starchaser nova rocket

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:51 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
starchaser nova rocket 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post starchaser nova rocket   Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:51 pm
Hi,
why im in on a sunny day like this, dont ask! anyways to business. I heard recently that the first private rocket was fired into space sure u lot know more than i do! i also remember hearing that the starchaser nova rocket had the power to go to space with one astronaut. And they left more launches as they wanted to get on with the x-prize rocket yeah, so would there have not been a chance to remotely sent nova into space like this other rocket but earlier so that they could have got into the rocket books again? would have got some publicity, or even try and send someone in it to get there before rutan does. does it not have the equipment to do this?
rob
cheers boys

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:59 pm
I know what your thinking, I have been thinking this for some time and I might ask them about it. I do know however that they do face some problems if they were to do this. They would need to produce the engines required and load them onto it, not that quick and easy to do! The first launch was using solid fuel which would not get it into space. there is also the other problem that the civil aviation authority would not allow such a flight in Britain and so they would need to take all the equipment abroad.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:17 pm
yeah guess im seeing why they moved on now, the rocket was impressive when i saw it, prob best to leave it now with its little bit of history and move on! any news on them getting a permit in oz?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm
I know they formally applied for it some time ago but I don't think they've got the permit yet. As far as I can work out however, Woomera seemed to be entusiastic about the plan.

And yes it was VERY impressive!

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:28 pm
It would take a few weeks at least to transport everything to Woomera, and lock down fuel supplier, wouldn't it?

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:52 pm
I'm guessing that Starchaser would send much of the equipment ahead, way before the flight.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:49 pm
When I asked about x-prize launch dates at the beginning of the year the answer given implied it would take them more than a few weeks to shift kit and operations to Australia but the real factor governing the date was investment (then £2 million needed - hopefully now alot less). Since then looks like Starchaser have had a deliberate makeover and are gearing up to attract more investors and big sponsors.

I too have wondered about why NOVA or similar wasn't used for flight to space. Being first up may have got the all important publicity and investment.

Whatever happens with the next Scaled launch the publicty it will generate has got to be milked by all the serious entrants who still need funds

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:42 pm
Nova wasn't launched into space as Starchaser wanted to (and still do want to) concentrate on the big vehicle. An effort such as launching nova (as explained in my first post) would drain resources and not to mention money from the main effort.