Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > Presidential Candidate's NASA Policy?

Presidential Candidate's NASA Policy?

Posted by: Max CR - Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:23 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
Presidential Candidate's NASA Policy? 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Presidential Candidate's NASA Policy?   Posted on: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:23 am
I was curious as to who I should vote for to become president between Obama and McCain. Which one is going to best support the space program?

If anyone has sources that would be great.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:44 am
I think I posted a bit already in the NASA forum but it seems that at least Mr. Obamas intentions have changed:

In short: John McCain stated support for the space program without getting detailed or making any promises.

Barack Obama released a statement this week strongly supporting the US space program. Before that he wanted to cut it by 1/3, move Orion back to around 2020.

(Hillary Clinton only for record: She showed the most support for the space program, already initiated a law for a $1 billion increase for NASA's budget)

Barack Obama's statement this week (on NASA's 50th anniversary):
"Fifty years ago, President Eisenhower officially created the NASA space program, capturing the imagination of generations and inspiring Americans to think bigger, aim higher and believe in a greater tomorrow. When I was young, the astronauts would come to Hawaii after landing in the Pacific Ocean. I remember the incredible inspiration I felt from knowing that these men had gone where few had gone before them.

"In recent years, Washington has failed to give NASA a robust, balanced and adequately funded mission. Though the good people of NASA who work day in and day out on new frontiers are doing amazing things, Americans are no longer inspired as they once were. That's a failure of leadership.

"I believe we need to revitalize NASA's mission to maintain America's leadership, and recommit our nation to the space program, and as President I intend to do just that. We must revive the American ingenuity that led millions of children look to NASA astronauts and scientists as role models and enter the fields of math, engineering and science. Our leadership in the world depends on it."

John McCain's statement reads:

"Let us now embark upon this great journey into the stars to find whatever may await us."

John McCain

John McCain is a strong supporter of NASA and the space program. He is proud to have sponsored legislation authorizing funding consistent with the President's vision for the space program, which includes a return of astronauts to the Moon in preparation for a manned mission to Mars. He believes support for a continued US presence in space is of major importance to America's future innovation and security. He has also been a staunch advocate for ensuring that NASA funding is accompanied by proper management and oversight to ensure that the taxpayers receive the maximum return on their investment. John McCain believes curiosity and a drive to explore have always been quintessential American traits. This has been most evident in the space program, for which he will continue his strong support.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:56 am
To not mix up a personal note with the official statements I use a new post:

Last time I was optimistic that Republican Bush would support the space program. That seemed to become reality with the project Constellation and the return to the Moon. Sadly except his speech in 2004, President Bush completely lacked to show any further support for the space program, actually even preventing budget increases already passed by the Congress.

As someone not from the US, I'm more interested in matters like space or foreign affairs although it's clear that Americans will have to rate other, for them more important, things higher like social spending, education etc.

As Hillary Clinton showed by far the greatest space support which surprised me a lot as I had expected from her to cut the whole space program down to marginal funding. As she is out now I currently have no real favorite as both stay somewhat cautious about any promises for the space program.

It will be at least interesting to see if they take a stronger position for or against the space program during the hot phase.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:32 pm
Senator Obama and Space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvAVSNRni4

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:46 pm
I expect Obama would do whatever he thought gave him the greatest political advantage. his earlier policies show he has no personal conviction that space exploration is needed.

McCain I expect will be interested in so far as it keeps us ahead of other countries.

Mostly I just hope (futilely) that congress will give NASA the money it needs without changing priorities or making further demands that the money be spent in congressman so-and-sos state. changes like that are less than helpful.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm
You should not be making a decision on the basis of whether either one of the candidates support the space program.

Regardless of political creed, to do so would be narrow and a great disservice to democracy.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm
koxinga wrote:
You should not be making a decision on the basis of whether either one of the candidates support the space program.

Regardless of political creed, to do so would be narrow and a great disservice to democracy.

First off, great comment!

Secondly, I agree. You should not solicit input from others about who to vote for and do not limit your scope to a single objective.

Too many people in this country are more concerned about the right to vote, but forget the fact that the intention of that right is that you are somewhat educated enough to make a valid vote.

Voting was never intended to be a reaction to a 30second TV ad or based on a single line item on the budget. Voting is your contribution to our government and you really need to consider all subject matter. If you're not ready to vote, there's nothing wrong with abstaining.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:07 pm
But still...

If you have your 2 candidates, and you are not able to decide which one of them to support, even after looking at pros and cons, you have find something that makes you put one in front of the other. It's easier in countries like Norway, where you have more than 2 to chose from during elections

Profile ICQ