Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Data about SpaceX's Falcons estimated...

Data about SpaceX's Falcons estimated...

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:54 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
Data about SpaceX's Falcons estimated... 
Post Data about SpaceX's Falcons estimated...   Posted on: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:54 am
Bernd Leitenberger has estimated some data about Falcon 1, Falcon 5 and Falcon 9 that are NOT listed or available at SpaceX's website. And at his website earlier data about the Falcon V are available too. I am thinking about using those data in the Excel spreadsheet I am working on in the Financial Barriers section in the Lunar Siyuz-thread.

Unfortunately the website and thus the data are in german language: www.bernd-leitenberger.de/falcon.shtml .

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:56 am
Very nice find! Thanks.

Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:25 am
If someone knows more such estimations please list them here and if the results are different or very different discuss the alternative results in this thread. What about listing calculations, technical, physical, chemical or simply mathematical formulars and logical conclusions? Bernd Leitenberger expalins his conclusions and estimations to some degree.

Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:47 pm
I just this moment had a look to the site and found that there are no question marks no more at the numbers. More interesting yet a broad history of numbers is listed.

In particular the Isps are given - I remember not to have seens then at SpaceX's homepage.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 pm
Isps für Merlin 1C
http://www.spacex.com/falcon1.php#merlin_engine

(Isp for Kestrel below)

edit: by judging the information about the "recent" events I can't give that page much credit.

Just as an example, regarding Falcon1 flight3:
He writes about how the stage separation has failed and how strange such an error is with something as easy as stage separation and how this should not happen with redundant "pyrotechnic detonators".

Well first, the stage separation has worked just fine, there was only the error of a wrong timing. Second: as far as I know stage separation is done with pneumatic pushers, not pyrotechnics.

He does correct the failure of stage separation later on, but a) he shouldn't have judged SpaceX for an error before it was made public what exactly had happend and b) in the same sentence he writes again how incompetent SpaceX are, because supposedly the same thing has already happened on flight2, which is just plain wrong as anybody can see in the demoflight2 video on the spacex site.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:31 pm
Great information though. Wow over 3mil hits on that site too! Wonder if thats real?

Monroe