Community > Forum > Bigelow's America's Space Prize > Bigalow Info'?

Bigalow Info'?

Posted by: beancounter - Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:27 am
 [ 38 posts ] 
Bigalow Info'? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:59 pm
I agree with Andy Hill; especially about the element of patriotism. The name of the $50 million orbital prize (America's Space Prize) and the rule stating that the Contestant must have its principal place of business in the United States of America shows that.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:22 pm
Don't you think it's silly? I mean, sure they want to 'help' the US economy, but this is a little bit extreme if you're talking about spacebusiness imo.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:24 pm
No sillier than football fans painting their team colors on their bodies. Less silly that that IMO.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 pm
campbelp2002 wrote:
No sillier than football fans painting their team colors on their bodies. Less silly that that IMO.

Some comparison :roll:

Let's say that a Russion/Ukrain company is out there and could technically compete for the prize plus they can do it for less then any US company. How silly do you have to be to not choose them?

(fair enough, the US rules for exporting/importing rocketry is a lot of work, but that would be the only valid business argument not to do this imo)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm
Stefan Sigwarth wrote:
Some comparison :roll:
Well that is just how I see patriotism sometimes. And it sometimes calls for sacrifices. Bigelow is making the sacrifice of giving up cheaper foreign capability to build up the U.S. capability.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 am
With Bigelow's recent announcement that he was accelerating his launch schedule and not doing some of the intermeadiate launches he had originally planned I wonder if this will have an impact on ASP.

http://spacefellowship.com/News/?p=2792

Seems to me that his problem is always going to be transport as no one seems to be making the progress at the rate necessary to compete for his prize. Anyone seen a list of who is actually competing and what stage they are at yet? I know a lot of us have assumed that SpaceX would be a front runner but have they even signed up?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:31 pm
SpaceX can't participate as far as I know due to the COTS program. Same with Rocketplane Kistler. Actual COTS somewhat replaced the ASP with even higher a (money) reward.

Besides that im my opinion ASP was dead from the beginning on. It seemed that Bigelow wanted to hitchhike on the X-Prize flights in 2004.
I think that there are no serious competitors became clear after Bigelow teamed with Lockheed Martin for investigating the possibility to man-rate the Atlas 5.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:21 am
I think you might be right, perhaps he should have put bigger prize up for grabs but then again one man cnt do everything and he probably has his hand full with the space stations he is trying to build.

Its a pity NASA didn't support him better and match the amount of money he put up, $100m might have encouraged a few of the larger companies to compete. It would have been a great centennial challenge but I guess NASA didn't want anything to interfer with their COTS program.

Thinking back I believe that the contest has only ever had an outside chance of producing something and that Bigelow realised this himself even before it was launched. As has been said before there is a great deal of difference between orbital and sub-orbital spaceflight.

Profile WWW