Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Selecting the location of the X-Prize Cup

Selecting the location of the X-Prize Cup

Posted by: The Legionnaire - Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:02 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 4 posts ] 

Which state will host the first X PRIZE CUP?
Poll ended at Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:02 pm
California 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Florida 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Oklahoma 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
New Mexico 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
The Cup will be canceled. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Selecting the location of the X-Prize Cup   Posted on: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:02 pm
Here's a new press release from the X PRIZE Foundation, discussing the four semifinalists in the bid to host the X PRIZE CUP, an annual competition of X PRIZE vehicles.

I think Florida will win; they have the best facilities and the most experience in space-related tourism. What do you think?

------

X PRIZE FOUNDATION NARROWS THE SEARCH FOR HOST OF ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL SPACE RACES

The X PRIZE Foundation is getting ready to choose the semifinalists in the bid to host the first annual X PRIZE Cup. Four US States, California, Florida, Oklahoma and New Mexico will compete for the venue and the chance to host the first air show for the private space community....

The X PRIZE Foundation plans to leverage the competitive and sponsorship aspects of the $10 million X PRIZE into an annual, publicly attended event known as the X PRIZE CUP. This two-week long event will take place at the same time and same location each year and will allow all X PRIZE-Class vehicles to compete for cash prizes in a series races resulting in a single winner. While only one team will win the $10 Million X PRIZE, many teams are expected to create reusable launch vehicles in the private sector...

Said X PRIZE Chairman Peter H. Diamandis: "The X PRIZE Cup has the potential to become one of the largest space-related events. We expect to draw hundreds of thousands of people from around the world to a single Spaceport. They will attend to watch a dozen launches per day and cheer for their favorite team."

Post    Posted on: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:39 am
Obviously, Florida has a huge advantage due to the fact that most of the public has only seen launches from Florida. But I'd like to see a comparison of the proposals or maybe what the XPRIZE teams think about the different locations.

Also, in keeping with the premise of using no government funding for construction of the XPRIZE vehicles, I assume the XPRIZE organization is looking for proposals with private sponsorships :) and NOT GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS! :evil:

Please give the taxpayers a break. The whole idea is to develop a self-sustaining suborbital industry, is it not?

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat May 22, 2004 6:12 pm
I personally hope its hosted in california or New Mexico (because i live closest to those states) :lol: , but seriously, the XPC sounds like it's going ot need to put some extremely hefty safety precautions into place.... with a dozen launches a day, and the pressure and stress of a competion, I think extreme safety (well, as much safety as you can have dealing with large amounts of extremely flammable chemical propellant :shock:) is going to have to be a major point with the contest coordinators.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat May 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Diadem wrote:
I personally hope its hosted in california or New Mexico (because i live closest to those states) :lol: , but seriously, the XPC sounds like it's going ot need to put some extremely hefty safety precautions into place.... with a dozen launches a day, and the pressure and stress of a competion, I think extreme safety (well, as much safety as you can have dealing with large amounts of extremely flammable chemical propellant :shock:) is going to have to be a major point with the contest coordinators.

New Mexico won to host the X Prize Cup.

For comments on New Mexico visit the topic http://www.xprize.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=313

For comments on: Florida is still hoping to host the X PRIZE CUP
http://www.xprize.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=318

I'm locking this topic now, because this story "poll" has ended, and to make sure this topic won't confuse other new forum members.
If you don't agree with this beeing locked, send me a private message.

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]