Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Lunar Library v2.0

Lunar Library v2.0

Posted by: murphydyne - Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:28 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Lunar Library v2.0 

Did you enjoy your visit to the Lunar Library?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I feel like I'm already on the Moon! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
This guy's just a cold-hearted capitalist trying to make money off Amazon links 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Lunar Library v2.0 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Lunar Library v2.0   Posted on: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:28 pm
I just wanted to let everyone know about the updated and webified Lunar Library. Pretty much everything published on the Moon that I've been able to get my hands on, with links to on-line texts, reviews, interviews and more.

Please stop by and browse the stacks at:

http://www.outofthecradle.net/categories/lunar-library/

This takes you to the main page, and the menus on the left allow you to drill down to a particular area of interest, from 'Selenology' to 'Space Biz' to 'Big Rocks from Space' to 'High Frontier Resources'. There's also a section on youth-oriented (up to ~14 y.o.) references and stories. There are over 150 titles in the 'Moon Fiction' section, and many have been reviewed.

The Library encompasses everything from globes to board games, slide sets to software, analogue Moon rocks to science flash cards, coloring books to posters. All entries in this biblioblography are from real items, so this is not just a collection of weblinks and notes culled from other sources. This is the real thing, and there's no other site like it on the web for exploring how you can learn more about our Moon and the High Frontier.

Ken Murphy
Lunar Librarian
Co-chair, 2007 ISDC

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:25 pm
Have links to the nasa.gov Ares V page on your home page, if you will.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:31 pm
That would have to involve me having:

a) a hardcopy or CD-ROM version of the Ares V report
b) the ability to make something stay on the homepage

All things pass into history. Besides, the Ares V is an imaginary rocket, which I'm less inclined to, although you do remind me that I have some old Launch Vehicle Guides for existing and operating rockets, and that I should add them as references in the High Frontier Facilities/Infrastructure section.

Thanks, publiusr.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:37 am
Nice website, friend. Would've been handy to have that at hand when I was on the AIAA Undergrad Space Design Competition team from Georgia Tech for a Lunar transportation system (yes, it's a mouthful, I know). But we won anyway, so I'm still happy.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:17 am
Thanks, pardner. You're spot on with regards to the motivation I had in upgrading it. I wanted to create a place where people wanting to do research on the Moon, or the High Frontier, could find potential titles of interest. Where the text is available on-line I gave the link, and in spite of what the voter above thinks, one doesn't make money on Amazon links. Besides, why would I link to the publisher's information page if I wanted everything to go through Amazon? Or link to other sites that have their own Amazon links? Because it's the information that's important, not the source.

Just be sure to check back in periodically, as it is updated regularly. Got three new titles that should arrive this week, maybe four, and I added close to a dozen older titles this last weekend that I found up in Denton.

Thanks for the kind words.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Lunar Library Update   Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 am
I was wandering through my bloglist and saw that I hadn't been by since the Lunar Library opened up. Largely because I was tied up with the ISDC. There have been a lot of great updates, interesting treasures found, and even a Best of the Moon 2006.

My motivation for these musings was to make mention of the many Moon stories that I have reviewed in association with the Moon Fiction section of the Lunar Library. I'm getting to around 150 individual reviews of books, manga, comics, novellas, and shorts, so if you're looking for some good Lunar sci fi for lazy summer reading you're likely to find something of interest there.

There's lots of other good stuff, like the National Research Council report on the Scientific Context for Exploration of the Moon, or the Hugg-a-Planet Earth/Moon set. Lots of free goodies I got at the ISDC. Just a whole wealth of Moon and High Frontier related stuff.

Last edited by murphydyne on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Best of the Moon 2007   Posted on: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 pm
Howdy everyone! Speaking of the Best of the Moon 2006 in the last post, I've just posted the Best of the Moon 2007 over at Out of the Cradle. Lots of interesting 2007 additions to the Lunar Library are reviewed, and everyone is bound to find something of interest.