Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > ARCA in the leading group?

ARCA in the leading group?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:58 am
 [ 9 posts ] 
ARCA in the leading group? 
Post ARCA in the leading group?   Posted on: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:58 am
As far as I remember Starchaser, Armadillo Aerospace and Canadian Arrow - perhaps - had to be considered to be the leading group. About others there were no or very few informations only.

May ARCA to be considered the fourth member of this group now and being before Canadian Arrow and Armadillo Aerospace? They have reveiled a new vehicle which is going to be tested soon and they had a successful Demonstrator-flight autumn 2004.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:02 am
I would say that ARCA are defiently ahead of Armadillo Aerospace, but I would think maybe they are on par or just ahead of Canadian Arrow, its a hards one but at the moment I would probably put ARCA ahead at the moment, as from what you said with a new vehicle and having a successfull Demonstrator test last year.

Be interesting to see the progress

Iain

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:46 am
How can you judge this though? If you are looking at flight experience and knowledge gained through testing then armadillo are right at the top, they have tested as much hardware as anyone else. However perhaps a leading group would be the group that are nearest to spacelfight, in that case ARCA are doing well, still too hard to guess a timeline of when teams will see the black sky though, remember starchaser are coming along nicely!

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat May 24, 2008 1:38 pm
Given tne news that they have announced a testflight of their Google Lunar XPRIZE-lander via their STABILO-vehicle - might they be leading in the lunar XPRIZE-competition?

Up to now nobody announced such a test. There must be ready hardware that can be launched.

And their reusable rocket must have been proceeded very far regarding development. They seem to have been very secret about it all.

So what about it?

If they are really that far it would be great for their country as well as for the EU and Europe.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 am
Yeah i have a lot of respect for ARCA, they have been keeping us up to date a lot this week, emailing us the slightest update.

I wonder, if Bogdan-ARCA is still logging in perhaps he may have some inside info ;)

Should be an exciting couple of months

Rob

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon May 26, 2008 10:21 pm
I'm still around...

Guys, we can't tell you too much. There are several reasons:

- many solutions are being tested. There are successes and failures. We can't post a blog all the time, it's not our way.
- inside information? Let me think... :roll: NO. We do want other teams to participate and I am personally very sorry that SCSG decided to quit. On the other hand, we worked a lot to find solutions for technical problems. These solutions are relatively easy to copy so... Forget it.
- don't expect us to be like other teams that write tons of messages, blogs, twitter or God knows what else. Expect us to work quietly and to come up with something when we have something to say.

However, if you look at our site, it's obvious that we have 2 directions of development: Stabilo and Haas-ELL. Put yourselves in our shoes. Stabilo is ready for the flight but Haas is not. Isn't it obvious that we should use Stabilo to test ELL in real flight conditions?

The next few months won't be exciting for us. It will be about work, stress, resource issues, plans, tests, possible failures, new plans, etc. We are a small team. We don't have multinational giants behind us. There are some teams that do. But, we will go to space and it will be real. It won't be "five to beam up" and within a few moments you are on board Enterprise...

That's all for now.

Bogdan-ARCA

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue May 27, 2008 6:12 am
Thanks Bogdan!

Look forward to seeing you guys in space!

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu May 29, 2008 5:44 pm
To use Stabilo for test flights might have positive marketing effects for them - it would show that the suborbital Stabilo can be used to flight test space hardware and attract customers who thenwould increase their funds...

Post    Posted on: Fri May 29, 2009 6:58 pm
According to the article "Romania Targets Moon with Balloon-Launched Ball" ( www.space.com/businesstechnology/090527 ... -arca.html ) they now have the experience, know-how, connections and help required.

The article really sounds to me as if they are ahead of all the others.

The only thing unclear to me is if their landing sphere wil move on te Moon - as required.

What abut it?