Community > Forum > Official Micro-Space Forum > Astronauts Wanted

Astronauts Wanted

Posted by: rpspeck - Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm
 [ 26 posts ] 
Astronauts Wanted 
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:15 am
Hello, TerraMrs,

I don't think that the particular infrastructure you are talking about is required if the traveller is an adneturous person like those Richard Speck mentions.

I am used to row along a river for a week by row boats carrying five rowers each. We usual do several stops where no infrastructure exists - we don't need it because we carry the minimum required ressources and infrastructure with us.

Micro Space's concept remind me to this closely. Their lander can land on the Moon and return the adventurer to a capsule waiting in orbit. So he can go to each lunar place without more than a minimalist infrastruture he can carry himself.

Since we never can or will the Moon by an infrastructure entirely or significantly this really might be done in the future.

What about it?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:49 pm
i'm not talking about a one time thing, obviously someone could do that. but you can't really do anything if you're carrying your minimalist infrastructure and need to keep your weight low. i'm saying it sounds like this would be best employed as a one- or two- person transit from earth to x thing, where cost matters the most since you're just going from point a to point b. it makes sense to send people and supplies separately why combine a human rated vehicle with cargo space that just increases the cost vastly.

as to your argument about moon infrastructure, i can tell you one thing we WILL have on the moon that's significant- a telescope on the dark side!

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:34 pm
Bigelow's “Genesis 1â€

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:46 am
Selling or renting these modules is pretty much what Bigelow is planning to do. He might sell this prototype for a few million. And I am sure he will either sell you a fully functional space station of whatever size you like, or rent you space in one he has in orbit. That is his business plan as far as I know. It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than what it would cost you to build a docking adapter or airlock, reboost propulsion system, CO2 scrubber, O2 generator, and whatever else would be needed, and launch and install it in orbit yourself.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:10 am
Wow here's what I mean, check out this post http://spacelawprobe.blogspot.com/2006/ ... rides.html

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Real Spaceflight   Posted on: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:56 pm
We can have real spaceflight if we can get it out of the government only stage and what im looking at is the space Hotel! The space labratory and space manufacturing. There is alot of real estate up there! Even space farming.
Nasa pays way too much for space. Comercial companys could do it way cheaper! Can you imagin if Nasa ran the airlines?

Post    Posted on: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 pm
Hello, TerraMrs,

I was talking about covering the lunar surface by infrastructure to 100% literally. This never will happen - even on Earth we are far from that. Agriculturally used areas I don't call infrastructure and please think of Mountains and the Sahara.

So how to get and survive on lunar places not covered by infrastructure? In particular, if they are lots of km away from the next infrastructure? Those are the locations landers like Micro Space's one will be required allways for. This is the situation at present: no infrastructure.

This doesn't mean that I am talking about a one time thing. I remeber that Richard Speck said that he thinks of expending the lander but I remember also that he said too that the lander CAN be reused if refuelled.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:32 pm
Sign me up! :wink: Even though I'm only 14 at the moment :twisted:

How much would the needed life support be? Lithium Hydroxide filters should be reusable - just heat them and vent the CO2 - but what about Oxygen? Would it be possible to keep a tank of chlophyll to scrub CO2 and provide O2?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Lunar Mission Life Support   Posted on: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:06 am
No need for the complexities. A human averages only 640 grams of Oxygen use per day. This is the mass of 1/2 liter of Liquid Oxygen. Four Liters or LOX would support you for 8 days. Add somewhat more if you want (50% extra only adds 1.28 kg to the Return Vehicle mass - probably nothing to the lander).

Lithium Hydroxide can't actually be regenerated by heating. The Carbonate is converted with heating to the Oxide, which can be reacted with water to recreate the Hydroxide, but this is a bit complicated, has to get pretty hot, and has not been seriously considered. Other options (Like heavier Silver Hydroxide) have been thermally regenerated.

With a simple "Rebreather" you will need about 1 Kg per day, 8 kg for 8 days plus the 5 kg of LOX. This si a simple and reliable system, so it is a good idea and doesnt weigh much.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:43 pm
Terraformer
You already signed up the day you loged on here! Learn as much as you can! Don't let them tell you no make them prove it! Learn the laws and the rules and follow them, learn the scientific method and keep notes- Even little baking soda and viniger rocket's have value. Look at the human metabolisum and study it. Space is a vacuum find out everything you can about that. Radiation and micro-meteors. Read a lot and remember your not teaching yourself the guy's that wrote the books are your teachers. Dont worry about girls for a while like the other guy's will be smarter and know they will come around after you develop your mind. Have fun experimenting with things right Now. Be careful! Safety first! we need you.

Monroe
Team Prometheus

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:01 pm
I say results of about 40kg/day for a system over on NewMars. That was where I was asking about a small EtO (Earth to Orbit) Shuttle. It seems a two seater EtO craft could be an Ultralight.

A Calcium Carbonate<=>Calcium Oxide+Carbon Dioxide system could be regenerated quite easily. Maybe a Berriliyum Oxide system?

Moderator: rpspeck