Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)

GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:21 pm
 [ 17 posts ] 
GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned) 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:21 pm
I have just been reading that someone has tried to start up a boycott of GLXP merchandise because they feel the GLXP is promoting DRUGS.

The website http://www.bunnyventures.com/ details how the GLXP logo is a magic mushroom.

Here are some snippets from the site:

[quote][i]Unfortunately, despite the importance of promoting a drugfree
culture, it appears that the Official MOON 2.0 Mission
T-shirt (Item: GLXP #173798) was designed to appeal to a
drug cult mentality relating to “magic mushroomsâ€

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:01 pm
I read the posts you linked to and either the guy is a complete idiot or its some kind of joke.

If he actually believes this then it proves the spirit of Joseph McCarthy lives on.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:08 pm
Yeah i thought it was a joke at first, but my god thats a lot of work to go to just for a joke! hes done pages and pages about it. it seems a little excessive, and not that funny!

It will be interesting to see if he is for real..... but if it is a joke, i wont be laughing when he lets everyone know.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:29 pm
I don't think it's a joke, I think he's a nutjob like gaetanomarano. The world is full of them.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 am
i laughed out loud at that post haha! (gaetanomarano mentioned straight away lol) poor guy ;)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:49 pm
With a name like Eurica Califorrniaa, he, surely, has to be taking the pi**.

Presumably, since he doesn't like the word 'paraphernalia' because of its drug reference (I use it all the time, and don't do drugs), and other words used in that context must also be outlawed. Syringe, den, lord, crack, bong.

Nutter of the first order....

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 am
An Open Letter to the NASA Office of Inspector General:

In December 2008, NASA announced the selection of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft to resupply the International Space Station (ISS) when the Space Shuttle retires in 2010. The $1.6 billion contract represents a minimum of 12 flights, with an option to order additional missions for a cumulative total contract value of up to $3.1 billion.

Here, concern is raised over the naming of the publicly funded Dragon Spacecraft and the willingness of SpaceX to maintain a drug-free environment. As a case in point, SpaceX CEO and CTO Elon Musk made a symbol of holding a marijuana cigarette with his hand and announced the following at the Google Zeitgeist Conference 2008: "Dragon was actually named after Puff the Magic Dragon, because so many people thought I was smoking weed to do this venture." ("Weed" is a slang term for marijuana.) Of additional concern is that the X PRIZE Foundation, of which Mr. Musk is a board member, appears to be using an image of a hallucinogenic mushroom, with the words "Join the Revolution," as a logo for the Google Lunar X PRIZE.

After Mr. Musk admitted to naming the Dragon Spacecraft with a hidden drug message in mind, an audience member suggested that the next spacecraft should be named "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." This is a cult reference to the drug LSD. This shows that the naming of the Dragon Spacecraft has already had a viral effect on the public. (Recall that during Apollo virally crazed youth spaced out on drugs to simulate space exploration through escapism.)

Video (@ 18:00 min. ff.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RlCVtQ6mA

Rather than just keeping the hidden meaning of "Dragon" to himself, Mr. Musk elected to popularize recognition for a drug message. Seeing the viral effect Mr. Musk's announcement had on the audience, public support for SpaceX should be suspended until a commitment to drug-free community standards is fully assured by the company.

Sincerely,

Mr. Eurica Califorrniaa
Easter Bunny(tm) Space Ventures
PO Box 791
Haleiwa, HI 96712
http://www.bunnyventures.com

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am
Who cares?

Profile ICQ
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm
cal wrote:
Seeing the viral effect Mr. Musk's announcement had on the audience, public support for SpaceX should be suspended until a commitment to drug-free community standards is fully assured by the company.

Sad. We're trying to conquer a new and dangerous frontier and you're still whining about this silliness. Grow up.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:21 pm
Does the naming of the Dragon have a hidden meaning - if so, its not very well hidden, since Elon Musk stated it was named after the song, Puff the Magic Dragon*, because of what people thought he was smoking when he came up with the idea.

I emphasis thought. There is no evidence to say that My Musk WAS smoking weed at the time he thought of the idea, or that any of his employees were smoking weed. Mr Musk was using a amusing anecdote to explain the naming of his Spacecraft. He doesn't appear to be promoting the use of drugs of any sort. The use of the phrase "what were you smoking when you thought of that" is extremely commonplace in all walks of life. It does not promote the use of drugs, or glorify the same. In fact, depending on the circumstances, exactly the opposite could be inferred.

It appears that the Dragon spacecraft was named Dragon as a JOKE. Nothing more sinister than that.

If people want to suggest otherwise, or see drug promotion/glorification where non is present, then I would suggest that they are the ones who attitude needs examining/adjusting, not Mr Musk.

*Puff the Magic dragon : The authors of the song have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use. So, it's not even a very good joke....

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:45 pm
JamesHughes wrote:
*Puff the Magic dragon : The authors of the song have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use. So, it's not even a very good joke....

Same with Lucy in the sky with diamonds - it's got nothing to do with LSD.

Conspiracies are everywhere!

Profile ICQ
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:26 pm
IrquiM wrote:
JamesHughes wrote:

Same with Lucy in the sky with diamonds - it's got nothing to do with LSD.

Conspiracies are everywhere!

I call shenanigans on both of those denials, I recommend not using them in your arguments.

PS can I get a reference for the "Dragon" thing? Cause that's hilariously awesome if true.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 pm
TerraMrs,

Mr. Musk's confession of his use of a drug-related reference in the naming of the NASA-funded Dragon spacecraft, which is manufactured by SpaceX, comes at approximatey 18:00 min. in the following YouTube video from the Google Zeitgeist Conference 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RlCVtQ6mA

It is sad to think that today's enthusiams of space exploration are going hand-in-hand in some circles with the memory of drug exploration that took place during the Apollo era. It can be seen from the video that when the audience was asked what the name of the next SpaceX spacecraft should be the name Bristol was received blandly by Mr. Musk and Dr. Peter Diamandis, founder of the X PRIZE, with Palin receiving a bit better response. However, when an audience member suggests "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" as the name for the next SpaceX spacecraft, which is a cult reference to the drug LSD, both Mr. Musk and Dr. Diamandis show heightened elation and nod their approval.

As described at my website, http://www.bunnyventures.com, the Moon 2.0 logo of the Google Lunar X PRIZE, sponsored by Google and the X PRIZE, appears to have the subliminal look of a drug mushroom, such as was popularized, along with LSD, during the space exploration of the Apollo era.

Apparently, there is a psychological connection being made between the escapism of space exploration and the escapism of drug use. I find it disastrous and completely unacceptable, however, to allow this unproductive connection to be made once again. I would ask concerned citizens, both corporate and private, to help break this connection by insisting on drug-free space exploration.

JamesHughes,

Perhaps you missed the following quotation above: "Rather than just keeping the hidden meaning of "Dragon" to himself, Mr. Musk elected to popularize recognition for a drug message." This makes the seriousness of the matter unequivocal.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 pm
Man.. and here I was thinking that the job of village tro *cough* ...elf! was already taken... :lol:

PS: where is your claimed website? putting a pdf online (that doesn't even load in Firefox) is _not_ a website.

PPS: Well probably you boycott Firefox, because it is another mysterious drug reference... :roll:

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Re: GLXP Drug Culture and T-Shirt Boycott (Armadillo Mentioned)   Posted on: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:59 pm
I call it a "White Paper Website". It saves me money because I can use another website to store stuff and only have to spend $10/yr. at GoDaddy.com for the convenient address. Then if later I decide to do an elaborate website, I can convert. Plus, it's just for people to read stuff. There's not a lot of frills.