Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > How smart do you have to be?

How smart do you have to be?

Posted by: Monroe - Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
How smart do you have to be? 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post How smart do you have to be?   Posted on: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 pm
I love all the wordy discussions about space, like it's still some special society for the mentally elite to discuss. I’m and old Hot Rodder I built fast cars in my garage trying to imitate my hero's. When you start building stuff in your garage to go into space we will get there. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist anymore in fact submarines are harder to build than spaceships. The problem is getting to the shore to jump in! Space-X made it to the shore and all I heard was a thud. No big deal it seems I think people have become cattle. I’m disappointed I don’t mind saying that nobody seems to give a darn we made it to the shore on our own for once and it meant nothing. Space people make lousy cheerleaders and even lousier Hot Rodders. The government seems to have all the brains around here they seem to have the masses just where they want them deaf dumb and blind.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:11 pm
you're wrong on this one, it's not the government with the best talent, it's the defense contractors. the government can't pay well enough to attract the best, that's why they contract. that being said spacex and bigelow probably do have the best talent in reality, just cause they're awesome. but there's very sensible reasons for not making a splash, in politics it's called expectations management. think sarah palin and the debate- no matter what she does, it can't be worse than people are expecting.

EDIT: spacex learned their lesson about this on flight 3.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:25 pm
Well, it wouldn’t be a first. I just can’t believe how little difference it seemed to make that space-X did it. And why it wasn’t plastered everywhere it was a huge event really. But no one seams to care in any substancual way im stumped. Something is wrong here (besides me) can you not feel it?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:28 am
Many people just don't care and most people care only about their own stuff, this world can be very indifferent. People = Not so developed ;)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:05 pm
Monroe wrote:
Well, it wouldn’t be a first. I just can’t believe how little difference it seemed to make that space-X did it. And why it wasn’t plastered everywhere it was a huge event really. But no one seams to care in any substancual way im stumped. Something is wrong here (besides me) can you not feel it?

Part of me shares your frustration that the world at large aren't even remotely interested in space travel.

Part of me thinks it's neat that the world at large dosen't see the significance of private space travel. For once, we know something they don't. I'm 23 years old and just finishing my university degree, I think I'll be right where I want to be in my life when companies start building industry on the moon.. If I'm lucky, I can be one of the pioneers in a new frontier for humankind. Isn't that awesome? Psst, don't tell the others! ;)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 pm
It is amazing how indiffrent people these days really are? I wouldent count on things changing in your lifetime. You are more than old enough to make a diffrence yourself! In fact one of our team members is younger than you! My fear is that you wont realize that dream. And a bigger fear is nobody cares. You cant wait if this is really your dream. Im glad to meet you however and wish you luck!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:52 pm
most people can't contribute substantially to the conversation about space, to be fair. it takes years of work to be able to understand the simplest components of a rocket or satellite. it doesn't matter if the general public is paying attention, as long as engineers and investors are. but of course, the more the general public pays attention, then more people are going to put in the work and more stuff will get done. that is and always has been one of our goals, as we started from the xprize community, and that was the main goal of the xprize, ultimately.

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 pm
It is good I agree the x-prize is working. But it is just too darn slow! We need a space revolution! A way to get people involved right now. If we could find a way to make it interesting to get people to be involved we could get somewhere. Like a Space reailty show? I dont know we need something new to get people really interested. More and diffrent contest? Help me out here?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:26 pm
Sadly, the world is more interested in what Paris Hilton is up to, or who is currently abusing who in the big brother house.

The world is getting dumber, being force fed crap like the above.

Just watch while places like China, India etc overtake, watching and laughing at the dumbed down westerners who can no longer engineer their way out of a paper bag.

I blame political correctness and the necessity of appealing to the lowest common denominator because of it.

James

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:42 pm
word. i'll agree with the political correctness thing. however i'll also conjecture that the technology for a real "revolution" is not quite there yet. but, carbon nanotubes and similar materials revolutions are very close and they will be more than enough. that being said a success by JPA would probably do the job too, since what they are doing is completely revolutionary.

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 pm
Yes
We have become the Romans and history is repeting it's self. The Chinese are going to kick our ass. We dont make anything anymore we think its better we get some other country to make it cheaper. Our people get lazy and watch stupid TV shows like Opra and that other guy and we teach our children that there is nothing to fear. There is something wrong with us and this is just scrathing the surface. When the first private spaceship goes into orbit and there isent any POP everybody still seems to have there head up there arse. I hope your right and im wrong really I do.