Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Space Diving

Space Diving

Posted by: slycker - Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:26 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Space Diving 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Space Diving   Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:26 pm
I picked up a copy of popular science (June '07) while traveling recently, and saw an article about space diving that made a number of references to Armidillo & John Carmack. When I first flipped to the article, I immediately noticed - doesn't that illustration's space craft look a lot like pixel?

While the likelihood of me actually jumping may take many years and a lot of confidence in the suit I was wearing, if I were to jump, I think I'd prefer Armidillo's open design. Fly up, stand up, jump off, and the craft lands itself (or, at least, someone on the ground lands it...)

John,
How serious is this possibility in your mind? Will it be something that would be easy enough to just 'tack on' whenever an interested customer comes along?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:54 pm
slycker - Part of the reason it probably looks like pixel is because AA and Orbital Outfitters are going to do a space dive, and break the record set back in the 60s, to among other things test out OO's space suit. My understanding, from what was discussed at ISDC, is that they will use some variation on AA's 4 module rocket, which is very similiar to pixel
Alan talked about what was discussed at ISDC over at the cosmic log

As far as a long term sport, I get the impression that it may happen, but there are some real details that have to be ironed out, specifically in the realm of regulations and insurance. As usual, the regulations are important

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space Diving   Posted on: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 pm
slycker wrote:
I picked up a copy of popular science (June '07) while traveling recently, and saw an article about space diving that made a number of references to Armidillo & John Carmack.

Just as a clarification, that would actually be the July '07 issue (out on the newsstands now because of the way magazines are published).

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:24 pm
I read the article and was simply amazed that anyone would propose such a feat. At least someone is thinking ahead when many people will be traveling and working in space. I'd still like to know more about the thermal proection properties of the suit, especially if their idea of jumping from 150 miles actually happens.

Here's the article about the space diving suit.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationsp ... drcrd.html

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:21 pm
No idea when something like this will actually come to be a possibility... All I can say is that if I'm still able to walk at the time, sign me up! Very exciting, you're going to get tons of people who have gone skydiving before looking for an even bigger thrill, and that certainly seems to be it!

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW