Community > Forum > National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) > Increased NASA Budget

Increased NASA Budget

Posted by: Klaus Schmidt - Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Increased NASA Budget 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Increased NASA Budget   Posted on: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 pm
NASA gets an additional $2.9 billion in the next fiscal year despite President Bush's veto.

Quote:
The additional money will allow NASA to launch one more manned shuttle mission before the space shuttle program is shut down in 2010. Up to $1 billion in the NASA money also will be designated to help accelerate the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle and Ares I Crew Launch Vehicle, both of which will replace the aging shuttle by 2015.

Until Orion is completed, NASA will pay an estimated $2.8 billion to the Russian space agency for its assistance in getting NASA astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station (ISS).

http://www.dailytech.com/House+Defies+B ... e12138.htm

I wonder how the next US President will assess that 409-15 vote.

Last edited by Klaus Schmidt on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 pm
That is good for the space station but no help at all for the Moon. NASA will not be allowed to spend one penny of the extra money to speed up the Moon program. They can spend it on Orion only and not the LSAM or Ares V or anything specifically for going to the Moon.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:31 am
The two main problems with the moon program are in my eyes the totally lacking support from Bush's Administration. Besides his "launch" speech in 2004, Bush showed no support at all, on the contrary he denied NASA additional money already allotted by the Congress.

The second problem (again as all the decades before) is NASA's bias to studies. Yesterday they published another study: The Ares V now should incorporate 6 RS-68 engines and 5-and-a-half segment SRBs. (Anyone here remembering NASA's statement to use Shuttle components for the new program and therefore not starting a clean-sheet design?)

When I hear somewhere the two words "NASA" and "study" I run screamingly away. The did some zillion studies since the 80s about a Shuttle replacement craft and nothing got build. Now again they are running study after study on the Ares V instead selecting one design and developping the thing.

Profile WWW