside the atmosphere the ISP for this combination is 365 s - only hydrogen has a higher ISP in practice - and it gives us the lowest density of all - 86 kg / m3.

Twice as much oxydationmedium. pr. l tank - at half the pressure - wich makes LOX much more effective than nitrous oxide - although it will be a challenge to operate with in the field. My experience with this has been relatively good - LOX is not as hard to handle as it is rumored to be- it can in no way be compared with the hassle of handling of liquid hydrogen.

HEAT in the drawings are just now 64 cm in diameter and will fully loaded hold 950 kg LOX and 390 kg paraffin fuel. We expect to be able to keep the deadweight of the surrounding rocket shell just under 500 kg. In HATV the propellant is nearly 40% of the rocket, in the HEAT, we can thus reach an initial weight off approx. 73% of is propellant.

I will go further into the description of the HEAT in my next post - which I hope will coincide with us readying the first piece of it - namely the 96 kg heavy grafitblock to be used for its - for amateures - unbelievably large rocket nozzle.

Peter Madsen

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 am
Thanks for the update and translation Marius!

Iain

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm
Latest news from CS (translated with google as usual)
marius

---------
By Kristian von Bengtson and Peter Madsen, Sunday 17 maj 2009 kl. May 2009 kl. 20:20 20:20

I can say this very short: We build spaceships now!

The first items from the laser-cut man have arrived and the wrap stands ready beside the roller bench on which the ship will take form before it is carried to the drop test. The dome on the nose of the ship arrives from Holland in the near future, bought by a sponsor,.

It is called a 'boilerplate' ... that is a prototype designed to sit on the first HEAT rocket (with a dummy inside). Many changes has been made recently to the spaceship. Most of these changes have conserned optimization or simplification.

Production will be on full time until the drop test of the ship in late summer 2009. I have prepared a document describing our wishes and requirements for a drop test, which is now in the hands of the nice people who have shown interest in helping us with a lift from a helicopter.

The plan is to throw the ship over Danish waters from about 3 km altitude. Thus we have time to see the ship in free-fall, the orientation and in slowing from the drogue in 2 pin positions and the maximum deceleration from the 3 main parachutes until it hits the water.

The ship was christened Tycho Brahe ... First, in honor of the man himself, but also because it was Jens Martin Knudsen's desire to get a ship christened with just this name (though a mars-ship, but it is something).

Should any reading this and hold a human doll of 170 cm, whith moving parts, we would like to borrow it.

Kristian von Bengtson

Link:
http://translate.google.dk/translate?hl ... %26tl%3Dda

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun May 17, 2009 8:40 pm
Thanks for the update!!!

This is great news and it looks to be an exciting year ahead!

Rob

Profile WWW
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next