Community > Forum > European Space Activities > What happened to EADS Phoenix project

What happened to EADS Phoenix project

Posted by: Andy Hill - Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
What happened to EADS Phoenix project 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post What happened to EADS Phoenix project   Posted on: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 pm
With all the recent talk of future space vehicle I was wondering what had happened about the EADS Phoenix project that looked so promising a couple of years ago.

http://www.astrium.eads.net/families/ac ... rm=phoenix

I would have thought we should have seen something more by now, is the project still going or has it been cancelled, anyone know?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:44 pm
The Phoenix was only a general test vehicle of Astrium and that program was successfully concluded a few years ago (in 2004 I think).

The Future Launcher Preparatory Program (FLPP) is running very well. For example after the cancellation of the Vinci engine for the Ariane 5 ECB upper stage as a separate program the development runs as part of the FLPP and is making good progress.

ESA is regularly updating the public through their publications. I think you should be able in the UK to order some of them for free. I can search the address where to order publications for you tomorrow if you like.

When I'm back at home and at my broadband internet (anybody here still knows analogue modem connections? ;) ) I can make an update of all ESA programs. For example the Vega launcher is facing performance problems in its Zefiro-9 stage and the Soyuz launch site construction in Kourou experienced problems with the underground.

edit: I did an overview over the FLPP
latest news was about an FLPP test craft called European Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle (IXV).

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:12 pm
I had forgotten that phoenix was only the first in a series of vehicles that ESA were going to develop, there is not much about them on ESA's website (or at least I struggled to find it) and the next generation launcher page has not been updated since Dec 2005.

Klaus Schmidt wrote:
ESA is regularly updating the public through their publications. I think you should be able in the UK to order some of them for free. I can search the address where to order publications for you tomorrow if you like.

Thanks Klaus that would be great.

Klaus Schmidt wrote:
When I'm back at home and at my broadband internet (anybody here still knows analogue modem connections? ;) )

Its been a long time since I used an analogue connection. The last time was on a 14kb modem in Siberia about 6 years ago using a Russian ISP was an absolute nightmare. :)

Profile WWW