Community > Forum > Official Micro-Space Forum > Astronauts Wanted

Astronauts Wanted

Posted by: rpspeck - Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm
 [ 26 posts ] 
Astronauts Wanted 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Astronauts Wanted   Posted on: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm
Micro-Space is in negotiations with Investment Groups for funding of our efforts to develop and operate “Ultralightâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:41 am
There are a lot of "mad" ones who would fly without thinking. As far as I remember that was one of the reasons NASA selected only military test pilots for their early space projects.

I think even highly qualified people would be interested. How many people are taking risks just for "the kick". Besides that, going into space is somewhat like crossing the frontier.

Imagine the views you can have. Something interesting as well: German Astronaut Ulrich Walter talked about his space flight in one of his lectures as being in space (micro-gravity) is like feeling completely free. Your whole body, especially your back is totally relaxed, a big weight you normally carry on Earth removed.

That must be quite impressive as one is accustomed to the normal loads on your body.

Flying to the Mars will clearly need an additional perspective as the total flight time is increased to years. What about psychological effects like social behaviour, group dynamics, the handling (psychologically) of severe injuries or even death?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:55 am
I would be interested in a one-way trip to Mars if it would have the capability of growing your own food.

But the weight (and seeds) to do that is too much for a leightweight mission. It would require at least a pressurized 'greenhouse' with a 400 square meters surface which would require at least 120 cubic meters of growing medium aka dirt. But that's a complete other discussion.

Imo, a two-way trip for testing purposes (at least, that's how i see this) is a bit overkill. But still, the money will remain the biggest problem/enemy. There aren't many billionaires out there who are willing to potentially killing themselves when they have everything they ever wanted here on Earth. They won't take the risk. And those who want to take the risk can't afford it. And when they can afford it, they will fall automatically in the first category.

I'm not certain anymore if the lifeboat you propose is a mere pressurized balloon of sorts, or something a bit more roomy, but i think it's somehow better to do the first trip with mice. I know it won't get the mass-attention you'll get for a human mission, but i don't think the FAA will give this a go ahead (or don't they have a say in what's in the cargo?). And if it goes wrong, and you have to admit those odds are pretty high, that's the end of the road for the/this dream.

It's a dilemma i guess. Take the risk and loose everything (inlcuding setting back the commercial/private human missions into space) or win everything and open up the boundaries for a lot of people.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 pm
I'm definitely not qualified at the moment, but I'm interested in the opportunity here. At first I was very skeptical, but I have grown more and more attached to this idea as I peruse this website on a regular basis.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Astronauts   Posted on: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 am
I wouldent exclude anyone as an astronaut. That's whats wrong with spaceflight! The first settlers here in america! think about it. Columbus how did it happen? It will be the same with space.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Anyone CAN go, but who has the PASSION?   Posted on: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm
If you read my postings you will see that I DONâ€

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Astronaut   Posted on: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:34 pm
Hey, Check this out! Thay thought the world was flat remember? Sailing off the edge of the earth! with no spacesuit for that matter? The sailing ships of that time were spaceships! Space will prove out to be less challenging than we all think. We dont have the right perspective yet is all someday children will take for granted how scary it is for us!!!!! Just like we do for columbus's day. can you imagine a world with no planes, no satilites, no cars even??? No you cant even if you wanted to! It's not that hard or scary you just have to do it! I mean heck we've only lost 3 astronauts! I wonder how many died exploring the Ocean??? I their day only country's could build ships capable of crossing the ocean! This has all been done before. Our egos are in the way and cowardness.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Astronaut   Posted on: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 am
Monroe wrote:
I mean heck we've only lost 3 astronauts!

I assume you are referring to the Apollo 1 accident and are not counting the two shuttle tragedies which account for 14 people or the Russian cosmonaut loses like the 3 in Soyuz 11(that we know about). This would take the total to over 20.

I dont know how many people have died in related maunfacturing and testing activities associated with human space flight (such as scaled composites) so the toll is probably much higher.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 am
My bad I saw the astronauts land on the moon and I forgot the shuttle missions I dont know why? It was a big deal for so long that only the apollo mission accident killed anyone (directly). My point was to make a spark to ignight some people to get busy! And in my desperation to get a younger genaration going I made a mistake. And I'll make another one here in a min. if you hang around to long. So now that thats said. You missed my point entirely!

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 pm
If you want to use the analogy of ships exploring a possible flat ocean then you need to remember that it took hundreds of years for ships to get to a point where they were reliable and strong enough to make the journeys required. The same sort of development hasn't happened in space yet and we are still using basically the same craft that we did in the 60s.

Also we do not live under the same conditions as columbus and there are many more things to be considered. Life was much cheaper then, do you honestly think that columbus's crew went of there own free will for the adventure I would guess most were press-ganged into service.

Egos and cowardness has nothing to do with anything, its more about money and having a good enough craft.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:52 pm
Well, you can look at it like that if you want! I say it's time to force the issue! That's why im the Team Rep. for N-Prize Team Prometheus and we are trying to do somthing about it right now! I'm looking for men and women that are explorers that will risk what little thay have to spare, real blood sweat and tears. We can talk about it all day or we can do it! Join our team or any team for that matter! There's Sugar Shot 2 Space Im sure thay could use some help there! and be a part of the real thing, that's our thing. There's too much talk and not enough action on this level! You have to get your hands dirty and your mind busy building the dreams to make them real! Look to make an omlett you gotta break some eggs right! I'm not aganst you, I need you, we need you! and people like you. There arnt enough of us that arent afraid to do what has to be done. I'm sure your an nice guy and all but are you willing? or is it just ego boosting to talk about it???and that goes for you too!!!??Reader! Do you want to ride on the backs of our dead heros or stand for them????Dont tell me you think thay wouldent want us to TRY? or maybe actually DO somthing becase of their example. In fact here's how bad it IS you can join my team for FREE nothing except visit the N-Prize site and send me an email monroe_lee2000@yahoo.com. It would be nice if you signed up on our N-Prize google group but you dont have to. But maybe im wrong like I was before, maybe you are doing somthing in that case I have imbarrased myself and my team alittle, we will get through it. And so will you. With a firm handshake

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:39 pm
Andy Hill wrote:
If you want to use the analogy of ships exploring a possible flat ocean then you need to remember that it took hundreds of years for ships to get to a point where they were reliable and strong enough to make the journeys required. The same sort of development hasn't happened in space yet and we are still using basically the same craft that we did in the 60s.

... Life was much cheaper then ...

Life and DEATH were cheaper then, for the adventurous. My friend Vince spent tens of thousands of dollars, venturing twice on Mount Everest and other peaks, before he died – last month – on the East Face of the Matterhorn. People willing to raise and spend money, to plan yet face risks, still exist.

RE “Ocean Crossingsâ€

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:24 pm
OK at the risk of anyone else jumping on me for not going out and building my own rocket right this instance without the faintest idea of what I have or havent done in the past with regard to the space community or my personal circumstances for that matter, I will try to explain my point of view on this.

From a personal point of view I see nothing egotistical about wanting to talk about space, its something I like doing and dont get the chance to do at home because quite frankly it bores my family to death. Now while I am not an aerospace engineer, I have worked on a lot of different projects some of them space related and it is possible that from time to time I might have an idea that could be of possible interest to others.

As far as transport systems go, while I concede that it might be possible to reach orbit or maybe further with an ultra-light weight system, I am not convinced that this is the best way of doing it. I also concede that there are people who would make such a trip, whether you would call such people brave or foolhardy is debatable. It matters little, I would still be cheering them on to succeed either way.

I also think the Hugely expensive and wasteful way that NASA and others use is wrong and there must be a middle way somewhere that is better than both. Perhaps I am out of step with most people but I think probably not, sorry for being too much like everyone else. Perhaps if companies were to try to cater for mr average rather than those living on the edge or with bulging wallets then space would appeal to a wider audience.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm
i'll go to space, as long as there's something to do once i get up there. it seems that for an ultralight concept to work there has to be an already existing infrastructure wherever you're going for it to be worthwhile. eg, moonbase, marsbase, or even just a space station. i'd love to be able to hop in a 1 man rocket and head to one of bigelow's stations to do some zero-g research or put together a plan for manufacturing x thing in the space environment, but there's no point in going up without a goal, unless you're one of those rich adventurers, and then something's gotta follow it up and make it more than a one time stunt.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 am
Andy

I agree we need a space station! and I dont see Nasa letting us use there's any time soon! I am aranging a Stunt hopfully to get to another one that makes more sense. Money I dont have thats why we need alot of people, in fact I belive we need everybody interested in space to get involved. My methods are course and rough at this time yes. We need a Nasa for the people to employ the people that want to go there. You are so right and I agree with you. I really want to hear more of your Ideas but we need to ban together to make it happen. Tell me what im doing wrong and help me get things done today! Join my team! Cheerleaders need to learn how to play the game these day's. We are trying to do the same thing, I just want to organise us so we can do some of this. If we do this you will remember this conversation and I wonder what you will think about it then? Im just afraid that if we dont get together we wont have any say in who goes into space. Im risking everything I have to get your attension. I just hope its not wasted, I belive in you your our only hope and thats the Honest truth.

Moderator: rpspeck