Scaled Composites

Posted by: Captain_John_Black - Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:59 am
 [ 50 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Scaled Composites 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Scaled Composites   Posted on: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:59 am
Here's two links to all the wonderful information on SpaceShipOne or what I've been refering to as "The SSO" :-)

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/ ... s_text.htm

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/ ... t_data.htm

The website is in frames but those are just the page links. So you can actually read it!!

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers." Richard Feynman

Post new test   Posted on: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:25 pm
The glider flew again on 27 Aug. with a test of its "feather" reentry characteristics and expanded flight envelopes. This thing is going to fly to space before the end of the year I would think.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:50 am
How far along has the engine development for the SS1 come? Has Scaled chosen yet which engine they like best? I hope the engine(s) still need a lot of testing and tweaking to give the other teams more time to finish their projects and beat Scaled Composites to the finish line.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:04 pm
Oh well, according to the latest test flight report on september 23rd, SS1 had quite unexpected aft-CG handling characteristics. The competition might yet get very exciting.

Post In Flight Engine Firing   Posted on: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:40 pm
SS1 flew on 4 Dec, and fired it's rocket engine.

http://www.mojavebooks.com/mhv/031204-1.html

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:15 pm
Good I hope it becomes the first of many!

Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:58 pm
There's supposed to be a 30-day notification requirement before any X-prize attempts. Haven't heard anything. Looks like the Wright anniversry will come and go, but looks like an early 2004 attempt.

Profile WWW
Post Notification   Posted on: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:37 am
Irving, are you with the X Prize committee? If not, then why do you think you would receive any notification? I'd guess Rutan will give short notice, if any before his first attempt at suborbital.

Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:57 am
No, not with the committee. But considering the Xprize's grandiose Cup plans, you'd expect quick publicity as soon as any team offically notifies of the attempt. While I can accept the need for each of the teams to work in secret, the Xprize committee would be undermining its own efforts to keep such information secret. For the long-term impact of the x-prize, it would be important to obtain maxiumum publicity for any attempt--to include the month-long lead-up to any such attempt.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:32 am
If Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites work as they have on previous projects, such as Voyager, development was private, flights were very public. Once Rutan has 100% confidence in the design, we will all know about the flight plans.

Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:45 pm
I coming of the belief that Scaled is shooting for a (un-offical x-prize) suborbital flight on Dec 17th. If successful, 30-day notification of an Official X-Prize attempt should soon follow.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:10 pm
Irving wrote:
I coming of the belief that Scaled is shooting for a (un-offical x-prize) suborbital flight on Dec 17th. If successful, 30-day notification of an Official X-Prize attempt should soon follow.

there's no way, they haven't even fired their engine yet, they can't do it that soon.

Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:15 pm
Witness the engine test firing. Note: I'm not saying it will be an X-prize flight. But I expect a flight which includes firing the rocket on the 17th for the Wright anniversary.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:54 pm
Irving wrote:
Witness the engine test firing. Note: I'm not saying it will be an X-prize flight. But I expect a flight which includes firing the rocket on the 17th for the Wright anniversary.

that's what i expect too, but not suborbital. probably a horizontal firing to get it supersonic then they'll feather and come down.

Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:04 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
Irving wrote:

that's what i expect too, but not suborbital. probably a horizontal firing to get it supersonic then they'll feather and come down.

Possibly. However I'd think they'd like something more significant for the Wright Anniversary. Not an X-Prize attempt, but the 1st private sub-orbital flight maybe.

Profile WWW