Community > Forum > Technology & Science > What about this rejected X prize application?

What about this rejected X prize application?

Posted by: Lindstrom9 - Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:05 pm
 [ 26 posts ] 
What about this rejected X prize application? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:10 am
Zzap212 wrote:
Quote:
Seems more feasible to me than "Discraft"...

How can you possibly rationalize a statement like that? Blastwave pulse jets have been developed, you can build one yourself. You can find fully fuctional units on the internet, you can even find a go-cart using a lockwood valveless pulse jet(basically the same thing)

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/lhkart.shtml
http://www.blastwavejet.com/

At least do some research before you blast valid technologies in defense of "conceptual" physics. Don't get me wrong I hope GCT can pull it off, but I know for a fact they are way behind discraft.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:50 pm
i don't think discraft has done any work at all on their ship, i'm pretty sure theirs is one of the applications just for publicity. their conceptual design is just fine, but as they have no actual ship or team working on a ship (there's no way they could keep a project like this secret now), they're really nothing at all.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:19 am
You're probably right. I was just making the point that they are working with proven technology, not antimater or gravity manipulators like GCT. If discraft would be down with Cloud 9, I would gladly go into business with them.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sun May 02, 2004 9:46 am
j96 wrote:
I've worked in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and High Energy Particle physics, and sorry, but GCT is hokey even if they possess some understanding of modern science. Why? If they could produce a room temperature superconductor (needed for their anti-gravity machine), GE, ABB, etc. would be beating down their door to invest - forget the anti-gravity stuff. Their money troubles would instantly be behind them - we're talking Nobel Prize.

I have devised a room temperature superconductor, for postively charged ions, not electrons, and nobody cares. I've also elucidated what causes criminal behavior and how to fix it, and guess what? Ditto. Please do not presume that great inventions are obvious to anyone with wits. Frankly, most people are happy without a wit in their head. 8)

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 4:39 am
TogetherinParis wrote:
I have devised a room temperature superconductor, for postively charged ions, not electrons, and nobody cares. I've also elucidated what causes criminal behavior and how to fix it, and guess what? Ditto. Please do not presume that great inventions are obvious to anyone with wits. Frankly, most people are happy without a wit in their head. 8)

The quoted author included.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 5:49 am
See? 8)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 11:46 am
TogetherinParis wrote:
See? 8)

Ever hear the phrase 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof' :?:

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 8:12 pm
a room temperature for positive ions..... i can't think of it off the top of my head but i'm pretty sure you can do that with fairly simple chemical means. it might not be a superconductor, but it's easy to move ions in solution.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 10:16 pm
I may be wrong but do you even need a conductor at all to move charged ions? They'll flow through the air or through a vacuum as well. I'm pretty sure that you'd call that an ion drive, just like the ones NASA is currently testing and flying. I would think a simple vacuum tube would act as a 'superconductor' for charged ions. I also don't see any use for it even if it's something else. How many devices even use charged ions, either positive or negative in a way that a superconductor is desired?

This positively charged ion conductor, sounds an awful lot like the guy who was selling 'solar powered clothes dryers' in magazines for $10 plus shipping and handling. He sent people a $2 clothesline. The criminal behavior bit is what sounds extraordinary to me. Actually the implication in there that criminal behavior has a single cause is pretty funny. Also pretty much irrelevant here, unless it's a nothing more than a form of baloney indicator.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 03, 2004 11:06 pm
well, there is at least one thing involving ions that both involves electricity and is common. it's called a battery. of course, i doubt a superconductor, unless it's the wire hooked up to the battery, would do anything one way or another, but i suppose it's possible.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue May 04, 2004 5:13 am
Quote:
I have devised a room temperature superconductor, for postively charged ions, not electrons, and nobody cares.

A definition of superconductivity from UTexas - "An electronic state of matter characterized by zero resistance, perfect diamagnetism, and long-range quantum mechanical order."

TerraMars nailed it - TogetherinParis might think that s/he has invented a superconducter for 'postively charge ions', but my guess has instead has produced a battery that creates enough potential to overcome the resistance inate in a circuit. Hook up a multimeter, and it reads zero resistance since the voltage drop is zero. Not really superconducting since you still have resistance, but if you ask TogetherinParis, s/he could probably send you a worn out Engergizer for $10 that demonstrates the effect. A true superconductor does not need outside chemical energy injected into the system.

TIP - what are your qualifications such that we might believe you would be able to tell the difference?