Community > Forum > Google Lunar X PRIZE > SFS News: Google Sponsors Lunar X PRIZE to Create a Space...

SFS News: Google Sponsors Lunar X PRIZE to Create a Space...

Posted by: Klaus Schmidt - Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:02 pm
 [ 50 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
SFS News: Google Sponsors Lunar X PRIZE to Create a Space... 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:56 am
Just curious, will there be a new space fellowship forum or subforum for this competion? It would be great. It would certainly encourage discussion and debate.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:43 am
Rocket Scientist wrote:
Just curious, will there be a new space fellowship forum or subforum for this competion? It would be great. It would certainly encourage discussion and debate.

Three ......, the same idea. Rob and you had the same idea while I meanwhile created such a forum ;) Just scroll down the main forum page to "Google Lunar X PRIZE"

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am
thomson wrote:
If I were you, I would be happy that (maybe, just maybe) I have contributed to the advancement of the space exploration of the human race.

in other words, if a multibillion$$$ private company use your valuable idea without pay a cent, you'll be happy?

my new article about the possible lunar prize WINNERS: http://www.ghostnasa.com/posts/009prizewinner.html

YouTube video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqIgl0kXkmo

ghostNASA.com
gaetanomarano.it

Last edited by gaetanomarano on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:32 pm
I am wonderung why and how I overlooked this thread since thursday last week when it was started.

Regarding the launch prices and vehicles please keep in mind that Elon Musk has said that SpaceX's present launch prices don't account for reusability - because of this he also has said that the prices will drop significantly and quickly later.

In the thread about SpaceX's economics in the Finmancial Barriers section I am looking for the fixed costs and the variable costs of the Falcons at present - I'll go on there soon. The initial raw numbers got already seem to say that the launch prices of the Falcons may drop down to the range from $ 1.5 mio (Falcon 1) to $ 7 mio (Falcon 9 Heavy). Future posts will lead to better results but these show that the launch costs don't need to be that high.

The Falcon 1 can launch 570 kg - this should be sufficient for an unmanned rover. So if the prices have dropped down to that range ubtil 2012/2013 then the rover could be in orbit at $ 1.5 mio. Next a stage required to launch the rover towards the Moon could be sent via one of the alternative Falcon 9s - at $ 7 mio maximum in that year.

This would mean $ 8.5 mio for the launch without the costs of the stage required. Perhaps some piggy-pack-objects will be added - dropping the share of the competitors have to pay of the price. And the numbers don't account for the 10% rebate yet.

Unfortunately I don't have available the weight of the surveyors and the Lunochod at present - but as far as I remmeber they had engines, tanks and propellants weighing not that much. They consumed solids if I remember correct.

Surveor shutdown its engine at 4 m altitude and landed as if something was dropped from 13 cm on Earth - might that be a model for a rover weighing no more than 570 kg?

It will be interesting to look for the weight of ARCHIMEDES also.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:56 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
I am wonderung why and how I overlooked this thread since thursday last week when it was started.

I was wondering that too :P :D

Falcon 1e should be capable of putting up to 723 kilograms into orbit. Of course Earth orbit, so there's reduction in capacity for Lunar orbit.. Perhaps I look into numbers later on about a possible payload mass for the Moon.

edit: To put it into the correct forum section:
:arrow: http://spacefellowship.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=26337#26337

Profile WWW