Community > Forum > All other competitions > impressed by ARCA

impressed by ARCA

Posted by: n54 - Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:04 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
impressed by ARCA 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post impressed by ARCA   Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:04 am
is anybody else impressed by them like me?

take a look at their website http://www.arcaspace.ro/en/home.htm if you're unfamiliar with them

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:39 am
Every time I go to a complex website with lots of pages, good pictures, good information, reasonable design AND they provide it in at least two languages ...

I find it a tad humbling.

... and they seem to be rising to the challenge too.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:50 pm
yeah they look good don't they. Not too many people seem to mention them though ive noticed! good to see them getting a mention anyway! will be sure to check their page again soon! want to see dome rockets soon from the teams so i can get an idea of the sizes of these things!

Profile WWW
Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post ARCA shows promise   Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:58 pm
Yes, ARCA shows promise. And that's what the X Prize facillitates--inspiring such efforts. I wish them luck and safe spacefaring. :D

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:31 pm
It's good, also, to see that none of the teams threw in the towel once Scaled announced they were in the race. ARCA has made some major progress, one way or another.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:31 pm
I like ARCA's team effort. They show what can be achieved with a relatively small nation's technology. They have built lots of hardware and their latest engine tests are going well. By the way Romania has an interesting rocket tradition. They show that you don't have to be from North America, or Russia to go to space.

A big problem is that their launch site is frozen during winter and they can't access it. Maybe they should check out Brazil's Alcantara site.

Another small team I like is De Leon's from Argentina. He's got lots less advancement but he has done things. You can't imagine how hard any aerospace research is in South America (save for Brazil of course), so I'm impressed he made a functioning space suit (maybe he'll sell it to ARCA so they don't have to rent G suits anymore, or maybe to Starchaser). I think De Leon and ARCA have some sort of connection. Maybe going back to the days of Argentina's late Condor missile program. I think Rommania (and Irak) was interested in that missile. (In Chile we were certainly interested! But not in a nice way)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:47 pm
george wrote:
A big problem is that their launch site is frozen during winter and they can't access it.

i don't think it's a problem more funding/a more prepared launch site and infrastructure wouldn't solve, after all romania is a south-eastern european country. baikonur in russia (kazakstan) is about at 45°37' N latitude, i don't know exactly where in romania ARCA's launch site is but romania itself is roughly between 43° and 48° N latitude (as a comparison the only permanent launch site in norway is at about 69° N latitude on a coastal island with the northern norwegian sea (part of the northern atlantic) washing against its cliffs)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:54 pm
n54 wrote:
george wrote:
A big problem is that their launch site is frozen during winter and they can't access it.

i don't think it's a problem more funding/a more prepared launch site and infrastructure wouldn't solve, after all romania is a south-eastern european country. baikonur in russia (kazakstan) is about at 45°37' N latitude, i don't know exactly where in romania ARCA's launch site is but romania itself is roughly between 43° and 48° N latitude (as a comparison the only permanent launch site in norway is at about 69° N latitude on a coastal island with the northern norwegian sea (part of the northern atlantic) washing against its cliffs)

They have reported problems because sometimes they actually can't get to their site because of mud and stuff, so it must be pretty rustic. I understand the site was a donation so I suppose it's good enough for a start up. As soon as they have actuall rockets in the air (and paying customers) thay can go shopping for beter real state. They have overcome bigger hurdles like coming up with a rocket company out of almost nothing (save for a lot of brainpower).

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:57 pm
pretty much what i said lol :D

it's in their archives at their site for those interested

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post i love them   Posted on: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:35 pm
ARCA is my favourite team. The first reason, a subjectiv one,because they are from Romania-my country.Second they are young and determined and most important, they work hard and with low budget.
If you know german, you can read here http://www.geo.de/GEO/wissenschaft_natur/technik/2004_03_GEO_x-prize/index.html?linkref=geode_suche&q=arca%20an%20article%20wrote%20by%20Wolfgang%20Bauer%20in%20GEo%20Magazine%20abut%20the%20Xprize%20teams,%20including%20ARCA.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:59 pm
I for one am not impressed with their website..it fails to load :lol:

Thank you

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:23 am
109Ace wrote:
I for one am not impressed with their website..it fails to load :lol:

Wich one? ARCA's website, or Geo's website?.
I can see both of them, and they load almost instantly. Maybe you have a bad connection :(.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:24 am
ARCA has some breaks on their page from my end and the layout seems to be a bit cramped. it might be the settings on my computer... but *shrug*...

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:45 am
In the german fore I formerly have spoken of I said that they are one of those few teams missing the advantages of a country having a relatively well performing economy with normal government debth and used to markets.

They are working under very difficult circumstances and i wish them to have at least one successful launch and no destruction of a vehicle.

They might be one of the important hopes of Romania. Even if they don't win the XPRIZE (they won't) another foundation, institution or federation should get them a prize for innovatorship, for being pioneers - for giving an example to others in getting the future. Such people are needed for Romania having a future - they are real entrepreneurs.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:20 pm
ARCA's website worked just fine for me; don't know any German so if anybody has a translation it would be great to post it.
I think they are one of the biggest surprise in the contest given the budget and the resources they are able to use. On 8th September they'll launch the Demonstrator2...I don't think they'll be able to compete with SS1 but who would have thought a small, underfunded team could do that?
It's encouraging for the human race to see that it's not all about money...passion, dedication and inteligence still drive us around.

GO ARCA!!