Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Questions on career path

Questions on career path

Posted by: Techno311 - Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:29 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Questions on career path 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Questions on career path   Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:29 am
A post was made earlier by another member on some advice for a career in the space industry.
http://spacefellowship.com/Forum/viewto ... highlight=

I had a few further questions if anyone could answer them.

1. Is there a specific coding to learn for Robotics?

2. Are there any hobbies I can take up besides rocket clubs that will benefit me in the space industry? (I'll be working a garden as well in my spare time soon)

3. I have a variety of CAD programs under my belt. Is there anything else I should be aware of that I could learn?

4. If I want to be an Astronaut (whether NASA or private), what would be some objectives I should undertake?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:25 am
1 and 3: Programs like MATLAB are often used for cybernetics, so getting familiar with that helps you I would say (but requires some math knowledge)

2: Reading a lot is (almost) always good. There are some nice books out there (publishers e.g. Springer-Praxis, AIAA). You can find a few under the Amazon links at the bottom of each forum page. If you have specific questions to some books, feel free to ask, I own or read the most of them.

4: I would suggest staying fit (have I ever mentioned I like heavy-lift launchers? *g*). Another positive thing is clearly speaking another language (French, Russian, Japanese I would recommend)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post thanks   Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:41 pm
1 and 3: thanks, I'm preparing to get a demo of the program now. I hope the tutorial is pretty straightforward.

2. I've been checking out some of these books, hoping to get them soon (first i have a few books that I have in queue).

4. Physical fitness is currently no problem, but I am wondering if I should take a look at mandarin Chinese since they've been pretty vocal with their space program lately. I am also wondering how important French is other than being an official language of the UN. Is it what they mostly speak at the ESA, CERN, and other European science centers?

Thanks a lot for the information!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 am
I'm not sure how far the Chinese will open their space program to the world. Personally, I think I would go for Russian (and refreshing my French *g*). I once tried to learn Russian without a teacher but I found it quite difficult because you have to learn the kyrillic writing as well (the language itself is not that difficult).

About French: The most common languages in the ESA are French and English. France and Italy since a few years are the driving forces in European space matters.

Arianespace uses the French language. The Kourou launch complex is owned by France and operated by the French CNES space agency. Additionally (I already wrote that in several other posts), the French are quite national/patriotic so to say. They want to do more but are often hindered by ESA / European matters, so I wouldn't be surprised if they in future go for their own national space program (in cooperation with Russia).

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 pm
1. DAQ stuff would be good to know, used in rocket and structure testing. LabVIEW, the principles behind the operation of the devices, that sort of thing

2. Don't just do model or high power rocketry, that doesn't show much beyond just having an interest. Design, build, and test something.

3. What CAD? If it's not the software your employer will be using, it isn't much use. Solidworks or Pro-E experience is more useful than AutoCAD.

4. If you want to be a Nasa astronaut, be perfect and get good at kissing ass. If you want to be a private astronaut, either become a Nasa astronaut and retire, or get test pilot experience.