Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > Potential Contenders

Potential Contenders

Posted by: Klaus Schmidt - Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:28 am
 [ 27 posts ] 
Potential Contenders 
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:54 am
Hello, gaetanomarano,

you seem to mix at least two distinct property rights - one is the property right of your intellectual products and the other is the property right of your innovations, inventions etc.

Google has no way stolen something of your intellectual property rights if at all anything. They do no way claim to be the first who have had the idea.

What Google only do is to make the idea reality - and this they are free to do whenever they want.

It's like the invention of the car - there are a lot of car companies all over the world - but none of them claims to be the inventor of the car or the idea of it. But they all are free to make the idea of the car reality whenever they want - the only thing they are forbidden by property rights of brand is to produce nearly the same car another company already makes reality (Volkswagen mustn't produce a Mercedes).

It is not clear that there was noone who had the idea before you had it since there are very lots of private websites like yours and 100% of them would have to be searched for the idea before you can claim to be the first who had it - BUT even if you were the first you didn't make it reality. This means that Google didn't hurt any of your property rights by making the idea reality. They simply do what each company on this planet does.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:17 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
you seem to mix at least two distinct property rights - one is the property right of your intellectual products and the other is the property right of your innovations, inventions etc.

very important but not the main problem now (that is "censorship")

TWO days ago (a very long time for the web's standards!) Bravenet has REMOVED my blog and DELETED my account with a PAID web hosting and two other (unused) domain names, that without any (good or bad) reason and without send me a mail before (nor after) the blog/account deletion!

it's an incredible episode of censorship, that, I believe, can't be a Bravenet-only decision, since its goal is to increase the number of customers, not lose them!

also, what is very strange in this story is the DELETION of my full Bravenet account and the PAID web hosting!

this decision can have just ONE goal: avoid the TRANSFER of my domains names to ANOTHER web hosting service!

solved this "basic" problem, my goal will be to SHOW the REAL lunar-prize's story to as much peoples as possible

that will never help me to have anything, but could warn other peoples from revealing their good ideas to big companies...

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:06 pm
Hello, gaetanomarano,

Simply ask them for the reasons - non-publicly first and if you don't get an answer then ask them publicly.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:17 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
Simply ask them for the reasons - non-publicly first and if you don't get an answer then ask them publicly.

that's EXACTLY what I've done

I've sent several messages to their "24/7 support staff" from "September 22, 2007 10:23:14" to "September 23, 2007 23:06:09" and received no answer for 30+ hours

then, at "September 24, 2007 04:12:07" I've received a brief reply to say me that my "support tickets have been forwarded to the appropriate department to be looked into"

while I'm writing this post (both) my blog and Bravenet account still are inaccessible (TWO+ days after deletion)

there are several points that suggest me a "censorship" rather than a "technical problem"

1. connecting to my blog's URL appears a colorful "welcome screen" not a simple error message, so, their computer work well and the blog deletion is a Bravenet DECISION

2. it can't be a technical problem since, also the most scarce provider, offer a 99.9% up-time, that means a site could be down just a few minutes per day (MAX) not TWO FULL DAYS (so far)

3. assuming they had a "good reason" to close my blog (but I don't see any good reason to do it!) that never can be a good reason to delete my full Bravenet account with a PAID web hosting and three PAID domain names (so, now, I can't unlock to transfer them on another server)

4. the fact that, two+ days after, they have not solved the problem (if it's a technical problem) nor explained me the reason of their decision to close my blog and delete my account; consider that Bravenet is not a garage-company but a big internet service provider with over 1 million hosted domains, so, I can't imagine they can leave the web-farm and so many customers alone for two full days!!! they surely have thousands very important customers (more than me and my blog) so I can't imagine they can keep one or hundreds websites down for more than FEW MINUTES !!!

5. last but not least, after years of perfect work, everything bad to my blog and Bravenety account has happened exactly in the SAME days I'm talking about Google and "its" lunar prize... a very strange and timely coincidence...

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:28 am

for those who are curious to know more about the censorship story...

now I've more info about that case to explain why that happened

all that was due to three "blames" ...from Me, Bravenet and Google:

My blame: I've "put my head in the guillotine" posting my protest about the lunar X prize also on Google.Groups ("the house of wolfs"...) in the space policy, shuttle and four others, offering them an easy opportunity to "cut my head"

Bravenet blame: they have received a report and immediately deleted my blog and account without ask me or verify if that report was true or due to a dispute (so, if you have a site on Bravenet, everybody can "kill" it just sending a report to Bravenet, since they never ask you!)

Google blame: despite I've offered them a juicy opportunity to cut my head, that "gift" had come to me from Google (as I've imagined) ...but they are not so "smart" since I'll re-open soon my blog and they have only collected a further negative publicity

of course, I will never do again the mistake of posting my protest about the lunar prize on Google.Groups...

now that this story is known in details and ended (hoping I'll have no problems to transfer and re-open my blog) I wish to say my thanks to all forums and blogs that have hosted my protest without any censorship (nor having fear of Google)

last, since I need time to put my blog online again, those that want to read my blog's articles can download this .pdf file:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=85344279

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:02 pm
There is an approach that might broaden the number of possible contenders perhaps.

t/Space has designed the concept to deliver propellants between Earth and Moon along trajectories where the time towards the Moon is much longer than in the case of the Apollos.

To apply such an approach may reduce the propellant requirments and the required rockets or number of launches also.

What about such longer times of travel regarding the lunar rover competition?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:12 pm
I'm don't know about t/Space's concept but the less propellant-longer flight trajectories I know are based on high elliptical orbits ideally for piggyback payloads on GTO missions.

I'm not sure if Falcon 1 would have any reasonable payload for such orbits.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:27 am
Hello, Klaus,

what about the trade between payload mass and propellant mass enabled by t/Space's approach? - the rover could be heavier while the required amount of propellant could be smaller.

The approach is described in the document "Lunar Exploration and Development (LED)" ( www.transformspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... EB1A173B97 ) - this document I am referring to in the Lunar Soyuz-thread in the Financial Barriers section.
Quote:
Two types of lunar trajectories

Prof. Ed Belbruno of Princeton University and Innovative Orbital Dynamics has developed the trajectories to be used in the t/Space approach. The CEVs will travel in a standard Hohmann transfer from LEO to a highly elliptical lunar orbit, a journey that takes about four days. The tankers will depart on a Weak Stability Boundary transfer that takes about three months. The longer transit time is balanced by lower fuel requirements; in a WSB transfer, the vehicle slips into lunar orbit without burning any significant fuel to decelerate, as the CEVs must. The greater efficiency allows the tankers to deliver more of their fuel to the CEVs, before the tankers take a return WSB transfer back to LEO.

By the way - t/Space might be a contender - in the document
"Presentation to NASA’s Human and Robotic Lunar Roadmap Panel: Creating a Frontier" ( www.transformspace.com/document_library ... pdated.pdf ) they are talking about a rover in short.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 pm
Here's some more info about Carnegie Mellon University's rover:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=23635

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:10 pm
In between there is a personal link between t/Space and a new contender. According to the article "Carnegie Mellon Sets Sights on Google's Lunar X Prize" ( www.space.com/spacenews/071001_business ... prize.html ) t/Space-president David Gump is the advisor of the contender X-PLORE.

The article provides interesting aspects and issues regarding what is required to have a chance to win the prize.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post An Idea Is Not An Invention.   Posted on: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:28 pm
gaetanomarano wrote:

TWO years ago I've invented (and published on my website and several space forums and blogs) the idea of a Moonrovers Prize competition:

An INVENTION isn't the thought or idea of doing something: it is the perfection of a device (or method and representative device) for accomplishing things that people agree are worth doing. A PATENTABLE invention is one which is new, not trivial or obvious and can be patented only if documentation is provided to TEACH others to make similar devices (preferably after the patent's exclusive time duration ends).

I have read about a lot of prize ideas.

You could have established your prize effort (and still can) by a simple proven method: PUT DOWN THE PRIZE MONEY.

GOOGLE could and did just this. You didn't. That is what makes the difference.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:02 am
Wow, a few teams are moving ahead full bore already! I've spoken to some fellow coworkers about potentially putting a team together to enter the competition. I guess we should decide right away if we are really serious about doing this. :roll: