Community > Forum > Official Interorbital Systems Forum > SFS News: Micro-Philanthropists Launch Private-Sector Space

SFS News: Micro-Philanthropists Launch Private-Sector Space

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:35 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
SFS News: Micro-Philanthropists Launch Private-Sector Space 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post SFS News: Micro-Philanthropists Launch Private-Sector Space   Posted on: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:35 pm
Through a unique funding concept, and for the first time in history, citizens of the Earth will have a chance to participate in a private-sector satellite launch—for as little as $1, or 1 Euro.

Interorbital Systems (IOS), an American rocket manufacturer and launch provider headquartered in Mojave, California, has entered into a joint venture with European philanthropic organization Vision One www.visionone.tv to participate in the launch of a satellite, ‘Eyes in Space’ (EIS-Sat). From their studios in Luebeck, Germany, filmmaker/producers Bruce Jessop and Lars Kohlsaat ---Vision One’s co-founders---have tapped Interorbital Systems to launch a private-sector $1.2 million satellite mission, as well as a follow-on $35 million lunar photographic mission.

The selection of Interorbital by Vision One has sent waves of excitement through the commercial spacelaunch business community. The initial satellite launch will be flown on IOS’ new orbital rocket, the Sea Star TSAAHTO (Two-Stage-And-A-Half-To-Orbit). The rocket will also carry into space an electronic list containing all the names of those who helped make the launch possible.

“We at Vision One feel that this type of project and technology developed by IOS is a ‘must support.’ This is an affordable type of space access with tremendous potential for humanity. It’s an international, independent effort by individuals promoting human ingenuity and creativity, and working outside the usual government/military space agencies,â€

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 am
Firstly, I can see no way on the Vision One site to specifically donate for the EIS-Sat project.

Secondly, Vision One have seen fit to associate themselves with and promote what looks to me like a delusional snake-oil salesman.

Thirdly, since when has panhandling been an innovative and unique approach to funding?

I wouldn't touch Vision One with a barge-pole.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:34 am
From a business perspective, if they provide the money I wouldn't have a concern working with them. I don't think this is an exclusive deal with VisionOne. I can imagine that finding money isn't easy, so I don't think they have enough business partners to be picky about them.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:10 pm
Hi Sigurd

I totally agree that IOS can take the view that Vision One's money is as good as anyone else's.

Looking at the Vision One site again, there is a clear implication that there will only be one current project that funds are being raised for, and that the current project is EIS-Sat, so my first point could be disputed. I would be a lot happier to see the project specified as the line item on the PayPal form.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:02 pm
I sort of agree there also! The page could do with being more EIS-Sat orientated or atleast make it screamingly obvious. also an info pack with some details sent out to people donating would be a nice touch, i dont know if this is happening?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:09 pm
I don't think it would be viable to send anything out for a $1 donation, and they do say they would rather have lots of $1 donations than a few big ones. I guess they figure nobody will sue them over a dollar.

I believe this video is of the Bruce Jessop you would be giving your dollar to.

A flying saucer cover-up nut who thinks Stanton Friedman is an 'authority'.

Moderator: IOSCEO