Last 3 LLC teams

Posted by: fatron - Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:17 am
 [ 47 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Last 3 LLC teams 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am
I've been following unreasonable rockets blog for quite some time now and I too find paul breeds achievements quite remarkable. The pace how he basically started from scratch again about a year ago is amazing, especially because it is only a father & son team.

Regarding your question about footage of other teams: TrueZer0 apparently is just right behind of unreasonable rocket regarding progress of their LLC vehicle.

You can find some pictures and videos on their webpage: http://www.truezer0.com/

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:34 pm
Still no update on the xprize llc page.

The web page says that one of the 3 mystery teams participated last year. Masten has publicly announced that they won't fly this year, and speedup has announced they're out for this year. That leaves Micro Space and Acuity as possibilities for the unknown teams.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 pm
It's my understanding we're past the date that "mystery teams" either need to let themselves be revealed, or are no longer in competition this year... and they haven't been officially revealed.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm
Looks like the 3 remaining teams are:

Acuity Technologies (Back from 2007)
www.acuitytx.com

High Expectations Rocketry
www.highexpectationsrocketry.com

Seraphim Works
??????????????

For some reason my PC I'm on at the moment will not load the LLC page, but I found these on hobbyspace, so have not scene the official page.

HER has a few pictures and video under media on their site, interesting looking vehicle they have I must say!

So thats ya competition guys!!!

Iain
----------------------------------------------
http://kiwi2space.blogspot.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 pm
I find it interesting that almost all of them have vehicles much lighter than what AA have. Of course, the mod wasn't designed for the LLC specifically, but Pixel was. Is it just that the others have a much lighter vehicle, with correspondingly less need for fuel, and so on, until they end up with a much smaller craft, or is there simply no way they're going to be flying for three minutes despite having signed up for level two?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 am
No way with peroxide monoprop.

It'd be great to see a competition for level 1, though. I filmed some of Unreasonable's tests, and it's a neat vehicle. If they can get it back together, and if TrueZer0 can get their stability code and hardware worked out, three different crafts flying the level 1 profile would be quite the sight.

I'm still hoping to figure out a good enough reason to convince my boss to let me go. :-)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:38 am
I just looked at High Expectations, I'd never heard of them before. THis worries me though:

"and can be stable in flight without active attitude control"

Either they mean that it's aerodynamically stable in one direction with enough velocity, or they've fallen prey to the inverted pendulum fallacy. In an LLC flight, it shouldn't ever go fast enough for aerodynamic stability to be an influence.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:24 pm
Control, control, you must learn control! :lol:

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:10 pm
Well, in fact no vehicle can be passively stable during entire flight envelope containig both powered takeoff and landing.

rgds
Sebastian

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 pm
Does anyone know which teams will actually fly this year for the LLC? I have been looking at the permit applications and I don't think the FAA updates their website often enough to be able to tell who has a permit to fly for the event. As far as I can tell there seems to be only three teams with hardware that could fly, if it were permited too This is bsed more on the updates I have seen here than anything else, and I am not sure two of them will be ready in 2 weeks, although they do get a A for effort.

Does anyone else have any other details? The LCC site is pretty skimpy on infomration and details.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:19 pm
Looks like they've officially moved the LLC to Lac Cruces International, and haven't moved the date. Good news for Armadillo, but I'm afraid no one else will be ready. Hopefully a few teams will have something they can fly.

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/leonarddavid/

Good news for Armadillo

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:31 pm
So no updates? Is everything on track for the 25th?

S

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 pm
Ben wrote:
I just looked at High Expectations, I'd never heard of them before. THis worries me though:

"and can be stable in flight without active attitude control"

Either they mean that it's aerodynamically stable in one direction with enough velocity, or they've fallen prey to the inverted pendulum fallacy. In an LLC flight, it shouldn't ever go fast enough for aerodynamic stability to be an influence.

Well, actually, what if their rocket contains a gyro or two to keep it pointing in the same direction? It would add weight, sure, but it might just work...

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 pm
But gyro is not passive stability... And then it only slows down attitude change, and it's not enough, unless you store in it (rotational) energy comparable to the energy stored in fuel.

Anyway, it's all to vague, we can only speculate what they (High Expectations) mean...

rgds
\Seb

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:25 pm
So it looks that TrueZer0 are going. But their vehicle has not been tested in 90s nor free flight. I wonder if they don't have to perform test flight before the contest -- stuff like qualification flight and flight for their FAA/AST permit / waiver. So it's still not clear if AA will (finally) have a competition...

rgds
\Seb

Profile WWW