Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Questions about aerospace engineering programs

Questions about aerospace engineering programs

Posted by: airbornespacegirl - Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:38 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
Questions about aerospace engineering programs 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Questions about aerospace engineering programs   Posted on: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:38 pm
Hi. I'm a high school senior and I am going to have to make a college decision soon.

I'm considering Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, University of Illinois-Urbana, and Missouri University of Science and Technology (formally UMR) for aerospace engineering (more interested in astro side of AE).

I was wondering if anyone who knows about one or more of these universities could give me their TRUE opinion of their AE program. (and please explain how you know of the university and where you are employed)

I've visited all three colleges twice and have thoroughly researched the universities and have looked through numerous statistics. However, I would just like to get a better feel for the reputation of these three universities in the aerospace industry.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:56 pm
I've never heard of the Missouri school but I know people at Embry-Riddle and UI and both programs are excellent. Either is a good choice, you should definitely make your decision on which school is a better fit for you rather than reputation alone, they are close enough in that that it should not be an issue, and very different otherwise. I'm studying applied physics at Cornell (sophomore), and I've gotta say if you think the programs at both schools sound good, you shouldn't choose on reputation. If you don't like living there it doesn't matter how your employer will view your degree.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:07 am
Thanks for the insight. I'm basically having a hard time figuring out Embry-Riddle completely. The school's program seemed to be great when I visited; however, I live in Illinois and no one around here has heard of it (due to the fact that there's really no aerospace companies or aero engineers around here). On the other hand, everyone can tell you how great U of I is for engineering. The only things I know about ERAU has come from the school directly and they do a good job at "selling" (besides the no 1. ranking in AE in schools w/o a PHD of course)

Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:28 am
You could always try a Russian university.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 am
Just last week we were helping another high school student about pursuing a career in the aerospace industry. I live and work in California for an aerospace company. I had never heard of Embry-Riddle until '05 when a co-worker of mine at Lockheed Martin Space Systems (Sunnyvale, CA) mentioned it to me that he graduated from Embry-Riddle in Florida. I tell ou what I told the other high school student. Pick the school where you would most enjoy living for 4+ years. The schools you have chosen are both strong engineering I have no doubt. Though ERAU may brag about being number #1 my alma mater (Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA) can give then a run for their money.

Last edited by Rocket Scientist on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:25 pm
For a different look at the culture, ERAU and UIUC both have chapters of Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, which you might be interested in. UMR doesn't.

I know people from all three schools, and haven't heard any big complaints. UIUC is the only one I've visited, though.

I went to Iowa State, which also has a decent aerospace program.